Right this second

CDM just said on 104.5 the zone Nashville that Fulmer and Tennessee understand that giving a coach an extension is just part of the business and so is firing them early and paying the buyout. This is good news.
Saying it's just "part of the business" shows that they know nothing about business. How all these ADs can be fooled by one guy (Sexton) is beyond me. It's time ADs stop this nonsense.

Saying it's just "part of the business" shows that they know nothing about business. How all these ADs can be fooled by one guy (Sexton) is beyond me. It's time ADs stop this nonsense.
I think you're missing the point. money is not a problem. at all.

I think you're missing the point. money is not a problem. at all.
What makes you think they know anything? If there is a big money donor(s) willing to pony up, then it's no problem. Right now, there is a lot of division among the donors and a continued power struggle.
I have no doubt that Boyd and Thorton could get it together if they want too. I think they are scared to pull the trigger early, being it's not even the end of year three, and the fact that they seemed on a positive trajectory at the end of the year.

Reactions: Nationdom
Giving 6 years is fine for the initial contract and in situations where performance dictates it. Nick Saban has 6 years - he deserves that. Jeremy Pruitt, not so much.

Giving 6 years to a coach with absolutely no leverage that was 13-12 with a loss to Georgia State is asinine (as well as no offset provisions and nothing resembling buyout reciprocity).
Big mojo you and I think alike. For 6 years, then an extension, the school should have gotten a decent out clause or 2.
I just dont get the extension. He was in year 2. The team really still hadnt shown much. They really hadnt shown much in big games. I would only extend coaches with 2 years left that have really shown they are really good..
What were they afraid another school would buy him out and take him? I just cant see it. Recruiting? That is a poor excuse for people looking for excuses.
All I can come up with is they really thought he was elevating the team. I would say most fan were not to that point even after the teams little run vs okay teams.
He doesnt seem to get them fired up. Maybe the players know other coaches schemes are way better and lesser talented teams can beat them.
Plus doesnt seem like we prepare to attack other teams and other teams weaknesses. Tennessee seem to be trying to run basic stuff and not make mistakes.
Half time has been a death break. Way to many games other teams make adjustments that expose Tennessee on both sides of the ball while nothing happen like that for tennessee.

Big mojo you and I think alike. For 6 years, then an extension, the school should have gotten a decent out clause or 2.
I just dont get the extension. He was in year 2. The team really still hadnt shown much. They really hadnt shown much in big games. I would only extend coaches with 2 years left that have really shown they are really good..
What were they afraid another school would buy him out and take him? I just cant see it. Recruiting? That is a poor excuse for people looking for excuses.
All I can come up with is they really thought he was elevating the team. I would say most fan were not to that point even after the teams little run vs okay teams.
He doesnt seem to get them fired up. Maybe the players know other coaches schemes are way better and lesser talented teams can beat them.
Plus doesnt seem like we prepare to attack other teams and other teams weaknesses. Tennessee seem to be trying to run basic stuff and not make mistakes.
Half time has been a death break. Way to many games other teams make adjustments that expose Tennessee on both sides of the ball while nothing happen like that for tennessee.
Agree 100%

I hate promoting a coordinator to head coach at a big name school. I much rather have someone that has held the job before and you can see what they have done.
Guys that are good head coaches are good at picking there other coaches even if its somebody you never herd of.
Player development really seems to be truly lacking.
Utilizing offensive players special skills, developing those special skills and playcallling to get those players the ball were they can use it, is non existent.

Players who are good enough to get an SEC offer think they are going to the NFL in 3 years. The line that a coach needs 5-6 years on a contract for recruiting purposes is BS to cover up bad decision making.
I agree somewhat but I also agree that it does factor into recruiting as well. A lot of the relationships being built in recruiting are with freshman and sophomores, making that a 3-5, in most cases, a 6-7 year timeframe that a recruit has, before thinking about getting to the next level. I can see how administrations would think extensions help in recruiting.
GBO!!

Reactions: airvols
I agree somewhat but I also agree that it does factor into recruiting as well. A lot of the relationships being built in recruiting are with freshman and sophomores, making that a 3-5, in most cases, a 6-7 year timeframe that a recruit has, before thinking about getting to the next level. I can see how administrations would think extensions help in recruiting.
GBO!!

