Rewatching the Game

Frosty

So gonna keep this very brief, I understand that the board is overflowing with everyone’s opinions on coaches and players. Just wanted to point out the quick momentum shift that happened with our defense stopping Florida on 4th down on our side of the field, our offense marching to the red zone, only for Princeton Fant to lose the fumble. It really felt as if that he holds on to that ball, we could’ve choked Florida out a lot sooner and was a pivotal point to this game. Thankfully we have the far superior team and coaching staff, but any recent TN teams would’ve lost there. How do you guys feel the game would’ve gone if Fant doesn’t fumble and we get 7 on that drive?

So gonna keep this very brief, I understand that the board is overflowing with everyone’s opinions on coaches and players. Just wanted to point out the quick momentum shift that happened with our defense stopping Florida on 4th down on our side of the field, our offense marching to the red zone, only for Princeton Fant to lose the fumble. It really felt as if that he holds on to that ball, we could’ve choked Florida out a lot sooner and was a pivotal point to this game. Thankfully we have the far superior team and coaching staff, but any recent TN teams would’ve lost there. How do you guys feel the game would’ve gone if Fant doesn’t fumble and we get 7 on that drive?

Good point. The friends I was watching the game with all said the same thing when Fant fumbled, well there goes this game. And I will admit I thought the same thing for a little bit. That was a huge shift imo. Because I honestly believe we put up a TD on that drive. And if we do? I think it leads to a TN blow out win.

I think the game got close because we took the foot off the pedal when we went up by 17. That was the time we needed to break their hearts and make it 24.
Definitely agree here, just think that we mentally crush Florida and our defense is tighter and can force more Florida mistakes if we got that early jump. We are good enough to not need it, but it shows that when everything is rolling I think we can battle with anyone in CFB.

Reactions: stewart6600
I think the game got close because we took the foot off the pedal when we went up by 17. That was the time we needed to break their hearts and make it 24.

I thought when we got up 17, they came back and scored to make it an 11 point game. Offense never had the ball up 17. We had opportunities to stop them on defense though.

I have been saying this all day and catching h3ll over it. Heupel needs to learn a lesson from this to never ever take his foot off the gas. In this day of football teams that can score too fast to ever think you can milk the clock down.

If everything played out as it actually did after the fumble but we score a TD (it wouldn't have but your Q is hypothetical), we go up 24 to 14 at half. And score opening the 3rd for 31-14. We would be 45-21 with 8 mins in 4th. Game over right there.

Yep, Fulmer was notorious for "playing not to lose" instead of mudstomping their @$$. I say score until the other team stops you.
I recall one possession when we played conservative and it was when we had the ball with under 3 minutes. Did I miss something? Very possible. Had a lot going on

I have been saying this all day and catching h3ll over it. Heupel needs to learn a lesson from this to never ever take his foot off the gas. In this day of football teams that can score too fast to ever think you can milk the clock down.

Not to mention every time we slow down the pace it seems to throw everyone out of rhythm. We see thoughtless penalties, poor execution, and ineffective downs.

I dont question Heupel for slowing down the pace and eating clock one bit, to me that was smart, I question not kicking that field goal tho, to me that puts the game away and as it turned out they got the ball in the same spot they would have if we'd missed anyway.

I think this and Keyton's catch were the biggest momentum swingers of the game. A 24 point win vs a 5 point win with the game on the line could also mean a difference in 1-2 points in the polls, just my opinion.

Not to mention every time we slow down the pace it seems to throw everyone out of rhythm. We see thoughtless penalties, poor execution, and ineffective downs.

That’s because it can’t be slowed down. I understand he’s trying to but it can’t be done.

Reactions: bpalmer28

It was a huge play. Heupel & staff have been very loyal to Fant. IMO he makes too many mistakes for a 6th yr guy. His penalties hurt also.

I don’t think we ever had the ball up 17? Otherwise I’d agree
You're right. Still, if we make the fg instead of coming up short on 4th and 3, we're up 14 at that point...making it up by 8 at the very end, vs. up by 5. Only risk at that point is OT.

Reactions: bpalmer28
You're right. Still, if we make the fg instead of coming up short on 4th and 3, we're up 14 at that point...making it up by 8 at the very end, vs. up by 5. Only risk at that point is OT.
That’s a fair argument. Wasn’t a chip in tho so I see both sides of the argument.

Reactions: SAPPER 5

VN Store

Back