Rennia or Rae

who has had the best season this year Rennia or Rae?

• Rennia Davis

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Rae Burrell

Votes: 42 65.6%

• Total voters

LadyVols_WBK

there's a big debate on twitter over the SEC Player of the year award and some are saying Rennia doesn't deserve it because she isnt even the best/ consistent player for the Lady Vols

there's a big debate on twitter over the SEC Player of the year award and some are saying Rennia doesn't deserve it because she isnt even the best/ consistent player for the Lady Vols
This is true. Rae has been the most consistent player for the Lady Vols this year. She has not had more than 2 or 3 bad games. I believe most fans regard Rennia as the most potential player for the LVs.

Small sample size, I am stunned to see more people think Rae! Love Rae, Rennia is our best player though. Rae is a better shooter from deep but Rennia tops her in every other statistical category.

Re is almost averaging a double double in SEC play (close to 20/10 which is wild) and doing so very efficiently.

I will say Rae’s style of play is that of a player who spaces her scoring out over the course of the game. She does a great job getting us a bucket when we really need one.

Rennia is a much streakier player, even in games. She tends to score in bunches but can have tough stretches. Having a player who can score a lot of points very quickly is very beneficial though. As we saw with Missouri, she can literally take over a game. Rae can’t quite do that. She can affect it a lot but she can’t outright control it on the offensive end.

Obviously just my opinion, but I also believe the record books of Lady Vol basketball will solidify Rennia as the best player we’ve had since Candace.

Last edited:
I am stunned to see more people think Rae. Love Rae, Rennia is our best player though. Rae is a better shooter from deep but Rennia tops her in every other statistical category.

Re is almost averaging double double (close to 20/10 which is wild) and doing so very efficiently.

I will say Rae’s style of play is that of a player who spaces her scoring out over the course of the game. She does a great job getting us a bucket when we really need one.

Rennia is a much streakier player, even in games. She tends to score in bunches but can have tough stretches. Having a player who can score a lot of points very quickly is very beneficial though. As we saw with Missouri, she can literally take over a game. Rae can’t quite do that. She can affect it a lot but she can’t outright control it on the offensive end.

Obviously just my opinion, but I also believe the record books of Lady Vol basketball will solidify Rennia as the best player we’ve had since Candace.
Exactly

Reactions: VolBall09
I feel for the SEC season only it’s Rennia... even for the overall season it’s Rennia due to her overall game. She changes the tide of the team and affects the game more when she isn’t scoring than Rae does when she isn’t scoring. That’s the next step Rae needs to take is in rebounding and assists. But she’s a dynamite defensive player.

We may have to wait till next year to answer which one verses the other (careers) ? Rae has improved every year and you have to see her aggressive play and she has a lot more quickness in her game ! Put them on a 50 yard dash and Rae will win that also ? JMO

I guess the true measurement will be in the pro’s ??? But the main question was POY and Rennia should take it this year but Rae has been a favorite of mine since she stepped on campus ! 1614431652128.png

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We may have to wait till next year to answer which one verses the other (careers) ? Rae has improved every year and you have to see her aggressive play and she has a lot more quickness in her game ! Put them on a 50 yard dash and Rae will win that also ? JMO

I guess the true measurement will be in the pro’s ??? But the main question was POY and Rennia should take it this year but Rae has been a favorite of mine since she stepped on campus !
Mine as well. I tagged her with the nickname "energizer bunny" from the very beginning. The girl just doesn't slow down. When Rae is on the floor, something is going to happen. Early on in her career it might be good or it might be bad, but something was going to happen. I'm just glad it's almost all good now.

I guess the true measurement will be in the pro’s ??? But the main question was POY and Rennia should take it this year but Rae has been a favorite of mine since she stepped on campus ! View attachment 354590
Not sure here, Rae plays fast, but Ren has another gear she rarely uses.

Some stats for comparison...

Rae: 17.2ppg, 48.8 2P%, 41.5 3P%, 79.7 FT%, 4.3 rpg, 1.8apg, 0.9spg, 0.4bpg, 1.4 PF
Re: 16.5ppg, 56.1 2P%, 25.8 3P%, 81.8 FT%, 8.6rpg, 2.6apg, 0.9spg, 0.4bpg, 1.8 PF

And advanced stats:

Rae: 0.96 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 52.7 EFG%, 12.2 FT rate%, 6.9 RB%, 0.73 A/TO, 4.4 win shares
Re: 0.99 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 51.8 EFG%, 14.1 FT rate%, 13.9 RB%, 1.36 A/TO, 5.5 win shares

Should also add that the numbers have improved almost across the board for Rennia as competition has increased in-conference and have dipped slightly for Rae. Rennia is flat out one of the best offensive players in the SEC (1st in offensive win shares per 40 minutes, 2nd in offensive win shares, 3rd in overall win shares, 2nd in turnover %/rate, 4th in 2P%, 7th in points per play, 11th in A/TO), and is in the top 10 in defensive and total rebounds/game. Both players have steadily improved throughout their careers, though Rae's growth is certainly more dramatic year-to-year. I feel grateful to have them both as two of the best Lady Vols since Candace Parker.

Some stats for comparison...

