Reusable Blueprint for Basically Every VOL Season Ever

OrangeTsar

Alabama delenda est
Stop me if you have seen this movie before. I know i sure have. The details can change from time to time and they don’t all play out the exact same way; but the pattern is unmistakable
1) Game one against a surprisingly plucky opponent calls for last moment heroics. Coaches breathe a sigh of relief and vow to fix the problems (Syracuse, App State, South Carolina)
2) Game 2: A much better and end to end game with balanced effort and play. We are “back” and ready for a real test.
3) Game 3: Our chance to prove that we are relevant and ready to be taken seriously again. A hard fought first half inevitably leads to a second half humiliation of epic proportions. Normally this is Florida’s job but Georgia filled the role admirably this year.
4 ) Coaches express anger and dismay and vow to “work like heck”, “watch the film”, or “scrimmage tomorrow” to fix what ails us and find players who are “ready to play“
5) Give old Alabama a “good scare” before succumbing to another embarrassing final score.
6) Repeat step 4
7) Beat up the remaining bottom dwellers to slowly bring the fans back and get that all important contact extension. Hopes to catch Florida or Georgia late in the season inevitably crushed.
8) Beat a mid level program in a mid level bowl then bring in a surprisingly good recruiting class to have all sins forgiven with the fans. Establish promises and expectations that “next year” we will finally be back.
now lather, rinse repeat EVERY SINGLE YEAR OF YOUR VOL LIFE

Every fan can point out exceptions to this script with this or that season. But until you fix STEP 3 on a consistent basis, you are stuck. Even Fulmer in our glory days almost always blew game 3. When he didn’t in 1998, the whole world changed.

Not sure how to fix it; but it is more repetitive that the next Police Academy movie. Some coach has to flip the script and make us the Beast Of the East EARLY in the year.

Just remember in 2017, we were 0-8, in the SEC...We were the bottom dweller that year, a fully embarrassing year. Pruitt, in his 3rd year has almost flipped the roster to get the big, strong team he envisioned when he took the job. Recruiting has improved, but until recently, S&C was the emphasis since we were at the bottom there as well. I don't know how good S&C is at the moment, but losing Fitzgerald was a big blow in my book.

So, QB play has been good at times, bad at other times...I think JG will be on a short leash going forward just like last year. Maurer and Shrout had their moments, but ultimately, JG was the QB that saved our season and enabled us to go to the Gator Bowl. I suspect it will be true this year as well.

Just remember in 2017, we were 0-8, in the SEC...We were the bottom dweller that year, a fully embarrassing year. Pruitt, in his 3rd year has almost flipped the roster to get the big, strong team he envisioned when he took the job. Recruiting has improved, but until recently, S&C was the emphasis since we were at the bottom there as well. I don't know how good S&C is at the moment, but losing Fitzgerald was a big blow in my book.

So, QB play has been good at times, bad at other times...I think JG will be on a short leash going forward just like last year. Maurer and Shrout had their moments, but ultimately, JG was the QB that saved our season and enabled us to go to the Gator Bowl. I suspect it will be true this year as well.
Don't come in here with all your fancy facts! It doesn't fit the narrative.

Stop me if you have seen this movie before. I know i sure have. The details can change from time to time and they don’t all play out the exact same way; but the pattern is unmistakable
1) Game one against a surprisingly plucky opponent calls for last moment heroics. Coaches breathe a sigh of relief and vow to fix the problems (Syracuse, App State, South Carolina)
2) Game 2: A much better and end to end game with balanced effort and play. We are “back” and ready for a real test.
3) Game 3: Our chance to prove that we are relevant and ready to be taken seriously again. A hard fought first half inevitably leads to a second half humiliation of epic proportions. Normally this is Florida’s job but Georgia filled the role admirably this year.
4 ) Coaches express anger and dismay and vow to “work like heck”, “watch the film”, or “scrimmage tomorrow” to fix what ails us and find players who are “ready to play“
5) Give old Alabama a “good scare” before succumbing to another embarrassing final score.
6) Repeat step 4
7) Beat up the remaining bottom dwellers to slowly bring the fans back and get that all important contact extension. Hopes to catch Florida or Georgia late in the season inevitably crushed.
8) Beat a mid level program in a mid level bowl then bring in a surprisingly good recruiting class to have all sins forgiven with the fans. Establish promises and expectations that “next year” we will finally be back.

Every fan can point out exceptions to this script with this or that season. But until you fix STEP 3 on a consistent basis, you are stuck. Even Fulmer in our glory days almost always blew game 3. When he didn’t in 1998, the whole world changed.

Not sure how to fix it; but it is more repetitive that the next Police Academy movie. Some coach has to flip the script and make us the Beast Of the East EARLY in the year.

My God this is accurate. Deserves more than one like.

Well done, OP.

Reactions: LittleVol
Sounds like the last 30 years of Vol ball. The exception is back in the 90's , it was basically us and UF. We had the luxury of padding victories over weaker SEC teams back then. Now, with TV contracts and all the money pouring in those weak teams got better. Things changed around us and we never changed with it until it got so bad they were forced too. Been playing catchup ever since. It's better now than it has been but far from elite..

Well, it certainly could be worse. We could have a Commodore as our mascot.

