Richt and Fulmer parallels....eerie

Sabanocchio

Think about it. Both got off to hot starts but seemed to get somewhat complacent later, both stubborn to get rid of underperforming assistant coaches (AD had to force WM's firing) and both are in a situation where the hire they make at a coordinator position could mean their jobs.

Also Fulmer struck out on a lot of the names he initially wanted to bring in (Kippy for one) and had to settle. Well, it cost him his job. Now it appears, with Georgia's first, second, third, fourth, fifth and so on choice turning them down, it could be a very real possibility for Richt too.

Look for Georgia to have another bad year next year and Richt to get the boot.

Todd Grantham is probably going to be the guy to get the UGA DC job BTW.

Good recruiters, bad coaches, took advantage of a time in the SEC when other teams were not very good. One difference: Richt is not fat and ugly.

I think it's less than we'd like to think

But either way he's the next coach on the hot seat, but it will be a few years (should be spurrier on the hot seat, but the gamecocks would never fire him even if he kept going 6-6)

At least Fulmer had a championship to hang his hat on. UGA's window seems to be closing. Based on available talent they'll always be dangerous, but their best chance for a championship under Richt has past.

10 yr rule is setting in. Except for very unique and rare circumstances coaches should be planning their next job around 10 years. I'm sure it will be the same with Kiffin assuming he lasts that long.

I hope Richt stays @ Georgia, If they get a good coach they will be hard to beat!

Good recruiters, bad coaches, took advantage of a time in the SEC when other teams were not very good. One difference: Richt is not fat and ugly.

Yeah, those LSU and Florida teams winning national championships sandwiching his last conference title were awful.

At least Fulmer had a championship to hang his hat on. UGA's window seems to be closing. Based on available talent they'll always be dangerous, but their best chance for a championship under Richt has past.

What kind of championship, an SEC like in '02 or '05? A Sugar Bowl like in '07?

Look, I'm the first guy to jump on a rival, but one 7-5 season does not spell doom for the program. Under Richt, UGa has finished worse than 2nd in the east twice and has won less than 10 games thrice, and one of those seasons was his first. He is less than 12 months from finishing a season ranked in the top 10 and less than 24 from finishing a season ranked in the top 2. Reports of his, and Georgia's, death seem premature.

Yeah, those LSU and Florida teams winning national championships sandwiching his last conference title were awful.

Think about Richt's time on top (beginning in '02):

Tennessee: Fading fast under Fulmer
Florida: Ron Zook years
LSU: They lost all the meaningful games to Saban, but beat Les Miles in '05
Auburn: only good team was '04, they spanked Richt
South Carolina: Lou Holtz years
Alabama: Franchione and Shula years -

Its not like Richt's great run (02-05) existed against the brutal nature of the sec rightn now...

Its not like Richt's great run (02-05) existed against the brutal nature of the sec rightn now...

You are right. Winning 2 BCS bowl games in the last 5 years is meaningless because Urban was in Utah for one of them.

You are right. Winning 2 BCS bowl games in the last 5 years is meaningless because Urban was in Utah for one of them.

I never said it was meaningless? But look at Richt's record '01-'04 and then compare that to '05-'09.

I never said it was meaningless? But look at Richt's record '01-'04 and then compare that to '05-'09.

Or look at it this way...

The great Vince Dooley. UGA all time winningest coach, atleast numerically. 24 years as HC. 6 SEC champs, and 1 NC, 8-10-2 bowl record. Took him 16 years to get his first and only NC. Overall record of 201-77-10. Winning percentage of roughly .698.

Mark Richt. 8 seasons now (9?). 2 SEc Champs, 6-2 bowl record. 86-22 record through 10/1/09 for a winning percentage of roughly .796. Not exactly a patsy, and well ahead of Dooley's progress.

OK. I'll take the two Sugar Bowl teams from the latter period and use the top ten '08 team as a bench player.

What kind of championship, an SEC like in '02 or '05? A Sugar Bowl like in '07?

Look, I'm the first guy to jump on a rival, but one 7-5 season does not spell doom for the program. Under Richt, UGa has finished worse than 2nd in the east twice and has won less than 10 games thrice, and one of those seasons was his first. He is less than 12 months from finishing a season ranked in the top 10 and less than 24 from finishing a season ranked in the top 2. Reports of his, and Georgia's, death seem premature.

I'm thinking he meant championship like a national one; but you're right about the rest

VN Store

Back