• Jimmy Brumbaugh (defensive line coach) – $650,000
  • Jay Graham (running backs coach) – $575,000
  • Tee Martin (wide receivers coach) – $450,000
  • Chris Weinke (quarterbacks coach) – $355,000*
  • Brian Niedermeyer (inside linebackers coach) – $355,000
  • Shelton Felton (outside linebackers coach) – $225,000
  • Joe Osovet (tight ends coach) – $225,000

Total – $6.24M
* Weinke's contract expired on Jan. 31. He remains on the staff. Tennessee has not announced a new deal for him. The salary listed here reflects his old contract.

2019 assistant coach salaries
  • Jim Chaney (offensive coordinator) – $1.5M
  • Derrick Ansley (defensive coordinator) – $1M
  • Chris Rumph (outside linebackers coach) – $805,000
  • Will Friend (offensive line coach) – $805,000
  • Kevin Sherrer (inside linebackers coach) – $705,000
  • Tracy Rocker (defensive line coach) – $505,000
  • David Johnson (running backs coach) – $505,000
  • Chris Weinke (quarterbacks coach) – $355,000
  • Brian Niedermeyer (tight ends coach) – $355,000

Total – $6.985M
Restructured Tennessee football staff comes at a discount, contracts show

Pruitt Adds Brumbaugh and Felton to Football Coaching Staff - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited:
Probably upgraded staff and saved $745,000 ( I say that because I think Rumph and Rocker weren't exactly great recruiters and they probably don't have as much fire at this point as their replacements).

Graham, Braumbaugh and Nieds I have total confidence in. Felton will probably be very good as well.

BTW CJP is due for a raise too.

Also, do we know how much Chip Long and Warsaw are making in non-coaching positions compared to their predecessors?

Hell yeah! I bet that means they lower the ticket prices for all of us.
Let’s hope so. Now is the time to put on more steam.

Lower the price of 75% of the tickets, raise it on the other 25% enough to break even.

Make the cheap seats cheaper....

Probably upgraded staff and saved $745,000 ( I say that because I think Rumph and Rocker weren't exactly great recruiters and they probably don't have as much fire at this point as their replacements).

Graham, Braumbaugh and Nieds I have total confidence in. Felton will probably be very good as well.

BTW CJP is due for a raise too.

Also, do we know how much Chip Long and Warsaw are making in non-coaching positions compared to their predecessors?

Not picking on you but what's the basis for thinking we've upgraded the staff. We replaced 3 guys (Sherrer, Rumph, Rocker) that were all employed as assistants by elite schools prior to UT to 3 guys who havent. They very well could be upgrades but its definitely not based on experience to date. I think Pruitt's assistant/coordinator choices have been a little uneven to blindly put faith in them (Didnt like Y1 coordinators, thought Y2 he did a much better job)

I bring this up reluctantly since I might still be emotionally scarred from the onslaught of Negavol comments I received when I criticized Butch Jones hiring Larry Scott 3 yrs ago.

Not picking on you but what's the basis for thinking we've upgraded the staff. We replaced 3 guys (Sherrer, Rumph, Rocker) that were all employed as assistants by elite schools prior to UT to 3 guys who havent. They very well could be upgrades but its definitely not based on experience to date. I think Pruitt's assistant/coordinator choices have been a little uneven to blindly put faith in them (Didnt like Y1 coordinators, thought Y2 he did a much better job)

I bring this up reluctantly since I might still be emotionally scarred from the onslaught of Negavol comments I received when I criticized Butch Jones hiring Larry Scott 3 yrs ago.

JMO when looking at the sum of work from coaching and recruiting combined.

Graham is better than Johnson (still hated to lose Johnson)
Braumbaugh has a great track record of coaching athletes up and getting them drafted
Nieds is a good coach and outstanding recruiter, now Sherrer was an outstanding coach though.
Shelton Felton is a wild card but CJP know who he has there from previous experience.

I think the big knock on Rumph and Rocker was that they weren't that great on the recruiting trail.

2020 assistant coach salaries
  • Jim Chaney (offensive coordinator) – $1.6M
  • Jimmy Brumbaugh (defensive line coach) – $650,000
  • Jay Graham (running backs coach) – $575,000
  • Chris Weinke (quarterbacks coach) – $355,000*
  • Brian Niedermeyer (inside linebackers coach) – $355,000
  • Shelton Felton (outside linebackers coach) – $225,000
  • Joe Osovet (tight ends coach) – $225,000

Total – $6.24M
* Weinke's contract expired on Jan. 31. He remains on the staff. Tennessee has not announced a new deal for him. The salary listed here reflects his old contract.

2019 assistant coach salaries
  • Jim Chaney (offensive coordinator) – $1.5M
  • Chris Rumph (outside linebackers coach) – $805,000
  • Kevin Sherrer (inside linebackers coach) – $705,000
  • Tracy Rocker (defensive line coach) – $505,000
  • David Johnson (running backs coach) – $505,000
  • Chris Weinke (quarterbacks coach) – $355,000
  • Brian Niedermeyer (tight ends coach) – $355,000

Total – $6.985M
Restructured Tennessee football staff comes at a discount, contracts show

Pruitt Adds Brumbaugh and Felton to Football Coaching Staff - University of Tennessee Athletics
Look for Tee and/or Weinke to get a raise. No way Graham should make more than Tee.

I would venture to say that coaches might not have been chomping at the bit to come here when Pruitt was first hired

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Another year of developing what we have plus more elite wide receiver recruiting and Tee must get a raise.

VN Store

Back