I know it matters a little but SEC players know if a coach is successful, he will likely be at the school. If he's not successful, he will be fired no matter what the contract says.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I just don’t see the hoopla on why an extension was given. We had just won 6 games in a row and seemed to be on the up and up. Albeit it was to lesser teams, but that’s who was on our schedule. We all saw hope (though false hope) that we were turning the corner and jumped at the opportunity to keep a good thing.

Reactions: preacherwebb
I just don’t see the hoopla on why an extension was given. We had just won 6 games in a row and seemed to be on the up and up. Albeit it was to lesser teams, but that’s who was on our schedule. We all saw hope (though false hope) that we were turning the corner and jumped at the opportunity to keep a good thing.

I think the issues are as follows

1. We gave an extension to a coach with no leverage

2. The terms in his extension (no offset clause) is unheard of for SEC coaches.

3. We extended a guy with a 13-12 record with a loss to GSU further out (2026) than UGA and UF have extended far more successful coaches (2024).

4. We essentially bid against ourselves and jumped the gun. We are paying for that now.

5. There was a lot of coaching deficiencies that was covered up by beating the bad teams at the end. We essentially ignored those.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
CDM just said on 104.5 the zone Nashville that Fulmer and Tennessee understand that giving a coach an extension is just part of the business and so is firing them early and paying the buyout. This is good news.
And also right this second, Vandy has found a QB and we're stuck with JG

Are you an insider with access to the UT Admin and boosters? If not, you do not know.

I am just a fan with common sense. You can keep in hoping if you like. Just like hoping another QB will play and save our season. None of it will happen.

But hypothetically, let’s say Pruitt is canned. Do you have zany faith whatsoever Fulmer could actually hire a good HC??

I am just a fan with common sense. You can keep in hoping if you like. Just like hoping another QB will play and save our season. None of it will happen.

But hypothetically, let’s say Pruitt is canned. Do you have zany faith whatsoever Fulmer could actually hire a good HC??
Look at my posts earlier this morning. Muschamp’s firing changed the narrative. I was in agreement with you before Muschamp’s firing. The absolutes regarding coaches not being fired this year are gone. Look at @BigOrangeMojo’s post to my post this morning. He made some good points.

Another Qb starting? May happen tonight. No reason not to at this point of the season.
Edit: Rumor just now posted here that Bailey will start tonight. Praise the Lord if it is true.

Fulmer hiring a good HC? I don’t know. We only have 1 coach hired in Fulmer’s history as AD. Depends on the money and if a good HC candidate wants to come here.

Last edited:
Look at my posts earlier this morning. Muschamp’s firing changed the narrative. I was in agreement with you before Muschamp’s firing. The absolutes regarding coaches not being fired this year are gone. Look at @BigOrangeMojo’s post to my post this morning. He made some good points.

Fulmer hiring a good HC? I don’t know. We only have 1 coach hired in Fulmer’s history as AD. Depends on the money and if a good HC candidate wants to come here.
The difference is Muschamp should have been fired at the end of last year. He was in his ninth year as a HC in the SEC and the book was written. I was shocked he ever got the job at SC to begin with.

Another Qb starting? May happen tonight. No reason not to at this point of the season.

Edit: Rumor just posted here Harrison Bailey will start tonight. Praise the Lord if it is true.

There were no good HC candidates that would've come here by the time Fulmer was named AD.
Do I have faith that Fulmer could actually hire a good coach?
My faith in Fulmer hiring a good coach goes up if there is a good coach willing to take the job, yes.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I know it matters a little but SEC players know if a coach is successful, he will likely be at the school. If he's not successful, he will be fired no matter what the contract says.
You’re right. At the time of the extension, we were riding an 8 game win streak and a wave of momentum in recruiting. At that point an extension was a positive, is all I’m saying. In hindsight, it looks pretty foolish now.
GBO!!

Reactions: djohnnyg
I think the issues are as follows

1. We gave an extension to a coach with no leverage

2. The terms in his extension (no offset clause) is unheard of for SEC coaches.

3. We extended a guy with a 13-12 record with a loss to GSU further out (2026) than UGA and UF have extended far more successful coaches (2024).

4. We essentially bid against ourselves and jumped the gun. We are paying for that now.

5. There was a lot of coaching deficiencies that was covered up by beating the bad teams at the end. We essentially ignored those.
#1 is always the one that has me confused. When a school extends a coach that no one else is really pursuing. As far as we know, no one was calling Fulmer, asking permission to talk with Pruitt.🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

VN Store

Back