RIP Ron Widby

Thunder Good-Oil

Was a member of one of UT’s best ever teams in 1967. He was a teammate of AW, Justus (another Fulton great) and Billy Hann, Tom Boerwinkle, Spook Hendrix.

The 1967 team was probably a Final Four team under today’s format.

1966-67 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Punted for the Dallas Cowboys.

Lettered in about everything but gymnastics at UT. He’d be UT’s version of Jim Thorp if it wasn’t for Beattie Feathers ( Beattie Feathers - Wikipedia )

Ron Widby - Wikipedia

Former Cowboys, Packers punter Ron Widby dies at 75

Celebration of life: Ron Widby - Knox TN Today

Tennessee Mourns the Loss of Four-Sport Letterman Ron Widby - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited:
Widby was TN’s first of the 9 SEC POYs.

Only Ron, Mike Edwards, Ernie, Bernie, Dale Ellis, Tony White, Ron Slay, Chris Lofton, and Grant Williams have been the SEC Players of the Year from Tennessee (Ellis and Grant were 2x winners, Bernard 3x).

RIP Ron Widby. The trophy cases at Fulton were filled with Widby pics and accomplishments. His brother used to run Widby's Printing and Die-Cutting (probably not the exact name, too much weed by me), off Broadway. It was on 4th Avenue for about a decade before it finally closed. Clarence Widby was his name, good guy. The print shop, I worked at, used to sub out a lot of print jobs that needed die-cut to them, so I delivered and picked-up stuff from there, all the time. Anyway, prayers for the Widby family, UT and Fulton lost a great one

I wonder if the COVID took him. He was 75. When the 1967 team was introduced 4 years ago he looked a bit frail. He looked like a giant next to his teammates (however Boerwinkle had already passed away).

He lettered at UT in Football, Basketball and Golf. I remember those great games at Stokely, and listening to John Ward calling the games on radio. Fulton HS put out some outstanding athletes!

Reactions: The Dog
RIP Ron Widby. The trophy cases at Fulton were filled with Widby pics and accomplishments. His brother used to run Widby's Printing and Die-Cutting (probably not the exact name, too much weed by me), off Broadway. It was on 4th Avenue for about a decade before it finally closed. Clarence Widby was his name, good guy. The print shop, I worked at, used to sub out a lot of print jobs that needed die-cut to them, so I delivered and picked-up stuff from there, all the time. Anyway, prayers for the Widby family, UT and Fulton lost a great one
Sad day for the mighty falcons and the big orange!
GBO!!

Ronnie was a classmate of mine. It saddens me to hear of his passing. He was a great athlete and could play about any sport you could name. Probably he was at his best as a golfer but he could kick the crap out of the football. Good guy gone too soon.

Fulton or UT? Or both?
GBO!!

Read a couple of other items.

Widby holds the record for the longest Cowboys punt in history. 84 yards.

The night that he put up 50 in Stokely versus LSU, the building was full because their freshman team featured Pistol Pete.

On Friday, Dec. 17, 1965, he and the Vols were in Shreveport, La., in the Gulf South basketball tournament. On Saturday afternoon, he played football in Houston in the Bluebonnet Bowl. A UT plane was standing by to get him back to Shreveport for Saturday night basketball.

A year later, he played in the Sugar Bowl basketball tournament in New Orleans on Thursday and Friday nights and punted in the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon.

There may have never been a better senior year. Ron led the nation in punting average at 43.8 yards. He averaged 22.1 points and 8.7 rebounds while leading the Volunteers to a conference basketball title. He was SEC player of the year. He scored 50 in his last regular season game.

Last edited:
Read a couple of other items.

Widby holds the record for the longest Cowboys punt in history. 84 yards.

The night that he put up 50 in Stokely versus LSU, the building was full because their freshman team featured Pistol Pete.

On Friday, Dec. 17, 1965, he and the Vols were in Shreveport, La., in the Gulf South basketball tournament. On Saturday afternoon, he played football in Houston in the Bluebonnet Bowl. A UT plane was standing by to get him back to Shreveport for Saturday night basketball.

A year later, he played in the Sugar Bowl basketball tournament in New Orleans on Thursday and Friday nights and punted in the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon.

There may have never been a better senior year. Ron led the nation in punting average at 43.8 yards. He averaged 22.1 points and 8.7 rebounds while leading the Volunteers to a conference basketball title. He was SEC player of the year. He scored 50 in his last regular season game.
Good stuff, @Thunder Good-Oil , thanks for posting it

Dog, I used to always look at those trophy cases and it always blew my mind that people were like “ who is Ron Widby?”
I heard some good Widby stories from Bob Black.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back