Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

I have it all figured out…(blue font)

David Cutcliffe --> Ole Miss
Lane Kiffin --> Tennessee
Josh Heupel --> Oklahoma

What has Heupel ever done as a head coach to warrant Oklahoma thinking he is their man? Success at UCF? A good solid 7-5 year at Tennessee? IMHO, he's done nothing to give them any degree of certainty that he can keep their elite level going. If Saban left Bama, would they look at Heupel? Or Clemson if Dabo left? Or Ohio State if their coach left? Or Michigan? Is LSU looking at Heupel? If they aren't, why would Oklahoma?
7-5 with largely an inferior roster…. OU has elite talent…..and it’s his alma mater

Let's all take a regular breath - not even a deep one - and not act like a bunch of high schoolers gossiping in the parking lot. We don't need to "put down" Heupel as being unworthy of consideration. We don't need to rationalize why this thing will happen or that thing won't happen. Anyone who knows anything about Heupel's actual mindset, or Oklahoma's mindset, sure as hell wouldn't be posting about it on here. So, let's just carry on. This is college football.
Very calm, cool and collected…. Like Steve McQueen

I see I am about 500 posts in 2 hours too late. I can’t believe the speed at which this thread is flying lol.

Anyway, you all are all nuts. How is it that we do this same thing EVERY year? Vol Nation crowned Butch Jones after his first bowl win. We claimed Pruitt was Alabama’s head coach in waiting after a 7-5 season in Year 2. Now we’re claiming Oklahoma is going to want Heupel based off one 7-5 season.

Listen, I get it. BVS is real. And, I’m sure we’ll see some agent driven stuff in the media where his name might float around. Hell, these journalists know TN fans drive huge clicks during coaching search season so I wouldn’t be surprised if some journalist just makes some crap up to get us to click on an article.

Heupel isn’t going anywhere though. We’re fine. We’re not always in danger of losing our coach. I’m not entirely sure why anyone would want a TN coach based on the past 15 years. We have to win something of merit before people coming sniffing around Knoxville.
I like this! I want to believe THIS.

If this happens to us again, I’m done with football forever. If this happens to us again, I truly believe Tennessee signed a deal with the devil at them ole crossroads outside of yazoo city. If this happens to us again, I’m not ever talking about Tennessee football past and present. If this happens to us again, no coach will ever be able to save Tennessee football. My opinion? If Oklahoma offers big money, I think he’ll take the job unfortunately.

Exactly my point. We don’t know. Now let’s say he wins 8-9 next year and then maybe 10 in year 3. Then I could see a big raise and extension. Look at what you just said, give Heupel a full team. He doesn’t have that now and won’t for probably 2 more years. Hence my stance of waiting until year 3.
I'll be honest, if we ensure we always get 32 spots every year for the transfer rule I doubt we ever will. Unless you're signing straight 4 and 5 stars I don't know why you wouldn't just take multiple year transfers for half the class.

They do have recruiting but have those classes really been top 4-5? With that kind of talent they should trip and slip to 10 wins every year. PAC is a joke conference.

That's why they fired Helton. They're still putting out 1st round talent on a yearly basis, but the on field results have been mediocre.

That's why they fired Helton. They're still putting out 1st round talent on a yearly basis, but the on field results have been mediocre.
I'm genuinely asking, who was the last 1st round talent from USC? I can't think of one.
Edit: looked and forgot about Darnold whose overrated like past qbs there, and a couple linemen I've never heard of. They're nowhere close to OK draft class in recent years.

VN Store

Back