Repeating the Past - Recruiting 3-point shooters Like your Favorites

To me, Bjorklund was textbook, picture-perfect shooting the ball...period. I was incredulous at Brittany Jackson’s uncanny range and accuracy despite her interesting mechanics. Conklin was my favorite big shooting the 3. I also plug Cindy Brogdon who never could make a 3. And she was a sharpshooter.
Yes but she seemed to digress as pkayer junior and senior year, certainly teams had more video to scout her. What Woolsley maybe before 3 point was added, but she could shoot the rock, Bobbitt too

Thanks, stlvf, for letting me ride along. I’ll choose (but not necessarily rank) three due to the similarities and contrasts within their games, and because all of them played several seasons in the WNBA.

Try if you will, to find anyone with something negative to say about Kara Lawson. So, let’s just set her and her NINETEEN-HUNDRED-AND-FIVE career points and all-around game aside for now.

Shanna Zolman was an amazing shooter with enough all-around game to have a WNBA career, which but for a 2011 torn ACL, would likely have lasted several more seasons. Shanna is probably the best example of a Lady Vol shooter who, throughout her college/pro career, developed the other parts of her game. Zolman is our best-ever shooter. Her percentages back this up.

NOTE: There are role players, and there are ROLE PLAYERS! But ultimately, everyone is a role player. Finding, and sufficiently executing your role is the trick. And this was probably Pat Summitt’s greatest tactical strength as a coach. Consider phenomenal high school scoring machine Ace Clement, and Nikki Anosike, and the “roles” they played as Lady Vols. And, as a shooter-player Sydney Spencer was, IMO, our best ever. Many might recall that it was 6’-3” Sydney who raced out to harass and double-team Stanford’s Candice Wiggins in the 2007 Title Game ...because she could guard on the perimeter and quickly recover to rebound. She was also a conspicuous helper against press defense. A marvelous all-around player. Her 5 of 5 threes, 4 of 4 free throws, six rebounds, 2 assists and a blocked shot effort in our 2006 contest against Connecticut earned her Phillips Player of the Game. Spencer could have scored more if needed, but her length and smarts were better utilized in other ways. That, plus she had some high-octane teammates.
actually nikki guarded wiggins, one of Pat's best moves, Sidney might of relieved her, Stanford coach said when your best player is stopped by a 6ft4 center, you cant win

One of my favorite 3 point gunners, from days gone by, was Speedy Simmons....She was full of fight and gave her all on every play....Her type of grit was missing from this year's squad....

Speedy had the misfortune of mostly playing under Holly's infamous throw the ball to the tall girl offense...Don't shoot the 3 ball, unless you want a seat on the bench....What a waste!

The little Aussie girl, when open, has a hell of a stroke....This off season she has to work on her catch and release mechanics speed, and her foot speed has to be increased, has to be.....

I'm not sure if any "special set plays" were screened just for her to score, but there should have been....Let's hope Kellie sees the errors of her ways and uses the little Aussie more next season.

I think the more demon hunters on our team, the more dangerous of a team we will be...
9638193.jpeg

The little Aussie for 3!
1572165052_jessie-rennie_gs_t400_h927b74cbac7e8ad086f32074ab23fbf172218987.jpg
Simmons jacked up ball causing too many runouts for other team, no one knew when she would, never liked her game Glory was ripped off for SEC player of year and Simmons won. A Csrter from AM as freshman, but unlike Carter she never improved and selfish player, not surprising she never has done anything of note in game since.

We will have lengthy downtime before the next LadyVol game. I would like to suggest focusing on the past great three-point shooters -those who could create their own shot and others who used screens exceptionally. The LVs had a player this year who hit 50% of her threes after her initial non-scoring games. And I don't remember watching a screen set play for her.

Who were your favorite shooters for the LVs and would they meet GameTime's criteria.

Hope to hear from some of my favorite fans that I read regularly : Gametime, Madetimevol, VA-volfan, Creekdipper, Rickster, Lvodc, Lucy, Djtee, PRG, Volfan2012, Amb3096, Krichunaka , Nobackboard, Darth-vol, Deerpark12 , Coach Jumper, Putbacks, DeckerMoss

Sorry it took so long, but I had to really think about and research this one

When I think about 3-pt shooters I not only consider volume, but timing as well...Did they make them when we needed them most?!

In recent times, Rennia Davis,,,not so much for volume, as for timing. She hits them when they count.

