Roy Pap Striegel

Tush Hog

Over the next two to three years I’m taking my sons to visit a number of grave sites, memorials, and important places in Tennessee football history.

I have a few lined up already and one that Id like to visit is for Pap Striegel. I know some of you here are familiar with how Pap Striegel was the person most responsible for our adopting the Orange jersey.

Most memorial sites and grave sites are easy to find. However, I’m having trouble locating information on Pap. Anyone able to help?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I do not have a subscription but I see in the Ancestry.com index that Striegels are listed in Decatur and Nashville. There is a Roy that passed in 1980 listed in Nashville but only gives date and no location.

Reactions: Tush Hog
Over the next two to three years I’m taking my sons to visit a number of grave sites, memorials, and important places in Tennessee football history.

I have a few lined up already and one that Id like to visit is for Pap Striegel. I know some of you here are familiar with how Pap Striegel was the person most responsible for our adopting the Orange jersey.

Most memorial sites and grave sites are easy to find. However, I’m having trouble locating information on Pap. Anyone able to help?

Thank you!

Do you have more info? Was he buried in Knoxville?

I would try Westmorland Cemetery. I might not have the spelling correct?

Reactions: Tush Hog

Thank you!

Paps in N Knoxville made a heck of a baloney sandwich in the 50s.

Reactions: UT Hill Man

Thank you!
Pap Striegel and my grandmother were first cousins. I know Pap’s parents are buried at Sardis Ridge Cemetery in Decatur County. Pap and his wife lived in Nashville. They didn’t have any children. Pap died in Nashville in 1980 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. I’m not sure if it is the Woodlawn in Nashville or Knoxville but I do know the name of the cemetery is Woodlawn.

Reactions: UT Hill Man
Pap Striegel and my grandmother were first cousins. I know Pap’s parents are buried at Sardis Ridge Cemetery in Decatur County. Pap and his wife lived in Nashville. They didn’t have any children. Pap died in Nashville in 1980 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. I’m not sure if it is the Woodlawn in Nashville or Knoxville but I do know the name of the cemetery is Woodlawn.
My Grandmother (Alma) was Roy’s brother.

My Grandmother (Alma) was Roy’s brother.
Looks like he’s buried in Nashville at Woodlawn. Too bad there’s not any memorabilia left with the family. That would be quite valuable and I’d be interested.

Attachments

• 8BEE6B55-69AA-431A-BFB3-8EDEB761347D.jpeg
    8BEE6B55-69AA-431A-BFB3-8EDEB761347D.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 18

VN Store

Back