River Breeze Drive In property to be repurposed as music venue

Thunder Good-Oil

I hope that they make it work. I miss the old drive-in movie theaters. This idea will keep the character of the old drive in but will convert it with a stage, a beer garden, and a place for food trucks to set up.

They will offer shuttle buses to down town.

Randy Boyd won’t like this. Not one bit.

knoxnews.com (might be behind a pay wall)

City, county leaders break ground on new outdoor event center in East Knox County | wbir.com

Former East Knoxville drive-in transforming into event center | WATE 6 On Your Side

I think that Snukals was a media guy. Maybe he will be able to promote it competently. Seems like he was a local radio station GM (WIMZ back when Stoner owned 103.5?… or maybe the PD).

The costs shouldn’t be crazy as the real estate is much more affordable out east. Property taxes should be very affordable as there will be few structures. And it’s not too far from the interstate exit. The food trucks take on a lot of the risk and their presence is easily scalable.

The beer garden is supposed to be open much more often than just when there are events.

The site is also scalable. Plenty of parking for small events. Bus concert attendees in from downtown for bigger shows. Plus it won’t just be concerts (car shows, weddings). With that much space multiple events can be held simultaneously.

Risks or downside are the reputation of the east side, it is hot as #### much of the year, and there could be a lot of direct competition with the new baseball stadium. Also there will be competition from Chilhowee Park nearby. But outside gatherings should be more in favor than indoor venues as COVID fears (or fears of the next pandemic) linger. Plus it is a well funded venture.

I’m glad that the site will be something other than a Walmart or condos.

I think it could work. The outdoor music center outside of Indianapolis (Ruoff now, previously called Dear Creek and other names) has been going strong for nearly 30 years now.

I think it could work. The outdoor music center outside of Indianapolis (Ruoff now, previously called Dear Creek and other names) has been going strong for nearly 30 years now.

River Breeze is fairly small. Only 7 or 8 acres IIRC. But there is adjacent land if it were to take off. There is a much larger spot just on the other side of the highway that runs by it.

Being directly on the Holston River is very cool.

There is regional competition for acts at the Lovell Road Harley-Davidson dealership and at the Shed at Smoky Mountain H-D. But the shuttle from downtown gives RB an edge when tapping into the student population. Although students are transient and poor. And many aren’t 21 to visit the beer garden.

There is so much they could do with that location... I don't know if any of you have ever been to the National Whitewater center in Charlotte, but I have always thought that Knoxville could use something like that. There is whitewater rafting, ropes courses, ziplines, hiking trails, paddle boarding, kayaking, biking, a beer garden and restaurants and they have concerts there quite often in the warm months. It is a fantastic facility on not a ton of acreage right on the Catawba river. I feel like Knoxville could do something similar, but on a smaller scale. Maybe tie it in to the Ijams nature center or something.

Whitewater Center

I hope that they make it work. I miss the old drive-in movie theaters. This idea will keep the character of the old drive in but will convert it with a stage, a beer garden, and a place for food trucks to set up.

City, county leaders break ground on new outdoor event center in East Knox County | wbir.com

Former East Knoxville drive-in transforming into event center | WATE 6 On Your Side
The last movie I saw there was "Fritz the Cat".

I think that Snukals was a media guy. Maybe he will be able to promote it competently. Seems like he was a local radio station GM (WIMZ back when Stoner owned 103.5?… or maybe the PD).

The costs shouldn’t be crazy as the real estate is much more affordable out east. Property taxes should be very affordable as there will be few structures. And it’s not too far from the interstate exit. The food trucks take on a lot of the risk and their presence is easily scalable.

The beer garden is supposed to be open much more often than just when there are events.

The site is also scalable. Plenty of parking for small events. Bus concert attendees in from downtown for bigger shows. Plus it won’t just be concerts (car shows, weddings). With that much space multiple events can be held simultaneously.

Risks or downside are the reputation of the east side, it is hot as #### much of the year, and there could be a lot of direct competition with the new baseball stadium. Also there will be competition from Chilhowee Park nearby. But outside gatherings should be more in favor than indoor venues as COVID fears (or fears of the next pandemic) linger. Plus it is a well funded venture.

I’m glad that the site will be something other than a Walmart or condos.

Aaron was a salesman for “Rock 104” which is only one of about thirty jobs he’s had.

I’m familiar with the location. It’s pretty much been vacant and degrading for years. The article left me wondering if there is a lack of parking on site. While the shuttle idea is interesting, I’m not sure shuttling 5k people in and out is a great idea.

Since they stopped doing regular concerts at the WFP, Knoxville has been starved for a proper outdoor venue.

River Breeze is fairly small. Only 7 or 8 acres IIRC. But there is adjacent land if it were to take off. There is a much larger spot just on the other side of the highway that runs by it.

Being directly on the Holston River is very cool.

There is regional competition for acts at the Lovell Road Harley-Davidson dealership and at the Shed at Smoky Mountain H-D. But the shuttle from downtown gives RB an edge when tapping into the student population. Although students are transient and poor. And many aren’t 21 to visit the beer garden.

It will take a very different caliber of act than the Harley places book to attract student dollars. If that is the demo they are after there won't be any competition for the bands that currently play small outdoor venues in the area.

If they target the 40+ crowd, it would get interesting. I hope they do something unique, the last thing Knoxville needs is another venue for tribute bands.

Let's be honest. It's going to tank. Aaron is a good guy, but there is only so much manure he can shovel.

Is this supposed to be on par with Ascend in Nashville and Riverbend in Cincinnati? If so and they can come up with the parking, I can see some real acts showing up for 10-15k people especially with the tourist opportunity. I could see some of the rural property being used for parking like they do at Bristol 4-6 times per year

Is this supposed to be on par with Ascend in Nashville and Riverbend in Cincinnati? If so and they can come up with the parking, I can see some real acts showing up for 10-15k people especially with the tourist opportunity. I could see some of the rural property being used for parking like they do at Bristol 4-6 times per year

Not close to Riverbend. Half the space and a tenth of the budget. The Holston isn’t a very large river either. But it’s a cool idea for an abandoned drive-in movie theater on the bad side of Knoxville. It would help if it was a bit closer to the CBD.

River Breeze Drive-In in Knoxville, TN - Cinema Treasures

6110 Asheville Hwy - Knoxville TN - MapQuest

Last edited:

VN Store

Back