Reply to a question

It's never reasonable for a coaching staff, to not have a viable backup QB. Even if you've got a Burrow, or Tua, or whomever starting, you need someone to step into that role in case of injury or in our case failure to perform.

It was a conscious decision by Pruitt and the staff, to throw everything they had at JG in the spring and fall, and it backfired when none of that effort led to fruition.

Hopefully Pruitt has learned his lesson on putting all of his eggs in one basket.
Pruitt has said on multiple occasions, this year and last, that the QBs get the same number of reps in practice. Pruitt gave game experience to 2 Fr to help them get ready. You don't have 1 single fact to support your claim that Pruitt didn't get backups ready and truth be told he did the exact opposite of what you claim. I think this is the weakest false narrative you neverJGers spew out of your NegaVol mouths.

Yeah. Pulaski won't like this either. Either you agree with him on JG, oppose JG as irrationally as he opposes BM, or you are "dishonest".

He's accused me recently of changing my tone. I'm saying the same things I've said for a long time now.... similar to what you're saying. But Pulaski understands that kind of reasonable approach prevents him from being "right" should JG perform well.

I do not know what JG will do.... but past performance is the best indicator of future results. And he's had the same basic problem of not processing reads fast enough and not anticipating throws since he stepped on the field at UT. If he finally overcomes that... GREAT. But they higher probability is that he won't. Either he'll be replaced or that deficiency will continue to hurt the O.
You're on record as saying he can't improve his innate abilities, you're on record as saying he's reached his ceiling and Vols will be just mediocre until he's gone and on record as saying Vols O will not improve with him as starting QB. I'm sure you have stated in the past that you were done with JG and there is no hope because you can't improve how he thinks. I'm on record as calling all of your crap as pure BS.

No, I simply got tired of your false narrative that BM actually played good vs Ky. JG goes 6/7 for 100+ yards and 0 interceptions you neverJGers just laugh it off like it didn't happen and then you try to sell the shi$$show BM was vs KY as good winning football by BM. Hypocrisy at its finest.
DUDE!!! I’ve always said JG played well and won’t take that back. However BM was not near as bad as you claim either. It was his worst game but the “stats” show he was getting better as the game went on. Point that I’ve always made is that CJP took a gamble that night because BM was getting better and JG could’ve just as easily stunk it up. And had he stunk it up JP would’ve been the goat rather than the hero.

Pruitt has said on multiple occasions, this year and last, that the QBs get the same number of reps in practice. Pruitt gave game experience to 2 Fr to help them get ready. You don't have 1 single fact to support your claim that Pruitt didn't get backups ready and truth be told he did the exact opposite of what you claim. I think this is the weakest false narrative you neverJGers spew out of your NegaVol mouths.

Lol, you can tell yourself whatever you like, but JG got the majority of the 1st team reps, he was the proclaimed starter as of the 2019 O&W game.

I think I'd feel worse about the coaching staff, if the shape that they trotted out Maurer and Shrout in during the 2019 season, was after they had "prepared" them over the spring and fall camps.

Reactions: Tnphil
Once again. I’ve been to the practices. Maurer and Shrout split time between the 2s and 3s. JG got the 1s. During scrimmage (which they do every day contrary to popular belief) JG went with the 1s and BM and JTS stayed with the 2s. So no..... neither were given the opportunity to practice with the 1s until Maurer was named the starter. Even then he split time with JG with the 1s and JG alternated between the 1s and 2s.

Reactions: Tnphil
You neverJGers are so bad at this, BM didn't even play vs S Carolina and amazingly you are giving him credit for that win. You're either a troll or a fraud as a Vol fan, or you simply just make up stuff to make your argument look better.
You are right ..I got the GA game confused with SCar.
But I see you've resorted to the Never JGer name calling......again. Like a chihuahua backed into a corner. So predictable.
Go read my other posts again. I want JG to do well. Good Lord your comprehension ability is terrible. You just simply resort to name calling.

