Roy Wliams retiring at UNC

It isn't a great choice and has a real Matt Doherty type vibe to it, but at the same time, if I'm Carolina, I'd probably rather have Hubert Davis at $2.5 million than Rick Barnes at $6 million.
Not talking about Barnes specifically, but it just seems to me the UNC athletic department would be able to splurge. Football and basketball are pretty healthy right now for them. Pandemic hasn't stopped schools like Texas from hiring big name coaches in both sports. At least take some time and give some big time coaches something to think about, not like anyone is rushing to hire away Hubert Davis

North Carolina could have lured a big name from somewhere but that isn't the "Carolina way". They gave Matt Doherty 3 years to get going and canned him. Davis will probably get the same to get Carolina back on track.

Not talking about Barnes specifically, but it just seems to me the UNC athletic department would be able to splurge. Football and basketball are pretty healthy right now for them. Pandemic hasn't stopped schools like Texas from hiring big name coaches in both sports. At least take some time and give some big time coaches something to think about, not like anyone is rushing to hire away Hubert Davis
Oh, I agree. They didn't need to rush on him to keep him. I think the rush is mostly for the sake of optics. It gives the appearance that Davis wasn't a bottom of the barrel type hire because they couldn't land anyone of note. Hiring him now, and not delaying the inevitable, gives the appearance that they kicked the tires on some elite names and hired a guy they were totally comfortable with. Not the first choice, but maybe their 3rd or 4th choice, whether it really was, or not.

I only say that because UNC is a better job than both currently have now. They’re just in good spots personally.

Yep. Not about "better jobs." Today, reality is that all good coaches make alot of money, and they are comfortable at their current location where their fans love them.

The reality is you can win anywhere now. College athletics is a multi-billion dollar business. Resources (i.e. money) are more abundant than ever and you can pretty much win anywhere if you have the right coach. The inherent "leg up" that blue bloods used to have is not quite as big as it used to be.

Yep. Not about "better jobs." Today, reality is that all good coaches make alot of money, and they are comfortable at their current location where their fans love them.
It’s also weird they “swing for the fences” on the first pitch, then on the second lay down a bunt to advance a runner.

Reactions: VolGee4
Roy waiting in till April to retire probably didn’t help either.

John Beilein either must be done coaching college basketball or UNC is plain stupid because I’d rather Have Beilein for five years and try again

The reality is you can win anywhere now. College athletics is a multi-billion dollar business. Resources (i.e. money) are more abundant than ever and you can pretty much win anywhere if you have the right coach. The inherent "leg up" that blue bloods used to have is not quite as big as it used to be.

I agree. Plus just in general, the best coaches aren't leaving good, stable situations at power 5 schools for other power 5 jobs anymore unless there is some sort of extra pull like Chris Beard had with Texas. That's why I think it's ludicrous when some on here have suggested we could fire Barnes and go hire Nate Oats or someone of that caliber.

I am a big fan of Hubert Davis. His love for us during our elite eight run was so respectful. Especially the praise he rained on Wayne Chism. I hope he does well.

Reactions: Lampvol74
Was the OP a joke? No way in hell that was ever happening. UNC wasn't going to replace one really old guy w/ another really old guy.

VN Store

Back