Repeating the Past - Recruiting 3-point shooters Like your Favorites

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
We will have lengthy downtime before the next LadyVol game. I would like to suggest focusing on the past great three-point shooters -those who could create their own shot and others who used screens exceptionally. The LVs had a player this year who hit 50% of her threes after her initial non-scoring games. And I don't remember watching a screen set play for her.

Who were your favorite shooters for the LVs and would they meet GameTime's criteria.

Hope to hear from some of my favorite fans that I read regularly : Gametime, Madetimevol, VA-volfan, Creekdipper, Rickster, Lvodc, Lucy, Djtee, PRG, Volfan2012, Amb3096, Krichunaka , Nobackboard, Darth-vol, Deerpark12 , Coach Jumper, Putbacks, DeckerMoss

Reactions: GameTime
Past great three point shooters Bjorklund, Lawson, and Zolman all three shot over 40 percent I believe on a lot of attempts. We haven't had a shooter like those three in a while. Zolman had trouble creating her own shot more than the the other two I mentioned. Of course we've had some others that shot a lot, but none of them were as efficient as these three that I can remember maybe someone else can name someone I forgot.

Reactions: Dube
Past great three point shooters Bjorklund, Lawson, and Zolman all three shot over 40 percent I believe on a lot of attempts. We haven't had a shooter like those three in a while. Zolman had trouble creating her own shot more than the the other two I mentioned. Of course we've had some others that shot a lot, but none of them were as efficient as these three that I can remember maybe someone else can name someone I forgot.
I don't rightly remember any others when we use the word great. Probably are some though.

I would add Simmons and Bobbitt to the list of Bjorklund, Lawson, and Zolman. As far as who would be my shooting guard......gotta go with Bobbitt and take care of the point position as well. She hit over 40% of her 3's and is #8 on the list of 3's made even though she only played 2 years. I also like Simmons and she could get hot and flat out go off but the team was only as good as Simmons was on any given night. Everyone on the list was a great shooter so the difference becomes the other skill sets of the player.

What a fun topic! I am thinking about this but need some help. Does anyone remember who Pat was talking about when she said ”She gets off the bus shooting”?

To me, Bjorklund was textbook, picture-perfect shooting the ball...period. I was incredulous at Brittany Jackson’s uncanny range and accuracy despite her interesting mechanics. Conklin was my favorite big shooting the 3. I also plug Cindy Brogdon who never could make a 3. And she was a sharpshooter.

Last edited:
We will have lengthy downtime before the next LadyVol game. I would like to suggest focusing on the past great three-point shooters -those who could create their own shot and others who used screens exceptionally. The LVs had a player this year who hit 50% of her threes after her initial non-scoring games. And I don't remember watching a screen set play for her.

Who were your favorite shooters for the LVs and would they meet GameTime's criteria.

Hope to hear from some of my favorite fans that I read regularly : Gametime, Madetimevol, VA-volfan, Creekdipper, Rickster, Lvodc, Lucy, Djtee, PRG, Volfan2012, Amb3096, Krichunaka , Nobackboard, Darth-vol, Deerpark12 , Coach Jumper, Putbacks, DeckerMoss

One of my favorite 3 point gunners, from days gone by, was Speedy Simmons....She was full of fight and gave her all on every play....Her type of grit was missing from this year's squad....

Speedy had the misfortune of mostly playing under Holly's infamous throw the ball to the tall girl offense...Don't shoot the 3 ball, unless you want a seat on the bench....What a waste!

The little Aussie girl, when open, has a hell of a stroke....This off season she has to work on her catch and release mechanics speed, and her foot speed has to be increased, has to be.....

I'm not sure if any "special set plays" were screened just for her to score, but there should have been....Let's hope Kellie sees the errors of her ways and uses the little Aussie more next season.

I think the more demon hunters on our team, the more dangerous of a team we will be...
9638193.jpeg

The little Aussie for 3!
1572165052_jessie-rennie_gs_t400_h927b74cbac7e8ad086f32074ab23fbf172218987.jpg

Last edited:
Tiffany Woosley is my all time favorite, because she was really Pat's first great three point shooter (took Pat a long time to really embrace the three point shot) and I loved that class. I would rank Zolman as the best pure shooter ever to wear the orange, with Lawson and Bjorklund right behind her...

