Roster Updates

cncchris33

I hadn’t seen it mentioned, but Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and Justin Powell are both officially showing on the roster, now.

BHH is #2 and listed at 6-10, 235 lbs.
Powell is #24 and listed at 6-6, 185 lbs.

On Powell, one thing I found interesting is that he played his FR and SO years at Trinity in Louisville. If you know anything about KY high school sports, Trinity is to Kentucky HS sports what Brentwood Academy is to Tennessee sports. As a SO, he hit 51% from 3 on 250 attempts. 😳

He then transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida, but left after a semester and transferred back home to North Oldham HS in his hometown of Goshen, KY (suburb of Louisville), and had to sit out the majority of his JR year.

He then missed a large portion of his SR year due to sports hernia surgery (only played in about 8-9 games).

Obviously, he only played 10 games for AU, last year, due to the concussion.

So, I’d estimate that over the past 3 years, he’s played in fewer than 20 games of organized basketball (not counting AAU). That gives me both optimism and cause for concern. He was starting as a FR for a high-level SEC team and looking like the best player on the floor at times despite having played fewer than 10 games in 2 years prior. On the side of concern, is he a bit of an injury risk? Concussion and sports hernia are more fluke-type injuries than repetitive joint (knee/ankle/shoulder) injuries, so that is a bit of a plus.

I hadn’t seen it mentioned, but Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and Justin Powell are both officially showing on the roster, now.

On Powell, one thing I found interesting is that he played his FR and SO years at Trinity in Louisville. If you know anything about KY high school sports, Trinity is to Kentucky HS sports what Brentwood Academy is to Tennessee sports. As a SO, he hit 51% from 3 on 250 attempts. 😳

He then transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida, but left after a semester and transferred back home to North Oldham HS in his hometown of Goshen, KY (suburb of Louisville), and had to sit out the majority of his JR year.

He then missed a large portion of his SR year due to sports hernia surgery (only played in about 8-9 games).

So, I’d estimate that over the past 3 years, he’s played in fewer than 20 games of organized basketball (not counting AAU). That gives me both optimism and cause for concern. He was starting as a FR for a high-level SEC team and looking like the best player on the floor at times despite having played fewer than 10 games in 2 years prior. On the side of concern, is he a bit of an injury risk? Concussion and sports hernia are more fluke-type injuries than repetitive joint (knee/ankle/shoulder) injuries, so that is a bit of a plus.

I'm thinking Barnes will integrate him into the team slowly because of that history. We'll probably know more of what he is by conference time.

Reactions: savannahfan

Trinity is a power house. Had a friend go there.

Montverde Academy here in Florida is about the same thing as IMG in Bradenton but for basketball. They recruit like IMG kids all over the country like IMG.

Montverde Academy here in Florida is about the same thing as IMG in Bradenton but for basketball. They recruit like IMG kids all over the country like IMG.
Yes, I am surprised Coach Boyle hasn't received and/or taken a college assistant job anywhere. I would think that with his connections, he'd be in a high demand.

Reactions: CeJayVols

VN Store

Back