Reactions: 1vol8
You are right ..I got the GA game confused with SCar.
But I see you've resorted to the Never JGer name calling......again. Like a chihuahua backed into a corner. So predictable.
Go read my other posts again. I want JG to do well. Good Lord your comprehension ability is terrible. You just simply resort to name calling.
There is a lot more to it than just the so called critical criticism the neverJGers claim is all they do. I think the QB situation is clear, JG earned the starting QB role the 2nd half in Ky which was a quality SEC road win. Several want anyone but him but I think it's clear he's QB1 for whatever reasons going in to the seasons. 2 things can happen, he can either play well, which I simply believe he will, or he will continue to be inconsistent, lose Coach Pruitt's trust and QB2 will play. Pretty simple stuff yet we have those on here that predict doom and gloom for the Vols if JG does anything other than wear a headset as stated here before. I simply feel that's an ignorant statement to predefine a season based on their couch coach prediction of the future play of JG. So, if we all know he's going to be QB1, why don't we start talking about his successes more, compliment when it's proper and quit bringing up everything negative. I say this because that's the same type negative crap the NegaVols have been spewing since they ran Fulmer and seemingly every other person of TN ties off the hill. All the negativity hasn't worked since Fulmer left, it's time we as a fanbase take a different approach and support our players through the good and bad.

Once again. I’ve been to the practices. Maurer and Shrout split time between the 2s and 3s. JG got the 1s. During scrimmage (which they do every day contrary to popular belief) JG went with the 1s and BM and JTS stayed with the 2s. So no..... neither were given the opportunity to practice with the 1s until Maurer was named the starter. Even then he split time with JG with the 1s and JG alternated between the 1s and 2s.
Fine, I get it, your take is that Coach Pruitt and Chaney are both lying when they clearly have stated how they evaluate the QBs. You simply believe Coach Pruitt is flat out lying, I don't and am gonna take his word for it simply because I've never heard him say BM makes throws only a few players in the world can make.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
There is nothing to expose as I have said nothing but facts.

Have fun on the FCS messageboard with the ten other posters they have once BM transfers soon.

FCS? Come on now...

I think Brian is going to make you disappear again this year. That was a fact last year. Which is ridiculous, because that probably means we are winning.

Truthfully, Brian and JG playing together seemed to be the winning formula..

Fine, I get it, your take is that Coach Pruitt and Chaney are both lying when they clearly have stated how they evaluate the QBs. You simply believe Coach Pruitt is flat out lying, I don't and am gonna take his word for it simply because I've never heard him say BM makes throws only a few players in the world can make.
Never said either of them are lying. Especially Chaney given the fact that he rarely talks to media. But if you’re looking at it with an open mind you’d be completely naive to believe all the coaches agree on all things regardless of what they say to the media. Of coarse they will back their boss but that doesn’t mean they agree behind closed doors. As fans, if you want the actual truth you gotta face the facts of occurrences and pay attention to the details of the season. Chaney’s play calling between the qbs was that detail that should tell us all how HE really felt. This is a proven, professional qb coach we’re talking about here and He put the ball in the air much more with Maurer than he did with JG. Does that tell you Maurer was an int machine in practice like we were being told? Does it say he was erratic like we were told? Doesn’t tell me that. It tells me he trusted Maurer quite a bit. According to practice reports why would he trust him so much? Is it possible that we weren’t being told the truth or possibly mislead? Is it possible that Chaney seen it the same way I did when I told you guys last year that what I seen didn’t match reports or the narrative?

Look up what I said about practice last year and you’ll see that what I said is exactly how it played out on the field. I told everyone willing to listen that JG was the most experienced and it showed in his decision making. Maurer was the most accurate and explosive and moved the offense with ease. And Shrout was the strongest arm but control was an issue. But I have no credibility because I know one of them. 🤷‍♂️

You're on record as saying he can't improve his innate abilities
No. I am on record saying that his problems appear to be innate. If they are... then his ability to improve is limited.

But I get it. You have to be dishonest and make those who disagree with you look as unreasonable as you are. I don't make definitive statements about future events that I do not control.

