Restaurants Around The Country

The Turtle Club in Naples, FL. Watch the waves and enjoy devastatingly good seafood. Everything is good, but the scallops are by far the best I have ever had. They just melt in your mouth.

The salads are interesting also, roasted beet and watermelon is not a combination I would dream up but it is addictive.

https://www.turtleclubnaples.com/

Reactions: MAD
Two from my time in NE FL:

España (Fernandina Beach) - Excellent Spanish and Portuguese food, great atmosphere, great service. If I had to pick a 'last meal' from any restaurant, it would be from this place.

Chowder Ted's (Duval County, on Hecksher Drive between Jacksonville and Amelia Island) - A great casual lunch spot with fantastic fresh seafood. Their burger is good too. My personal favorite is the Minorcan seafood chowder (which may not sound like a light summer/beach meal, but trust me...it's dandy).

One from a visit to Pittsburgh, PA: Max's Allegheny Tavern - Excellent authentic German and Eastern European food and an impressive selection of German beers. It's tucked away in Deutschtown neighborhood north of the Allegheny River...most of the folks in there were regulars, but were friendly as can be. If you're catching a game at PNC Park, it's not too far away.

Lawrenceville, GA: Los Recuerdos Colombian restuarant - Tasty (and authentic, from what my Colombian wife tells me) eats! The sobrebarriga was quite good, as were the buñelos.
I have heard good things about Los Recuerdos? How far are you from there?

Reactions: tbh and MAD
I have heard good things about Los Recuerdos? How far are you from there?

I'm over in Oconee County, about an hour or so east of there depending how crazy things get on 316. If you're in that area, it's worth checking out for lunch. My wife really liked that the tamal they make was on point (like 'back home' so to speak).

I imagine that’s the place to get the authentic poke.
Get it at the grocery store there like going to the deli counter
Foodland-Poke.jpg

North Carolina favorites:

Asheville - Sierra Nevada Brewery. Their French style chicken wings are amazing and they fry their fries in duck fat.

Charlotte - Midwood Smokehouse. Great BBQ. One of the only places you'll find in Charlotte that you don't have to settle for the crappy vinegar-based BBQ sauces. They have a couple of great molasses based and tomato based sauces.

Wilmington/Carolina Beach - Flaming Amy's Burritos. One of the biggest and tastiest burritos I've ever had and their salsa/hot sauce bar is really good.

Several locations - Tijuana Flats. Love their tacos and nachos.

Reactions: DocVOLiday and MAD

Asheville - Sierra Nevada Brewery. Their French style chicken wings are amazing and they fry their fries in duck fat.

Charlotte - Midwood Smokehouse. Great BBQ. One of the only places you'll find in Charlotte that you don't have to settle for the crappy vinegar-based BBQ sauces. They have a couple of great molasses based and tomato based sauces.

Wilmington/Carolina Beach - Flaming Amy's Burritos. One of the biggest and tastiest burritos I've ever had and their salsa/hot sauce bar is really good.

Great list, love Tijuana Flats

Tri-Cities
Frieberg’s- Haven’t had German food as good anywhere else. Portions have gotten smaller over the years, but the $5 lunch special is still a great deal

Main Street Pizza Co- Most days it’s the best pizza I’ve ever had. My go to is prosciutto with Parmesan crust. They also do pizza by the slice. Great place for cocktails as well.

Cootie Brown’s- Best Jamaican jerk sauce I’ve ever had. I buy multiple bottles each time I go back home to visit. Pizza there is underrated, too.

China King- Black pepper chicken is top notch. I’m addicted to it.

Has anybody ever been to Rickard Ridge BBQ? I hear them getting pimped all the time on FanRun. Just wondering if it is legit. Thinking of making a stop by there on my next visit to the promised land.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
When I lived in Chatt we used to go to Destin on the kids’ fall break in October. It was awesome, still 80-some degrees, water still warm, but not many people. Now I’m stuck with the coldass Pacific at California beaches.

That's an understatement. I couldn't get past my ankles...in San Diego...in July.

We ate at Emmy Squared Pizza in Nashville a couple weeks ago. Very small menu offering, but well done. Best burger I've had in ages. There was a cajun joint across the street we will be hitting next time in Nashville that gets highly rated. (The Gumbo Bros)

If any of y’all are ever in Napa, go to CIA Copia at the Grove and let them pick what you eat.

Grove Downtown Napa Restaurant | Prix Fixe Menu | The CIA at Copia

I had the meal of my life here a couple weeks ago.

I’d also recommend Oxbow Market across the parking lot.

It saddens me that this place bumped our favorite NOLA joints:

Marjie's Grill GET THE PIG FEET. JUST DO IT AND THANK ME LATER.

Galatoire's Restaurant New Orleans SIT DOWNSTAIRS. THREE DRINK MINIMUM. GET THE FISH OF THE DAY MEUNIÈRE AMANDINE.

Last edited:
There was a Magnolia's at the Jaimeson mattress factory (the Factory at Franklin) when it first opened to the public. Early 90s IIRC. It's been several things since and is currently a Maffiaozas. Wonder if it was the same thing.

We are vacationing in NC and will add:

Greensboro - Green Valley Grill. Had Sunday brunch here and it was excellent. American/European cuisine.

Not sure if you have Wawa in Knoxville.

But they have these croissant melts that are incredible.
They keep them up by the register around breakfast and lunch.
Three kinds
Turkey Bacon Ranch Croissant Melt
Pepperoni Provolone Cheese Croissant Melt
There is a ham one too.

VN Store

Back