Rolling Stones 200 All-Time Greatest Singers

A list that thinks Billie Eilish is a better singer than Celine Dion, Tony Bennett, and Nat King Cole is garbage...

It's not "best singer." It's "greatest voice."

I see people talking past each other all the time with this in sports discussions, but "better/best" implies more talented. "Greatness" is about resume.

She's got 7 grammies and she's 21, and she didn't win them by performing bubble gum pop BS written by a staff. She's a real artist. She's on track to be the most influential artist from whatever generation she is.

It's not "best" voice. It's "greatest" voice.

I see people talking past each other all the time with this in sports discussions, but "better/best" implies more talented. "Greatness" is about resume.

She's got 7 grammies and she's 21, and she didn't win them by performing bubble gum pop BS written by a staff. She's a real artist.

She is but two of the criteria was the breadth of career and legacy. I think all 7 of the Grammys were from 1 album.

To use sports analogy, she hasn't done enough yet. She might get there. It might largely be 1 album. Ja Morant is great now, he's on a track where he might be an all time great PG. But he ain't in that conversation yet...

She is but two of the criteria was the breadth of career and legacy. I think all 7 of the Grammys were from 1 album.

To use sports analogy, she hasn't done enough yet. She might get there. It might largely be 1 album. Ja Morant is great now, he's on a track where he might be an all time great PG. But he ain't in that conversation yet...

Nope. She won grammys in 2020 and 2021 and is nominated for several in 2023 and was in 2022, too.

She's done more than all of the 3 you mentioned, already. Not a one of them has an iconic album. Celine Dion has a few hits. Nat King Cole has a few hits. Tony Bennett has a few hits. They're beloved entertainers. That's it. Again, she's not just a crooner. She and her brother are self-producing all of it, and she's on a meteoric rise.

I had no idea that there were 200. I guess you have to go with Mick as #1, although Merry Clayton was outstanding. Keith Richards is like nails on a chalkboard.

Not exactly the same but who is closer to MJ than Weeknd?

Start typing "weeknd sounds like..." into Google and see what pops up.
You have some dumb a** arguments. This may be your worst.

Ten was a great album, and I played the heck out of it. But I can also see the viewpoint of people who don't like Pearl Jam.

Loved 10, every song was great. Eddie then became Bono jr.. like their 2nd album and Viitoligy( though it took longer to enjoy).

What was sound garden's singer ranked? That guy had a great voice

Reactions: Godfatha
They have exactly the same voice, they just sing with a little different style. I would say Eddie Vedder is one of the easiest rock voices to imitate* and there is nothing actually special about it, except that he is the innovator who came up with a style that appeals to a large swath of people.

*who can do a Kurt Cobain impression and who can't do a Vedder impression?

If I copied Cobain, my vocal cords would tear. Vedder doesn't have any range but the songs they wrote were great.

Reactions: n_huffhines
It's another useless list from Rolling Stone. There are questionable entries (John Lennon, Curt Cobain, Ozzie), those ranked far too low (Robert Plant, RJ Dio, David Bowie), and questionable omissions (e.g. Christine McVie, Ralph Stanley, Dwight Yoakum, Barry Hay, Maybelle Carter unless I missed them). I'm not sure why they list a very few non-English language singers; a real global list wouldn't have anywhere near so many Americans.

Loved 10, every song was great. Eddie then became Bono jr.. like their 2nd album and Viitoligy( though it took longer to enjoy).

What was sound garden's singer ranked? That guy had a great voice
Chris Cornell. It would have been a travesty if he wasn't ranked, but he is on the list.

That list is all over the place. I'm not sure if they are going after vocal talent, technical ability, songwriting ability, popularity, longevity, or whatever else their criteria might be.

If I copied Cobain, my vocal cords would tear. Vedder doesn't have any range but the songs they wrote were great.

Reminds me of this. Gained a whole new appreciation for Post Malone hearing this. Never heard someone sing a Cobain song better, and a live recording no less.

Chris Cornell. It would have been a travesty if he wasn't ranked, but he is on the list.

That list is all over the place. I'm not sure if they are going after vocal talent, technical ability, songwriting ability, popularity, longevity, or whatever else their criteria might be.
He had an amazing voice, there's no doubt

finally got around to reading the list - it's nonsensical. I don't see how they followed their own criteria.

bunch of people smelling their own farts.

I'll add that putting someone like Axl Rose on the list but leaving off Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) doesn't fit the criteria but seems to be the common theme.

Hell, Noddy Holder should be in the Top 100 yet he appears nowhere on the list. Hard to imagine any vocalist having more influence on the rock bands of the 80s than old Noddy

a little love for Robin Zander - live performance: range, on pitch, distinctive. a better vocalist on every criteria than Axl

also some education for those who just think Cheap Trick was sugar pop I want you to want me BS.

Reactions: EasternVol
The comments section of a list like this has never had people saying "that's a great list."

Gee, there have probably been about 20 billion people alive throughout human history and we currently have almost 200 countries. But the 200 greatest singers OF ALL TIME all seem to have lived in the past few decades, sing exclusively in English, and mostly come from only two countries. What were the odds ? 🙄🙄🙄

Rolling Stone‘s myopic anglophone centric limited vision is clearly seen in their exclusion of the great Nina Hagen

I skipped around some, but did Diana Krall, Amy
Lee, Sarah McLauchlin, Tori Amos, Mindy Smith or Norah Jones crack the 200? All Sirens, to me.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back