Historically:

Kara Lawson....#2 all time career three-point percentage with a 41.5 percent mark...256-617 and once went 6 for 6 in a game
Shanna Zolman...266 of 626 for .425%
Angie Bjorklund...305 of 738 for .413%
Sidney Spencer...133 of 336 for .396%
Taber Spani...143 of 381 for .375%

Sid and Taber, not so much for cumulative stats, but for timing. When we needed a 3, they seemed to come through.

3-Point Field Goals 8 in a game...Ariel Massengale and Meighan Simmons (twice)

In championship games
Abby Conklin...4 for 5 in 1996.
Kellie Jolly (Coach K)...4 for 5 in 1998

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone's expectations, but I would submit that Kara Lawson has to get the nod as being Tennessee's best three point shooter. She was consistently above 40% for a few seasons, and that's on around 140-160 shot attempts from behind the arc. Forged in fire, that one. If I had to pick one to take the shot I would pick her over anyone else.

Outside of that, Bjorklund, Zolman, and Bobbit would be the other three that come to mind, although Bobbit benefited from playing alongside some of the best for her stint at Tennessee (I mean, so did Bjorklund and Zolman, so it's a wash). I want to say Hornbuckle had a good shot too but she wasn't shooting it nearly as often. OH ALSO. Don't sleep on Gwen Jackson. Nearly 50% from behind the arc that one year. Sure, she only made a few dozen attempts, but she hit about 40% another year and I think overall she had a good average. I kid, but still, she was ahead of the curve what with that precision from a post player.

It's not that hard to find open three's. It really helps when you have posts that have good vision.

Off of a defensive stop and a properly run secondary break, you can almost always get an open look from 3.

Reactions: krichunaka
thank you all for your knowledge and memories and very few criticisms of the abilities of the last THREE (smile) LV coaches abilities to recognize and utilize the three point- offense. PHS was not an early adopter and acknowledged that later. In reflecting on the quality quotes many of the players identified had multiple above average offensive skills, that benefited their ability to create.

Strickland was IMO the best prolength-range shooter, and a player unfortunately required to be a PG given the void when she arrived.

I think Zolman was the best 'pure' shooter if left open and as one poster said above, Brittany Jackson definitely had some "interesting mechanics". I second that one!!!

Even opposing fans (and tv production crews) loved Brittany's mechanics.

1034763-B.jpg

Have to go with Zolman. The numbers don't lie.

sptsvols.jpg
0e341d7f-c0e1-51f8-9220-eceefeed9097.image.jpg
a-zolman_6914.jpg

3sopfv.jpg

Last edited:
Bjorklund until Pat decided to change or expand her game ,totally screwed her up as a player.

I was an Angie Bjorklund fan, so I find your claim very interesting. I don’t recall what went so wrong, but would appreciate your input as to what Coach Summitt specifically did to “screw up her game.”
Though, obviously one of our Best, Angie’s game certainly needed expanded. She wanted to play in the WNBA; her skills were apparently not conducive to a career at that level. So, yes, she needed, for the lack of a better phrase, more Game. I think that her coach knew this, and tried to better prepare her for that next step.
I respect and appreciate your knowledge, and look forward to your response.
BTW, I think Miss Bjorklund is, or recently was actually playing professionally outside the U. S.

What a fun topic! I am thinking about this but need some help. Does anyone remember who Pat was talking about when she said ”She gets off the bus shooting”?

Brittany Jackson - and it was a much a comment on her shot selection as it was on her range :D

Needing a bball injection, I watched the Candace vs Courtney Paris game yesterday. Of all the great players in that game, Shannon Bobbitt was the most entertaining. We need 3 or 4 just like her. I would have said "5", but you need some players taller than 5'2".

I was an Angie Bjorklund fan, so I find your claim very interesting. I don’t recall what went so wrong, but would appreciate your input as to what Coach Summitt specifically did to “screw up her
game.”
Though, obviously one of our Best, Angie’s game certainly needed expanded. She wanted to play in the WNBA; her skills were apparently not conducive to a career at that level. So, yes, she needed, for the lack of a better phrase, more Game. I think that her coach knew this, and tried to better prepare her for that next step.
I respect and appreciate your knowledge, and look forward to your response.
BTW, I think Miss Bjorklund is, or recently was actually playing professionally outside the U. S.

I'm glad Angie is still at it. She was such a great Lady Vol. I don't remember her game being ruined, but I do remember Pat insisting she play some defense, and I thought she improved there.

VN Store

Back