Rule question — INT into end zone

Carlitovol

::Straight cash homey::
Question for the rule experts out there...

On Hooker’s deep ball INT, the defender secured the ball at approx the one yard line (clearly before the ball crossed the goal line plane) and then his momentum carried him into the end zone.
My thought was that as soon as he gains possession, he’s now an offensive player and as such the ball should’ve been spotted at the ~1 yard line (i.e. forward progress going toward the opposite end zone).

Or is there a rule that makes an exception during a play where a turnover occurs (making a touchback the correct call during that scenario)?

Reactions: DMichel123
Question for the rule experts out there...

On Hooker’s deep ball INT, the defender secured the ball at approx the one yard line (clearly before the ball crossed the goal line plane) and then his momentum carried him into the end zone.
My thought was that as soon as he gains possession, he’s now an offensive player and as such the ball should’ve been spotted at the ~1 yard line (i.e. forward progress going toward the opposite end zone).

Or is there a rule that makes an exception during a play where a turnover occurs (making a touchback the correct call during that scenario)?

Looking forward to knowledgeable response. This is one where I believe college and pro rules differ, but not sure.

I guess if your momentum takes you into the end zone, it’s a touchback. It shouldn’t be a safety, but they should give him “forward progress” to the point where he got the INT.

Yeah , and “momentum” also seems like it could be pretty subjective. Like what if he caught the ball at the 5 and potentially could’ve stopped before the goal line , but instead just keeps running into the end zone without trying to “brake” at all..?

Posivil is correct; that was another one of Hooker's passes that was overthrown. Tillman might not have scored but he would have had a great chance at a catch (if not interfered with).

Reactions: posivol

VN Store

Back