RIP Howard Schnellenberger

He made a terrible decision and admitted it later when he left Miami after that national championship to coach in the soon to be defunct USFL. He rebuilt Louisville to be a top ten team though. I never will forget when he thrashed Bama 34-7 in the 1990 Fiesta bowl with Browning Nagle at QB. Tennessee had to open the following season against him at Louisville on in prime time on ESPN we won 28-11 and Chuck Smith broke true freshman Jeff Brohm’s leg. Needless to say if Howard had of stayed at Miami for ten more years or so he might have won as many titles as Saban. His one season at Oklahoma was a epic disaster. Unfortunately here recently we have lost alot of legendary old school college football coaches like Hayden Fry, Pat Dye and Johnny Majors and now Howard Schellenburger. RIP coach.

I'm kind of conflicted on his HoF candidacy. It is true that without him, there is no Miami football as we currently know it. His ideas about only recruiting South Florida and the Miami area were so ahead of their time. However, he was there only 5 years and left right after the title, then was underwhelming at every other place he coached. He ended up with more all-time wins than someone like Fulmer (158 vs. 152), but unlike Fulmer he had 151 losses to go with it. He was essentially a .500 coach.

Everybody remembers his time with Miami, which looks even more impressive in hindsight given what Miami eventually became, but he didn't do much after that. If he stayed at Miami and had more success (not even necessarily more titles, just success) or if he had success at another school(s), then it is a no-brainer.

I'm kind of conflicted on his HoF candidacy. It is true that without him, there is no Miami football as we currently know it. His ideas about only recruiting South Florida and the Miami area were so ahead of their time. However, he was there only 5 years and left right after the title, then was underwhelming at every other place he coached. He ended up with more all-time wins than someone like Fulmer (158 vs. 152), but unlike Fulmer he had 151 losses to go with it. He was essentially a .500 coach.

Everybody remembers his time with Miami, which looks even more impressive in hindsight given what Miami eventually became, but he didn't do much after that. If he stayed at Miami and had more success (not even necessarily more titles, just success) or if he had success at another school(s), then it is a no-brainer.
i think he should be in.
He basically built Miami. He helped raise the Louisville program. He guided FAU from 1-AA to 1-A

I have often wondered had Miami not offered and had he not accepted if Miami would have ever been relevant. He had a blueprint and followed it but that 30 for 30 said they were close to shutting the program down!

Reactions: Border Vol
I have often wondered had Miami not offered and had he not accepted if Miami would have ever been relevant. He had a blueprint and followed it but that 30 for 30 said they were close to shutting the program down!
Fran Curci left Miami for Kentucky in December 1972 because he thought Miami was on the verge of ending their football program after they had just ended their men's basketball program.

VN Store

Back