Rest In Peace

it would be nice if someone could pinpoint the tipping point for dementia so people could know when their window to take matters into their own hands will likely close.
It’s so gradual, and so tough. There just isn’t one tipping point.

My mom asked me to take over doing her tax returns when she found them too complicated. (She had done her own taxes for 40 years, after my dad died, and nothing material had changed, but now she couldn’t reason her way through the process.) A year later, she voluntarily stopped driving after getting lost on her way to a destination she’d been going to for 40+ years (enough early dementia to make her get lost; sharp enough to recognize the problem and take the action that 99% of her peers wouldn’t do.)

And so on, until The Big Fall. Early dementia, aka “mild cognitive impairment”, goes 0-90 after a serious illness or traumatic injury. Now things have jumped (sunk) to a whole new level, and “gradual” is in the rearview mirror and fading fast.

Fortunately, she had created a living revocable trust and named a healthcare Power of Attorney and Durable Power of Attorney, along with Trustee —me x3, yay me. I don’t think she ever really believed all this would happen to her, but thank God, she was always pretty good about following advice from authority figures, so at least I didn’t have to have her declared incompetent. Which she is, per her physicians.

After watching this with both moms, Hubs and I drew up all the paperwork for determining who would have responsibility for assuming control of each of our affairs, when - not if, but WHEN - it happens to us. Could things go sideways? Yes, but you do the best you can do.

RIP Gus Manning

FjJ0axrWYAQ2kZL.jpg

VN Store

Back