Ron Slay - Opportunity to Reset

That's a really nice reply from him. Solid twitter post!
He knows a heck of a lot more about their plight than any of our posters. He knows what they need to do to turn it around here at the end of the season. We're not that far removed from some games where we pushed it much more. Barnes wants them up-tempo. He can't go out there and make Vescovi bounce it into the interior. Vescovi tries to throw it over the top and has unnecessary turnovers as a result. That's on Vescovi, not Barnes

Ron is all class. He’s not going to throw the coaches or players under the bus. He is a true VFL. But this team just seems too far gone to bounce back. He won’t say it but we all see it. Hope I am wrong.

Ron is all class. He’s not going to throw the coaches or players under the bus. He is a true VFL. But this team just seems too far gone to bounce back. He won’t say it but we all see it. Hope I am wrong.
Yep. Looks like the team, with a few exceptions, has checked out. Maybe it's small crowds or maybe they've tired of Barnes putting them in his defensive box. If he'd give them a pat on the back occasionally or even better, turn them loose to play some fun basketball for a change. You can take this defensive mindset too far. When you stop looking forward to playing, maybe something needs to be changed.

These guys aren't having fun. They just look miserable. How does Barnes not see it? Or maybe he does but he just doesn't care?

Reactions: 1985Vols
Yep. Looks like the team, with a few exceptions, has checked out. Maybe it's small crowds or maybe they've tired of Barnes putting them in his defensive box. If he'd give them a pat on the back occasionally or even better, turn them loose to play some fun basketball for a change. You can take this defensive mindset too far. When you stop looking forward to playing, maybe something needs to be changed.

These guys aren't having fun. They just look miserable. How does Barnes not see it? Or maybe he does but he just doesn't care?
That you believe you you get the pulse of this team more than Barnes is absurd

He knows a heck of a lot more about their plight than any of our posters. He knows what they need to do to turn it around here at the end of the season. We're not that far removed from some games where we pushed it much more. Barnes wants them up-tempo. He can't go out there and make Vescovi bounce it into the interior. Vescovi tries to throw it over the top and has unnecessary turnovers as a result. That's on Vescovi, not Barnes

Well he certainly lived it because he was on the 2000-2001 team that started 16-1 and got up to #4 and ended 5-7, 1-1 in the SECT and 1 and done in the NCAAT.

That you believe you you get the pulse of this team more than Barnes is absurd

We have people that are explaining away Fulky's performance, blaming COVID, injuries, no preseason, etc. And yet Barnes doesn't mention any of that and rips Fulky a new one each post game. So if he does have the pulse of the team, then people need to stop making excuses for Fulky because Barnes clearly doesn't buy any of the excuses given.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I have noticed that he has liked a few tweets about the team looking like they've given up or looking like they don't care. That's about as much criticism like that that you'll get out of Slay, still pretty telling tho imo

Never forget him & Shaq going at each other back in the day.

QualifiedConcreteDormouse-small.gif

So many inaccuracies here. Way too many to even contemplate. Some are outright preposterous.

Reactions: Teeboy
We have people that are explaining away Fulky's performance, blaming COVID, injuries, no preseason, etc. And yet Barnes doesn't mention any of that and rips Fulky a new one each post game. So if he does have the pulse of the team, then people need to stop making excuses for Fulky because Barnes clearly doesn't buy any of the excuses given.
I think it's far more likely Barnes chooses not to mention Covid has been an issue for Fulkerson

Barnes' style would be to never use the virus as an excuse, while knowing it was definitely a factor

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
I have noticed that he has liked a few tweets about the team looking like they've given up or looking like they don't care. That's about as much criticism like that that you'll get out of Slay, still pretty telling tho imo
Slay has been pretty critical of the team on 104.5 in Nashville and especially Fulky. This was the day after the Ole Miss game. I like Ron on the radio, he did well.

Reactions: berryvol
CRB has always challenged players to fight through problems / injuries, review CRB’s media comments concerning Turner his last couple seasons as he battled his shoulder problem.

I think it's far more likely Barnes chooses not to mention Covid has been an issue for Fulkerson

Barnes' style would be to never use the virus as an excuse, while knowing it was definitely a factor

If Barnes actually believes it's a factor, then there are far better ways to challenge Fulkerson in public than the way he has; not to mention I could definitely see Barnes' handling of it having a negative effect on the team.

VN Store

Back