Roster reset and overview

bleedingTNorange

I know for many it’s hard to keep track of the moving parts this time of year, with the return of Santi and additions in past 24 hours from Jordan Gainey & Chris Ledlum I figured it is a good time to give a little roster reset. We are currently full at 13 scholarships, no announcement from Uros has been made but I would say it’s safe to assume his days are over.

Santiago Vescovi SR(used COVID year)
Chris Ledlum SR
Zakai Zeigler JR
Jahmai Mashack JR
Jordan Gainey JR
Jonas Aidoo JR
BJ Edwards SO
Tobe Awaka SO
Freddie Dilione FR(redshirt)
DJ Jefferson FR(redshirt)
Cameron Carr FR
Cade Phillips FR
JP Estrella FR

At this point JJJ & JP both have eligibility remaining and are going through NBA process, if either are to return then or if we are to add any additional players through the portal then someone listed above would have to leave or potentially Jordan Gainey moved to walk on.

If Edwards had an attitude issue, or evidenced in practice that he had reached his capability ceiling, Barnes would have found him a situation where he could move on to a more rewarding college career. So I'm looking forward to BJ's big reveal this season.

An underappreciated bonus with Vescovi's return is having his work ethic present this summer, setting a standard for all the newcomers to match themselves against or aspire toward.

Has been great news for the BB squad these last few days. Let’s keep momentum and land Knecht and somehow make the scholarship #’s work out. I think Knecht makes us Top 10 level, IF ZZ is healthy.

I know for many it’s hard to keep track of the moving parts this time of year, with the return of Santi and additions in past 24 hours from Jordan Gainey & Chris Ledlum I figured it is a good time to give a little roster reset. We are currently full at 13 scholarships, no announcement from Uros has been made but I would say it’s safe to assume his days are over.

Santiago Vescovi SR(used COVID year)
Chris Ledlum SR
Zakai Zeigler JR
Jahmai Mashack JR
Jordan Gainey JR
Jonas Aidoo JR
BJ Edwards SO
Tobe Awaka SO
Freddie Dilione FR(redshirt)
DJ Jefferson FR(redshirt)
Cameron Carr FR
Cade Phillips FR
JP Estrella FR

At this point JJJ & JP both have eligibility remaining and are going through NBA process, if either are to return then or if we are to add any additional players through the portal then someone listed above would have to leave or potentially Jordan Gainey moved to walk on.
Am I right that Ledlum technically has two years of eligibility left?

I can’t find if Ledlum has one year or two remaining. Harvard’s website called him a SR in 2022-23. But that was just his third year. They cancelled their 2020-21 season.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I can’t find if Ledlum has one year or two remaining. Harvard’s website called him a SR in 2022-23. But that was just his third year. They cancelled their 2020-21 season.
Seems like he could take a redshirt for that season and still have his Covid year, too, correct? Harvard calls him a senior because the Ivy League doesn't do redshirts, IIRC.

I think it could be tough to find minutes for everyone in OOC, even with ZZ out. Taking a stab:

Santi - 25
Mashack - 25
Dilione - 25
Ledlum - 25
Aidoo - 20
Awaka - 20
Estrella - 20
Edwards - 10
Gainey - 10
Carr - 8
Jefferson - 7
Phillips - 5

I feel like we're going to have to give several guys decent minutes at point to figure out the contingency plan/backup situation, so Edwards and Gainey may need more time than this. We need to find at least one reliable 3-point option from among the freshman/redshirt/transfer additions. There really isn't a lot of carryover from last year's team, even with Vescovi back.

Santi's minutes obviously bump up in SEC play to typical 35ish. Hopefully one of the posts separates and claims a larger share. And then ZZ can hopefully be good for at least 25? Other wing minutes consolidate to whoever can spot up from 3 and/or attack the rim and finish/get to the line.

I hope Estrella surprises and earns minutes. We need a stretch five type threat. Not saying he is a legitimate outside scorer but he can hit the three. Something Uros couldnt do. Need the opposing bigs pulled out of the lane.

I still would doubt that ZZ is ready for the start of the season. We'll be able to force feed Gainey, BJ, and Dilione to see if they can handle PG minutes during our OOC schedule.

I think our ceiling is higher than last year, because of Ledlum and Dilione. Those two guys, along with Santi, ZZ, Aidoo, and Mashack should be enough to put the ball in the basket. I expect Aidoo and Mashack to make pretty big jumps next year, and Awaka should take another step forward. I think the biggest question mark is what do Gainey, Jefferson, or Carr give us off the bench?

BJ Edwards in my opinion will hit the portal which means most likely JJJ returns and J. Phillips probably remains in the draft. I just don't see any minutes for Edwards.

Sorry been out of the loop, Gainey is a scholly player? Thought he was walking on.

How do you see the minutes shaping up if this is indeed our final roster?
Zeigler 30/Dilione 10
Santi 20/Dilione 10/Edwards 10
Mashack 15/Gainey 15/Santi 10
Ledlum 20/Mashack 10/Jefferson 10
Aidoo 22/Awaka 18

Bench: Carr, Cade, Estrella

Zeigler 30
Santi 30
Mashack 25
Aidoo 22
Freddie 20
Ledlum 20