Maybe we need a new coaching contract scheme. $0 base salary. 2 million dollars per win against GA, FL, or Bama. 2 million for an SEC championship. 4 million for a National Championship. Make the remuneration match the true measure of success. A coach could be richer than Saban or poorer than dirt depending on what they deliver. No buyouts, no extensions. Cash and carry for services rendered.
This is only half in jest.

6) Repeat step 4

1602430241496.gif

Reactions: TAF and FLVOL_79
When your team consistently plays a national title contending team the 3rd week of the season, until your teams roster is also a National title contending roster, your going to lose those games. That’s a big ask because there are only a few other teams in the country with such rosters.

Saved our season? I believe the opponents we had were the real reason our season got better.

Reactions: 08Vol
When your team consistently plays a national title contending team the 3rd week of the season, until your teams roster is also a National title contending roster, your going to lose those games. That’s a big ask because there are only a few other teams in the country with such rosters.
Except that during the Fulmer years against FL, we were also a nationally contending team with a National Title Contending roster. Spurrier still consistently and regularly spanked our behind and we spent the rest of the season chasing him, hoping against hope for FL to suffer 2 SEC losses which almost never came.

THIS^^^

Frankly most certainly since 2002.

Any deviation (i.e. loss to Vandy and/or Kentucky or Wyoming) results in Coaching Search...which Tennessee is MASTEFRFUL at creating National Drama & Embarrassment.

Saved our season? I believe the opponents we had were the real reason our season got better.
Yep, those same opponents that beat us 2 years earlier...If you remember last year, early on Missouri was 5-1, Miss State was playing good football early on as well. In addition, 2 of those late season wins were on the road, which is no east feat in the SEC. But you are correct, once you move on from UF, UGA and Bama, the schedule gets easier...

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Heard Saban after his D gave up monstrous yardage and points. All teams with a few exceptions are giving up a lot of points. Saban said they are stretching the field horizontally and this puts added pressure on defenses. Of course this is Kiffin and Leach mostly using that spread approach and you have Briles at Arky using a similiar approach. Spreading them out frees up space and Briles preaches "find space" to his receivers. There's basically no playbook just a bunch of receivers looking for an open spot.

Then you add a guy like Mahomes to the mix and presto you have a team that can beat anybody on any given day and with a good running QB it takes a lot of pressure off the OLine.

So in answer to your post UT needs an innovated play-caller on the offensive side of the ball. UGA was going to get rid of Jim Chaney and they used Coley for a year then got rid of him too. Now they have Monken. The old school way of having a big OLine and pound the ball, then set-up play-action is actually losing favor because evolving offenses are now spreading defenses thin and those keeping pace defensively are looking for leaner and faster defensive players. Pruitt is well aware of this from a defensive standpoint. UT needs to correct it's offensive approach soon even if it requires new coaches to do so and it very well come to that.

Also covid-19's impact on training has stalled a lot of progress. UT could be going through this transition with adequate preparation time but then again with Chaney and Friend and Martin it's not a certainty that any of them are prepared to make the changes necessary to break the repetitive mold you described in your post.

6) Repeat step 4

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

6) Repeat step 4

Terrific post.

One minor suggestion.

Need to work in a overly enthusiastic contract extension and raise in there somewhere for beating up on the Vandys and Kentuckys.

Coaches need more "runway" so they can keep crashing and burning against the teams they need to beat to get to the upper echelon again.

Edit: I missed step 7. My bad.

I remember the year before when we were riding a 10-game winning streak and went to Athens and beat UGA to make it 11 in a row. Nice while it lasted, but sadly not a harbinger of better days.

And it seems like we've heard that JG is on a short leash for the past half-decade.

I remember the year before when we were riding a 10-game winning streak and went to Athens and beat UGA to make it 11 in a row. Nice while it lasted, but sadly not a harbinger of better days.

And it seems like we've heard that JG is on a short leash for the past half-decade.
Nope, under Butch it was a mirage...

6) Repeat step 4

I disagree.

2001, 2004, 2006, 2015 and 2016 weren’t this. And Pruitt will likely go from 4-8 to 8-5 to likely 7-3 or 8-2. That’s marked improvement

I disagree.

2001, 2004, 2006, 2015 and 2016 weren’t this. And Pruitt will likely go from 4-8 to 8-5 to likely 7-3 or 8-2. That’s marked improvement
Like I said, exceptions do exist and your mileage may vary. But 2020 still follows the same basic arc: high preseason hopes, flashes of competence early, crushing embarrassing defeat in first real test, vows to fix the problem, embarrassing losses to the other big two rivals, hopeless and fruitless chase to catch the top East team that has already beaten us, late season coast and mediocre bowl win resets the high hopes for next season. Coach get extension. The wheel spins again
7885204E-F6EA-4483-A843-77C3BEBB1710.gif

6) Repeat step 4

Scrimmage was already in place before the debacle happened anyways. Hopefully backup QBs get some good reps in.

Yeah we should probably recruit a 5 star QB.

You know, that 0-8 season we lost to the big 3 by an average margin of 27. I wonder if year 3 under Pruitt will beat that?

Pruitt has done well in getting us into a position where we can out-talent the Vandy's of the world (thank goodness, since he lost to them by 25 his first season). I have yet to see him show any progress against the elite teams we face yearly.

I don't think this guy is ever going to out-coach anyone. He still struggles mightily against Muschamp.

I think to ever win the SEC he's going to need a significant talent advantage and not sure how that's ever possible with Smart and Saban around

Reactions: Tnslim1 and 08Vol

VN Store

Back