So... just for the record so you and everyone else can see... JG has demonstrated for 3 years that he processes information slowly and does not anticipate throws well. He's worked hard but these same basic flaws continue to manifest themselves in different ways. They very much appear to be innate weaknesses. I would love to be wrong but 3 years of observation suggests I am not.

you're on record as saying he's reached his ceiling and Vols will be just mediocre until he's gone and on record as saying Vols O will not improve with him as starting QB.
Yes. I "believe" he's at or near his ceiling as a passer due to the factor I mentioned above. I have also said there are other things he can improve on. The team around him can certainly improve. But until he improves on anticipating throws and processing reads faster... if he in fact can... he is a liability.

If I ever said the O could not improve in other ways with him at QB then I was incorrect. I do not recall saying it. But I fully expect the run game to improve this year.

I'm sure you have stated in the past that you were done with JG and there is no hope because you can't improve how he thinks. I'm on record as calling all of your crap as pure BS.
No. You are on record reading into what others say what you want them to say so that you can burn straw men and claim a heroic victory.

You OTOH have said that his development is exactly where it should be. IOW's, you see NO problems with his performance to date.

FCS? Come on now...

I think Brian is going to make you disappear again this year. That was a fact last year. Which is ridiculous, because that probably means we are winning.

There's merit to that but it isn't a formula for long term success.

Playing both made opposing DC's prepare for things that Maurer does that JG doesn't do. Mostly improv stuff but also RPO's and quick routes. JG was not a threat last year to hit quick reads or RPO's. DC's could play "run first" and still get back into coverage most of the time.

Reactions: LittleVol
FCS? Come on now...

JG saving the day was the formula you mean right?

Why would BM playing mean we were winning? He didn't win and only came in because we were not winning.

He did not turn the team around he just added to the losses.

It is comical that you actually believe that.... I mean you really do. It is amazing how delusional you are.

Why would BM playing mean we were winning? He didn't win and only came in because we were not winning.
You ALMOST tripped over the truth... BM should NOT have had to play. JG didn't "save the day". He was CONSTANTLY the very reason "the day" was in jeopardy. That same exact team with even "good" play from JG would have been 10-3 and possibly better. They would have destroyed GSU and BYU... and Vandy and IU. They would not have been run off the field by UF, UGA, or Bama.

You keep trying to blame a kid who wasn't ready... who had no business being out there but HAD TO BE because your guy did not play well.

Which game did Maurer play in where the result of the game would have been a win if he had not played? In fact, the Bama game was competitive when Maurer went out.

We finished 3rd from the bottom in rushing, who do we replace there to get better?

Uh, I think it is obvious that we need more out of the OL and RBs. I don’t disagree with that at all.

Note that I didn’t say that any QB needed to to be “replaced.” I said that we need more out of the position. You appear to be so sensitive about Guarantano that you’ve lost your ability to read and to reason. Any unbiased fan would agree that we need more out of that position...it was not a bright spot last season by any metric. Nor was any of the offense, as you pointed out. The defense (and a weak schedule) was more responsible for those wins down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
JG was the most experienced and it showed in his decision making. Maurer was the most accurate and explosive and moved the offense with ease. And Shrout was the strongest arm but control was an issue. 🤷‍♂️

I haven’t Seen Shrout, but based on what I saw of Guatantano and Maurer, I think these are accurate descriptions. If we could get the middle point of those two, I think we would have the right QB, because one’s weakness is the other’s strength.

Maurer is a gunslinger with high confidence. He isn’t afraid to make any throw. The downside is that it leads to interceptions.

Guarantano is cautious to the point that he is late on nearly every throw and takes a lot of hits/sacks. McIlroy pointed this out over and over during one of the telecasts last season...and he was absolutely correct in his analysis.

We need something more in the middle IMO.

The hope is that one or both will improve.

Can we all agree we don’t care who the QB is as long as they are producing and we are winning?
Without a doubt. I read so much crap in these JG threads from both "sides" that simply is wrong, but I've got zero interest in having a debate about it for the 50th time lol. I just want somebody to win the job and run an efficient offense that can stay on the field and move the ball without hibernating for 2 or 3 drives at a time.

I haven’t Seen Shrout, but based on what I saw of Guatantano and Maurer, I think these are accurate descriptions. If we could get the middle point of those two, I think we would have the right QB, because one’s weakness is the other’s strength.

Maurer is a gunslinger with high confidence. He isn’t afraid to make any throw. The downside is that it leads to interceptions.

