Roster tracker (updated 4/25)

Cade Tyson also visiting UNC next weekend and is from North Carolina. Same size mode as Knecht, but not as developed. Would be a good get if we can entice him.

Maybe the mods want to sticky this, up to them, but figured it could be useful with all the portal movement.

Available scholarships: 6

Current 2024-2025 Roster:

Zakai Zeigler (senior)
Jordan Gainey (senior)
Jahmai Mashack (senior)
Cameron Carr (sophomore)
JP Estrella (sophomore)
Cade Phillips (sophomore)
Bishop Boswell (freshman)

Departures to portal:
Jonas Aidoo (senior)
Tobe Awaka (junior)
Freddie Dillione (sophomore)
DJ Jefferson (sophomore)

Departures to graduation:
Dalton Knecht
Josiah Jordan James
Santiago Vescovi
At the rate of guys transferring the 2025-26 roster could be a completely different group of guys.

Rick's going to have to don his sexiest recruiting outfit and sing a siren song to lure at least one studly, experienced big man from the portal.
Otherwise, next season is going to be one BIG flop.
All this could be good or bad. Barnes did pretty good last year. With lift of E8 exposure, I'd say we're gonna be pretty salty again. Don't like roster turnover, but if we can upgrade, we've got opportunity to maintain this past year level. Think w/ existing players, if they all stayed, we'd have had a harder time maintaining high level success b/c less portal slots...we'll see.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
We have a roster? I say this as I mourn last year's team and how much churn is in college athletics now.
This has got to drive even the best of coaches entirely bonkers. Who cares about team. Who’s got the most cash. I mean we got a little NIL$ too so this whole thing of loving UT but going out to highest bidder is nuts anymore. Every season now a complete reshuffle.

Reactions: spyfish007
This has got to drive even the best of coaches entirely bonkers. Who cares about team. Who’s got the most cash. I mean we got a little NIL$ too so this whole thing of loving UT but going out to highest bidder is nuts anymore. Every season now a complete reshuffle.
I continually hear from people they are checked out on college sports now because the players are gone after a year. It is not good for the fans. Coaches I expect to get over it. Many are well paid.

I continually hear from people they are checked out on college sports now because the players are gone after a year. It is not good for the fans. Coaches I expect to get over it. Many are well paid.
Hearing about how hard it is for coaches is what annoys me. I get it for us fans, but all I hear on sports radio/ tv shows is people saying they feel for the coaches and how hard their job is now, and how many are getting out of it for that reason. It’s tone-deaf. Never for a minute will I pity these guys with the money they make. It better be a hard job for 3-10 million a year. Go find another line of work and let the next guy come in and get filthy rich having to deal with this mess. I’m sure there are a lot of guys out there who’d be happy to take it over for them.

Hearing about how hard it is for coaches is what annoys me. I get it for us fans, but all I hear on sports radio/ tv shows is people saying they feel for the coaches and how hard their job is now, and how many are getting out of it for that reason. It’s tone-deaf. Never for a minute will I pity these guys with the money they make. It better be a hard job for 3-10 million a year. Go find another line of work and let the next guy come in and get filthy rich having to deal with this mess. I’m sure there are a lot of guys out there who’d be happy to take it over for them.
Yeah 💯 agreed and to top it off. They have staff helping them achieve it!

Reactions: OrangeInKy
I agree. Gone are the days of 1983 roster, when you knew Reggie was #92, Tim McGee was 88, Johnnie Jones was 33 and Dale Jones was 54.

I feel CFB is going the way of CBB, where they'll expand the playoffs further, and will become a cobbling of free agents into each year's team, with most emphasis on getting to playoffs in hopes of getting hot. Don't like it one bit, but if that's the way it's going, I hope JH and staff does it better than the rest.

I agree. Gone are the days of 1983 roster, when you knew Reggie was #92, Tim McGee was 88, Johnnie Jones was 33 and Dale Jones was 54.

I feel CFB is going the way of CBB, where they'll expand the playoffs further, and will become a cobbling of free agents into each year's team, with most emphasis on getting to playoffs in hopes of getting hot. Don't like it one bit, but if that's the way it's going, I hope JH and staff does it better than the rest.
I used to love the college football regular season. Every week was do or die. Sucks when you are not in the mix. We had 12 long years of that.

When this is updated with Darlinstone I’d like to see a list of strong candidates or those with mutual interest (not just names being thrown around every time somebody hits the portal) added to post #1.

There are almost 3,000 replies in the 2024 portal thread and most aren’t worth reading.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Updated…

Available scholarships: 5

Zakai Zeigler (senior)
Jordan Gainey (senior)
Jahmai Mashack (senior)
Darlinstone Dubar (senior transfer)
Cameron Carr (sophomore)
JP Estrella (sophomore)

Departures to portal:
Jonas Aidoo (senior)
Tobe Awaka (junior)
DJ Jefferson (sophomore)

Dalton Knecht
Josiah Jordan James
Santiago Vescovi

Updated…

Zakai Zeigler (senior)
Jordan Gainey (senior)
Jahmai Mashack (senior)
Cameron Carr (sophomore)
JP Estrella (sophomore)

Departures to portal:
Jonas Aidoo (senior)
Tobe Awaka (junior)
DJ Jefferson (sophomore)

Dalton Knecht
Josiah Jordan James
Santiago Vescovi
Wow, didn't realize JPE and CP were the only 4/5 spot players left on the team.

Ouch

They got lucky. They weren't in the tournament until they won the ACC tournament.
Some of you guys that throw the L word out there all the time should think a little harder. I'd prefer the C word. Consistent!! And at the right time of season and especially on Offense.

So will be this our rotation?
Looks awfully thin regarding our bigs 🤔

Ziegler / Boswell
Gainey / Carr
Mashack / Dubar
Phillips / ???
Estrella / ???

So will be this our rotation?
Looks awfully thin regarding our bigs 🤔

Ziegler / Boswell
Gainey / Carr
Mashack / Dubar
Phillips / ???
Estrella / ???
We're going to struggle against teams with that being our lineup. I can see rebounding being a major issue.

We're going to struggle against teams with that being our lineup. I can see rebounding being a major issue.

The roster is not complete. So, I would refrain from judging whether we will struggle in the post just yet considering almost half our roster is open for spots next year. There will be a lot of changes in the next 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
The roster is not complete. So, I would refrain from judging whether we will struggle in the post just yet considering almost half our roster is open for spots next year. There will be a lot of changes in the next 2-4 weeks.
Yes, I realize that. Just commenting on Dougie D's post as this was his assertion of a lineup this fall.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Yes the new NIL/transfer process leaves out the fan for the most part. A team can gain from the portal as well as lose but this by-passes the emotional attachment fans have with the school and players they have followed. There is no business, without a monopoly, that markets products to consumers and could care less about the satisfaction of the consumers who purchase them. Soon I expect to see less fan tolerance for a players poor performance since they are getting paid and have no allegiance to the school. The student athlete days are long gone.

Maybe the mods want to sticky this, up to them, but figured it could be useful with all the portal movement.

Zakai Zeigler (senior)
Jordan Gainey (senior)
Jahmai Mashack (senior)
Cameron Carr (sophomore)
JP Estrella (sophomore)

Departures to portal:
Jonas Aidoo (senior)