Kara Lawson concluded her career as the UT career leader in 3 pointers made, and the long ball was only a small part of her game. That shows how little Tennessee emphasized the 3 pt shot. Zolman later broke her record, and I think Bjorklund is now the career leader, but even her numbers are quite low compared to the career leaders at UConn, Iowa State or other schools where the 3 was a bigger part of the offense. Even when Angie was there, the game plan was to get the ball in the paint first and kick it out. I don't recall a lot plays being drawn up to get Angie free for the 3. If she played for a school that emphasized outside shooting more, she could have been the NCAA leader. Her shot was as pure as they come. Ironically, the much maligned Simmons is the school leader in made threes in a game (8?). When she was on, she was not shy about letting it fly. Actually, she was gonna let it fly regardless...

Reactions: GameTime
Thanks, stlvf, for letting me ride along. I’ll choose (but not necessarily rank) three due to the similarities and contrasts within their games, and because all of them played several seasons in the WNBA.

Try if you will, to find anyone with something negative to say about Kara Lawson. So, let’s just set her and her NINETEEN-HUNDRED-AND-FIVE career points and all-around game aside for now.

Shanna Zolman was an amazing shooter with enough all-around game to have a WNBA career, which but for a 2011 torn ACL, would likely have lasted several more seasons. Shanna is probably the best example of a Lady Vol shooter who, throughout her college/pro career, developed the other parts of her game. Zolman is our best-ever shooter. Her percentages back this up.

NOTE: There are role players, and there are ROLE PLAYERS! But ultimately, everyone is a role player. Finding, and sufficiently executing your role is the trick. And this was probably Pat Summitt’s greatest tactical strength as a coach. Consider phenomenal high school scoring machine Ace Clement, and Nikki Anosike, and the “roles” they played as Lady Vols. And, as a shooter-player Sidney Spencer was, IMO, our best ever. Many might recall that it was 6’-3” Sidney who raced out to harass and double-team Stanford’s Candice Wiggins in the 2007 Title Game ...because she could guard on the perimeter and quickly recover to rebound. She was also a conspicuous helper against press defense. A marvelous all-around player. Her 5 of 5 threes, 4 of 4 free throws, six rebounds, 2 assists and a blocked shot effort in our 2006 contest against Connecticut earned her Phillips Player of the Game. Spencer could have scored more if needed, but her length and smarts were better utilized in other ways. That, plus she had some high-octane teammates.
Edited to thank Chitownvol1129 for pointing out that it was actually Nikki Anosike, whom I had mentioned as one of the great “role players” for the Lady Vols, who helped guard the perimeter against Stanford. The Tree had game-planned to hold the ball until approximately the 10-second shot clock point before executing their offense. Coach Summitt responded and pressured the perimeter, and specifically Candice Wiggins, which essentially ruined Stanford’s game plan, and held them below Fifty Points ...a very rare feat. Not only did I get the wrong player for that assignment, Sidney had graduated the year previous.
Spencer was a very good player, who could defend the perimeter, but I confused the two Championship Games. OOPS! Thanks, chitown1129..

Last edited:
Jessie could be one of the best ever but they need to work on helping her by setting screens and set plays to get her open. So far this year it seemed they only fed her when she was just left open. Her late in the season percentage was way up there
In my opinion, she might be the best shooter on the team. They need to run plays to get her open looks.

Welcome to the board Larry....I like how you think.

I hear you, GameTime; Welcome, Larry!
Keep in mind that as we become better offensively - and we will! - when we have more better shooters - and we will! - as we become more threatening from the “GameTime Demon Zone” - and we will! - plus, the players we have will shoot better ...after all this, we’ll look and play with more confidence; we’ll have better spacing. Because the most effective offenses are the ones that Spread The Court! Because the best offenses - and specifically the “shooters’ offenses, are the confident offenses. No (or certainly not many) special plays or schemes are required when there’s no one for the defense to “cheat off of.”
Oh, we are going to be so good!
Cheers!

As a fan, didn't you people feel your heart race a little faster whenever "The Little Aussie" got the ball in her hands? It as Dr Frank N Furter, of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame said, "see you shiver with anticipation" of what was about to happen....Three points from the land of the demon....The demon rips the heart out of it's opponents, and raises up the pride of it's teammates....Modern basketball at it's finest.

If Kellie will design some plays for our little Aussie, and she rips the net a few times with her "demon ball", the opponents will have to shade their defense to stop the little girl from down under, thus weakening their inside defensive presence, which frees up "The Big Key" for an easy 2, or another of our demon hunters...

Guys, if coach Kellie would read our board, she could solve all of her offensive problems, or be selling real estate real soon....

"Three Point Demon"....
9nwxjfwv2a801.jpg

Reactions: krichunaka
Brittany Jackson her freshman year when Pat started her in the tournament. She hit some big shots for the LVs! Really fun to watch and great move by Coach!

VN Store

Back