Guarantano is cautious to the point that he is late on nearly every throw and takes a lot of hits/sacks. McIlroy pointed this out over and over during one of the telecasts last season...and he was absolutely correct in his analysis.

We need something more in the middle IMO.

The hope is that one or both will improve.
Actually if you think back you have seen Shrout vs UT Chatt. There was a pretty large sample size of him passing in that game. You can make your own determination on if I was right or wrong by watching it on you tube but That was the game we seen the most from him due to being benched fairly quickly later in the season. I was just reminding Pulaski that I said all those things after watching practices myself and well before the start of the 2019 season. But not many wanted to listen.

I think either of the 2 possibilities COULD happen. JG COULD begin playing a more balanced style between check downs and downfield. If given the opportunity Maurer COULD learn to check down and take less chances. The more likely and easier of the two is Maurer learning to check down as he learns more of the offense and begins to KNOW where everyone is opposed to having to find them. Finding the 2nd and 3rd option takes more time than knowing where to look next. That’s what it seems a lot of people don’t understand about freshman qbs. Not only are they learning a new language but they are also adjusting to a new “speed of game”.

Reactions: EZE
Actually if you think back you have seen Shrout vs UT Chatt. There was a pretty large sample size of him passing in that game. You can make your own determination on if I was right or wrong by watching it on you tube but That was the game we seen the most from him due to being benched fairly quickly later in the season. I was just reminding Pulaski that I said all those things after watching practices myself and well before the start of the 2019 season. But not many wanted to listen.

I think either of the 2 possibilities COULD happen. JG COULD begin playing a more balanced style between check downs and downfield. If given the opportunity Maurer COULD learn to check down and take less chances. The more likely and easier of the two is Maurer learning to check down as he learns more of the offense and begins to KNOW where everyone is opposed to having to find them. Finding the 2nd and 3rd option takes more time than knowing where to look next. That’s what it seems a lot of people don’t understand about freshman qbs. Not only are they learning a new language but they are also adjusting to a new “speed of game”.

Most of a player’s improvement comes between Year 1 and 2 IMO. So, I agree on Maurer.

Reactions: 1vol8
Most of a player’s improvement comes between Year 1 and 2 IMO. So, I agree on Maurer.
I believe that’s correct to an extent. Year 2 is still no indication of what you’ll have as a junior or senior. Think of it in terms of learning a new language like I said earlier. After a solid year in the class you can “speak” the language but wouldn’t be considered “fluent”. However at the same time you DID learn more that year than any other year. If Maurer gets the opportunity to become “fluent” in Chaney’s offense, I suspect many apologies will come my way in year 3-4. Until then I’ll just shot the chit. Lol

If Maurer becomes the man. You will disappear. And I THINK we would be winning. So it's ridiculous that you would disappear. But you would.

JG came in saved the day MSU. UK.
That's it. Balled out VS Mizzou.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971

Come on KTown. I know you play deadhead sometimes but you can’t possibly believe Maurer is easy to game plan against. That’s why “if he were playing we were winning”. Mississippi Sate and the great Nick Saban both had film on him and you’d be a fool to believe that Kirby didn’t look at his Hs film again to take away what he does well. And none of them succeed as a true freshman. Imagine if he’d have been a junior or senior in those games. Planning against him will only get harder the more he develops over the years to come. His play had UT actually BEATING Georgia, beating MSU and tied with Alabama in their own house. His best games were against two of the top rated teams in the nation. So if qbs are judged by how well they do vs the stiffest competition then I’d say Maurer proved himself. You and your boy just don’t want to give the kid the credit he deserves.

Ps. Coming off a lifeless loss to GAST, BYU and another blowout loss to Florida....... it’s easy to see WHEN the team made its turn around. The first time we seen UT play like a team that believed it could win was vs UGA. Take it for what it’s worth.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
Without a doubt. I read so much crap in these JG threads from both "sides" that simply is wrong, but I've got zero interest in having a debate about it for the 50th time lol. I just want somebody to win the job and run an efficient offense that can stay on the field and move the ball without hibernating for 2 or 3 drives at a time.
Agreed. I just want to be able to score in the redzone....

VN Store

Back