RIP Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) Andy Griffith Show

It's funny that Elinor Donahue was only on the show for one season. It feels like she was on there longer. I hate that she didn't stay on for more seasons, as I always liked her.
Me too. Shame she was unhappy and felt out of place on the show. I always liked what a strong character she was, but unlike Helen (most of the time) she was also very likeable.

Me too. Shame she was unhappy and felt out of place on the show. I always liked what a strong character she was, but unlike Helen (most of the time) she was also very likeable.

THANK YOU!! I've gotten in more arguments with fellow Andy Griffith fans over Helen Crump than I care to admit. I always thought Helen was kind of a b_tch. I never liked her.

Ellen Brown the manicurist (Barbara Eden) >>>>>>>>>>>>>Ellie>Thelma Lou>>>>>>>>>>Hellen Crump.

What were the names of the two ladies that tried to date Andy and Barney? One of them had a rough voice. I think they were only on the show a handful of times.

What were the names of the two ladies that tried to date Andy and Barney? One of them had a rough voice. I think they were only on the show a handful of times.
The Fun Girls of Mt. Pilot is the only thing I ever heard them regerred to as. I dont know what their actual character names were. They were hilarious!

"HELLO DOLL!!

Reactions: vader and vols 30
Ellie was my favorite, also liked Mary Simpson, who was played by two different actresses. My favorite of the two was Sue Ane Langdon.
View attachment 404235
Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was Nurse Mary or Nurse Peggy, but you're right. I knew one of the nurses was two actresses.
The other Nurse Mary is the one who tried to convince Rafe Hollister to take his tetanus shot (maybe my favorite episode).
ywVXO-1549294694-2368-blog-julie adams.jpg
In any case, the nurses and Ellie are a step above Helen.

The fun girls from Mt. Pilot.

There was a band when I was in college named that. Fantastic band name

Reactions: Freak
It's funny that Elinor Donahue was only on the show for one season. It feels like she was on there longer. I hate that she didn't stay on for more seasons, as I always liked her.
It was her choice to leave the show. She didn't think she and Andy Griffith had any chemistry with each other, and she was right. The show was revamped after the first season, with Andy made into the "straight man" and Barney the quirky jokester. Andy dropped the long southern drawl, and started using proper grammar. These changes made for a better, and more realistic show. The only episode I like from the first season is the Christmas Story with Ben Weaver, which is one of my faves from the entire series.

I never cared for Helen Crump either. The best girlfriend that Andy had on the show was Peggy, played by Joanna Moore, who was Ryan O'Neal's first wife and Tatum O'Neal's mother. There was a memorable scene where she sang "Down in the Valley" while Andy played guitar and Opie listened. She was hot. I hated that they just dumped her without ever explaining why. That made about as much sense as never explaining what happened to Opie's mother.

Anyway ... RIP Betty Lynn.

It was her choice to leave the show. She didn't think she and Andy Griffith had any chemistry with each other, and she was right. The show was revamped after the first season, with Andy made into the "straight man" and Barney the quirky jokester. Andy dropped the long southern drawl, and started using proper grammar. These changes made for a better, and more realistic show. The only episode I like from the first season is the Christmas Story with Ben Weaver, which is one of my faves from the entire series.

I never cared for Helen Crump either. The best girlfriend that Andy had on the show was Peggy, played by Joanna Moore, who was Ryan O'Neal's first wife and Tatum O'Neal's mother. There was a memorable scene where she sang "Down in the Valley" while Andy played guitar and Opie listened. She was hot. I hated that they just dumped her without ever explaining why. That made about as much sense as never explaining what happened to Opie's mother.

Anyway ... RIP Betty Lynn.

The ironic thing was apparently she and Andy Griffith had a pretty passionate relationship off camera while both were married at the time.

The fun girls, Daphne and Skippy. The one with the husky voice who always greeted Andy with "Hello, Doll," was Daphne, played by Jean Carson. She was also one of the escaped prisoners in "Convicts at Large", who held Barney and Floyd captive in a cabin. She was the one who wanted to fight. That episode is in my personal top 5. Barney is hilarious.

Reactions: Freak and vols 30

VN Store

Back