Rae: 17.2ppg, 48.8 2P%, 41.5 3P%, 79.7 FT%, 4.3 rpg, 1.8apg, 0.9spg, 0.4bpg, 1.4 PF
Re: 16.5ppg, 56.1 2P%, 25.8 3P%, 81.8 FT%, 8.6rpg, 2.6apg, 0.9spg, 0.4bpg, 1.8 PF

And advanced stats:

Rae: 0.96 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 52.7 EFG%, 12.2 FT rate%, 6.9 RB%, 0.73 A/TO, 4.4 win shares
Re: 0.99 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 51.8 EFG%, 14.1 FT rate%, 13.9 RB%, 1.36 A/TO, 5.5 win shares

Should also add that the numbers have improved almost across the board for Rennia as competition has increased in-conference and have dipped slightly for Rae. Rennia is flat out one of the best offensive players in the SEC (1st in offensive win shares per 40 minutes, 2nd in offensive win shares, 3rd in overall win shares, 2nd in turnover %/rate, 4th in 2P%, 7th in points per play, 11th in A/TO), and is in the top 10 in defensive and total rebounds/game. Both players have steadily improved throughout their careers, though Rae's growth is certainly more dramatic year-to-year. I feel grateful to have them both as two of the best Lady Vols since Candace Parker.
where did you get the advanced stats

I am not going to get into a debate over who is better at the current moment (the LVs need both to be playing at a high level to make a tournament run).

But, Rae is the posterchild for the diamond in the rough. She has off the chart athleticism but as a freshman could not make shots (which was so odd given her form was textbook), made rash decisions, and as commonly noted, played like a bull in a china shop.

She showed some very nice development last season and now we are seeing the emergence of an elite player. Credit to her for putting in the work and to Kellie and co. for helping to shape this beautiful diamond. I am 100% certain that Rae has another level that we will see next season.

Last edited:
neat what about Rhyne Howard and Aliyah Bostons advanced stats in the SEC compared to Rennia

Great question! Re & Rhyne have very similar profiles. For example, Rhyne leads the SEC in offensive win shares, and Rennia leads in offensive win shares per 40 minutes; Rhyne is 2nd in PER (player efficiency rating), Rennia is 3rd. Rennia's defensive rating (30th to 52nd) is better as are her rebounding numbers, but Rhyne has slightly higher steal and block %s. Rennia is 2nd in the conference with her very low turnover rate, but I was surprised to see Rhyne is actually 6th in the conference in A/TO (and Rennia is 11th).

Aliyah is a bit harder to compare as a pure post but she leads the SEC in PER, win shares, defensive win shares, and defensive rating. Aliyah is also the conference's top shot-blocker and is 3rd in block% (behind Tamari!). I don't see how she won't be defensive POY. Like Rennia, Aliyah had a slow start to the season but her numbers have significantly improved in-conference.

Some full season advanced stats for comparison:

Rhyne: 0.99 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 52.2 EFG%, 19.8 FT rate%, 11.2 RB%, 1.58 A/TO, 5.8 win shares
Aliyah: 0.95 points per play, 1.07 points per shot attempt, 50.6 EFG%, 14.1 FT rate%, 19.4 RB%, 1.03 A/TO, 6.9 win shares

Great question! Re & Rhyne have very similar profiles. For example, Rhyne leads the SEC in offensive win shares, and Rennia leads in offensive win shares per 40 minutes; Rhyne is 2nd in PER (player efficiency rating), Rennia is 3rd. Rennia's defensive rating (30th to 52nd) is better as are her rebounding numbers, but Rhyne has slightly higher steal and block %s. Rennia is 2nd in the conference with her very low turnover rate, but I was surprised to see Rhyne is actually 6th in the conference in A/TO (and Rennia is 11th).

Aliyah is a bit harder to compare as a pure post but she leads the SEC in PER, win shares, defensive win shares, and defensive rating. Aliyah is also the conference's top shot-blocker and is 3rd in block% (behind Tamari!). I don't see how she won't be defensive POY. Like Rennia, Aliyah had a slow start to the season but her numbers have significantly improved in-conference.

Some full season advanced stats for comparison:

Rhyne: 0.99 points per play, 1.11 points per shot attempt, 52.2 EFG%, 19.8 FT rate%, 11.2 RB%, 1.58 A/TO, 5.8 win shares
Aliyah: 0.95 points per play, 1.07 points per shot attempt, 50.6 EFG%, 14.1 FT rate%, 19.4 RB%, 1.03 A/TO, 6.9 win shares
thxs for the info!!

Reactions: Lucy and travis929
Davis may be the better player but Rae has been the glue player to keep us in games until Davis finally decides it's time to play. Tough call either way. I just appreciate having both of them.
Rae has the best outside shot, but Davis also shoots the 3 well, handles the ball better, has fewer turnovers, rebounds better and can play better defense. However, both players have shared the majority of the work load and we would be less than an average team without both of them. We will really miss Davis next year. I could see Tennessee in the top ten next year if , for some reason, Davis decided to come back. I think they will get some added help from the new class coming in, especially at the 1 and 3-4 positions.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Re will not be SEC POY. And its Rae's fault. But in the best possible way.

Saw a discussion of on SEC network of POY, Re of course listed as a candidate but no votes, barely a mention from the panel. Her ppg way below the rest. BECAUSE, she has been one of the most unselfish, team oriented, non diva players in history this year, welcoming and enabling the emergence of her running mate.

I've said several times, but worth repeating, Re's sacrifice this year, putting team before individual accolades, may be looked back on as the key moment in the re-emergence of the LVs.

To the topic, their play is so dependent on the presence of the other that I could never choose between them. Without the threat each poses to the defense, neither would be the player they currently are.

VN Store

Back