Rivals

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Is anyone other than me concerned by the fact the recruiting top five has 2. UF 3. UGA 4. Auburn 5. Ole Miss and 8. Bama 12. LSU and the Vols check in at 14. I think we may have reached on some guys because we didnt see ourselves having the success we've had so far.

Well as we went over last year, nothing is definitive until signing day. There are those who even renege on their verbal commitments. If anything happens in NC or Miami, do those commits stay or go elsewhere? It's very early in the process.

I've heard Butch wants the Bama job. Right now, here would be my picks:

1. Miami-Greg Schiano
2. UNC-Jimbo Fisher
3. Bama(if opened up)-Butch Davis

With Bunting gone, that gets our foot in the door with Dwight Jones. Fisher may be enough to keep Jones, but I'm not sure.

Schiano is a great recruiter, especially in South Florida, but even he may not be able to keep Graig Cooper committed to the U if Coker is let go. Cooper would be a nice land.

ok HVW, what are our chances with the guys from Pearl River..The 2 WR's and the DE

Rufus will most likely end up a 4-star. Oversized HS LB with great potential to add weight and turn into a pass rushing DE. Dont be worried about our class right now. Its not Signing Day. Come Signing Day we will have a Top 10 class for sure, possibly Top 5.

Is anyone other than me concerned by the fact the recruiting top five has 2. UF 3. UGA 4. Auburn 5. Ole Miss and 8. Bama 12. LSU and the Vols check in at 14. I think we may have reached on some guys because we didnt see ourselves having the success we've had so far.

It is a concern when you consider how badly UF and UGA outrecruited UT last year. Two years in a row means that the Vols will have to have some very special freshmen in the 2008 and 2009 classes, and have no early defections to the NFL during that time, if theyare going to stack up talent wise with those programs. You don't have to be the most talented team to win the game but the difference is that the more talented team can ordinarily afford a few mistakes while the less talented team is under tremendous pressure to play mistake-free football. I don't worry so much about the West teams since the Vols do not play them every year.

I've heard Butch wants the Bama job. Right now, here would be my picks:

1. Miami-Greg Schiano
2. UNC-Jimbo Fisher
3. Bama(if opened up)-Butch Davis

butch davis going to bama? oh dear god say it ain't so. he would turn them into a *juggernaut*

I'm not sure how hard we are recruiting the Pearl River boys. I think we are evaluating them more right now and seeing where the HS kids choose first.

Im assuming Pearl River is a juco, which Im not a fan of, it's great for a program like K-state, but you get a guy like walter fisher who spends a year getting used to the speed of the game and the system, plays great one year and gone

Im assuming Pearl River is a juco, which Im not a fan of, it's great for a program like K-state, but you get a guy like walter fisher who spends a year getting used to the speed of the game and the system, plays great one year and gone
I would rather take someone like that than a HS kid who never gets used to the system and does nothing.

ok....... and all juco guys pan out?????? sure some do, but there are plenty who dont cut it

I am not worried, Tennessee is in the running for some top talent right now that it could chance in a second. It is also way to far until signing day to be worried. If we dont rise much as signing day nears, then we can worry.

I am very much right there with you over your mentioned concern. On top of that, I have combed Rivals from top to bottom, and there just ain't that many 4 and five star players left who indicate any interest in us. The prospects for landing the blue chipper classes of the past seems to have diminished for the Vols. If you want to get real depressed, go on Rivals and check each of our coaches out as far as current verbal recruiting success for the upcoming class is concerned. Then, if you want to feel suicidal, check out who they are hoping to recruit and weigh that against the interest the recruits indicate for the VOLs.

Personally, I feel like if things don't pick up soon we might have a few mediocre years in a row to endure. :hmm:

I am very much right there with you over your mentioned concern. On top of that, I have combed Rivals from top to bottom, and there just ain't that many 4 and five star players left who indicate any interest in us. The prospects for landing the blue chipper classes of the past seems to have diminished for the Vols. If you want to get real depressed, go on Rivals and check each of our coaches out as far as current verbal recruiting success for the upcoming class is concerned. Then, if you want to feel suicidal, check out who they are hoping to recruit and weigh that against the interest the recruits indicate for the VOLs.

Personally, I feel like if things don't pick up soon we might have a few mediocre years in a row to endure. :hmm:

Are you kidding? Tennessee is in the mix for a lot of four and five star recruits.

we're in the mix and I think that if (the Good Lord willing) we win out, the Vols can close strongly, however if we trip up and lose a couple of games at the end (LSU, Hogs) and ND keeps winning, we're in trouble. See, we arent just fighting the teams on the field, we're also fighting, ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and all the natl media that hypes the pac-10, ND, etc

we're in the mix and I think that if (the Good Lord willing) we win out, the Vols can close strongly, however if we trip up and lose a couple of games at the end (LSU, Hogs) and ND keeps winning, we're in trouble. See, we arent just fighting the teams on the field, we're also fighting, ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and all the natl media that hypes the pac-10, ND, etc

EXACTLY!!!!!! I spit and cuss about this every weekend. The way they plug the Irish should be investigated, and toned down at the very least!!!! I know that USC, Ohio State, and Texas have earned some extra coverage, but as I reflect back to our year after winning the 1998 BCS Championship, I know we didn't get the extended media focus that these teams are getting. (Have you checked out the Longhorns verbal committments????) The one Tostitos commericial that could have helped us got slammed and cancelled by the NCAA only after two runs.

The bottom line that I became very aware of during the Bill Battle coaching era is that excellent coaches are of little value when you have average talent; obversely, top notch athletes can make average coaches appear to be General Neyland, Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant reincarnated.

My biggest worry is that, just as smugness or burn out allowed our coaching staff to go stagnant resulting in the 5-6 debacle, smugness and a little burn out might be creeping into our recruiting efforts. National championships are won and lost during the recruiting battles, and I fear the Vols aren't showing up for a lot of those recruiting battles.

Just my opinion; I hope I am dead wrong.:crossfingers:

You are entitled to your opinions. But I have lots of access to recruiting services and I have no idea how you guys think our recruiting is going to be bad this year. We will have a Top 5 class, thats all you can ask for.

Listen guys, Im on your side I hope you're right, Im praying your right and Ill be the first to take my crow medium well if you're right, but my gut tells me we'll end up about where we are right now, in the 12-16 range

VN Store

Back