Rennia Davis leaves possibility of return for 5th year open.

EarlVolFan

Tennessee women's basketball forward Rennia Davis could return for an extra year after her senior season.

Get Access

Davis said she watched a lot of WNBA this season, and that she studied a lot of film from Diamond DeShields, who played for Lady Vols from 2015-17.

DeShields was the last UT player to be selected in the first round of the WNBA Draft, picked third overall by the Chicago Sky in 2018. Davis said that she thinks her style of play is very similar to DeShields, comparing their abilities to score in transition.

Davis also said that the WNBA was where she wanted to be "next year" before later clarifying that she had not made a decision about her future.

"I think I have a lot of time to think about whether I want to enter my name into the draft next year or return for a fifth season," Davis said. "As of today, I'm not as concerned about (my future) as other people are."

Tennessee women's basketball forward Rennia Davis could return for an extra year after her senior season.

Get Access

Davis said she watched a lot of WNBA this season, and that she studied a lot of film from Diamond DeShields, who played for Lady Vols from 2015-17.

DeShields was the last UT player to be selected in the first round of the WNBA Draft, picked third overall by the Chicago Sky in 2018. Davis said that she thinks her style of play is very similar to DeShields, comparing their abilities to score in transition.

Davis also said that the WNBA was where she wanted to be "next year" before later clarifying that she had not made a decision about her future.

"I think I have a lot of time to think about whether I want to enter my name into the draft next year or return for a fifth season," Davis said. "As of today, I'm not as concerned about (my future) as other people are."

Davis is very smart by watching to determine where her place may be if she chooses to enter the draft. If she ask me, I would say stay 5th yr, take that advantage and build ur game. In professional she wouldn't have that chance.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
As much as I would LOVE for Davis to stay an additional year... if she has gotten why she needs with regards to her education.. I’d leave.

Ionescu could’ve left for the pro’s a year early(different situation obviously) yet came back in hope to go after a championship. COVID happened. And she went down 3 games into her pro career after putting it off a year.

If Davis thinks staying an additional year would potentially garner her a Natty(which it could because that team would be STACKED with her) if that’s her goal then stay.

As much as I would LOVE for Davis to stay an additional year... if she has gotten why she needs with regards to her education.. I’d leave.

Ionescu could’ve left for the pro’s a year early(different situation obviously) yet came back in hope to go after a championship. COVID happened. And she went down 3 games into her pro career after putting it off a year.

If Davis thinks staying an additional year would potentially garner her a Natty(which it could because that team would be STACKED with her) if that’s her goal then stay.
I dont see Davis staying she is likely gonna be the #1 pick in the 2021 draft if stays and enters the 2022 draft Rhyne Howard has the #1 pick locked......unless she doesnt care about what number she gets drafted and stays to pursue a natty I wouldnt mind our 21-22 Lady Vol class + Rennia would be CRAZY!!!!

if Rennia Stays what stops Keyen Green from leaving as well??
I know Jaiden and Kasi have said this their last year but Keyen hasnt said that

Last edited:
I dont see Davis staying she is likely gonna be the #1 pick in the 2021 draft if stays and enters the 2022 draft Rhyne Howard has trhe #1 pick locked......unless she doesnt care about what number she gets drafted and stays to pursue a natty I wouldnt mind our 21-22 Lady Vol class + Rennia would be CRAZY!!!!

if Rennia Stays what stops Keyen Green from leaving as well??
I know Jaiden and Kasi have said this their last year but Keyen hasnt said that
If Rennia and Keyen were both to stay an additional year (imo) we would be very hard to beat in next season

Not to start a war but i dont see her as a number 1 pick. As stated she is the smartest lady it appears on the team. She will make the best decision for herself as she should. I am not a fan of the WNBA but always a fan of a LVFL!

Not to start a war but i dont see her as a number 1 pick. As stated she is the smartest lady it appears on the team. She will make the best decision for herself as she should. I am not a fan of the WNBA but always a fan of a LVFL!

i don’t think that’s a war starter.. you don’t have to be a number 1 pick to be a difference maker. She can be a high draft pick who contributes to her team

I dont see her being picked below 2.....if Teams pass on her they will regret it

Reactions: mlindsay
This year is a very weak draft compared to next year’s. Even with another college season under her belt, Davis would likely be picked lower in 2022 than she would be in 2021.

If draft position is important to her, then it may make more sense for her to declare after this season.

From the video's ive seen , shes ready to go to the W. Jordan & Destiny were both saying stay for a 5th year and she gracefully shunned that idea lol , but hey COME ON BACK RE !

Seeing Rennia leave after this season will hurt a bit she has givin her all for Tennessee and the Lady Vol Program for 4 years her commitment never wavered when Holly was fired and Kellie was hired. She gave the new coach a chance and continued to improve year over year. I couldnt imagine Rennia anywhere else even though Tennessee was late on her recruitment. Rennia is a great basketball player and an even better person she deserves all the good things coming her way and hoping she has a long and successful career in the WNBA🎉

Rennia is a Lady Vol through an through.
Hope some WNBA GM's arent dumb enough to pass on her. I dare them too.

This reminds me of when Tamika Catchings was picked 3rd in the Draft and she had the BEST career of the 2 players picked before her.

it wasnt even close.
DiUyHfHVMAAEdU8 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Remember she came in having completed while in high school college academic credits to almost be a junior. I suspect she has or will soon have at least on MS.

Seeing Rennia leave after this season will hurt a bit she has givin her all for Tennessee and the Lady Vol Program for 4 years her commitment never wavered when Holly was fired and Kellie was hired. She gave the new coach a chance and continued to improve year over year. I couldnt imagine Rennia anywhere else even though Tennessee was late on her recruitment. Rennia is a great basketball player and an even better person she deserves all the good things coming her way and hoping she has a long and successful career in the WNBA🎉

This reminds me of when Tamika Catchings was picked 3rd in the Draft and she had the BEST career of the 2 players picked before her.

it wasnt even close.
View attachment 319886
Where she is picked depends on the needs of the teams that are picking first. If the teams that pick first don't need a player that plays her position she may go after the third or fourth pick. Jackie Young was a number one pick only because the team that had the first pick needed a guard. With the right WNBA coach she could become a star but she has to learn to play hard all game. She can't take plays off like she has done sometimes and expect to succeed in the WNBA.

Reactions: sccshortstop

it wasnt even close.
View attachment 319886
Nice photo of Rennia!
I'd love for her to stay another season. I can't wait to see her play this season, tho.
Thanks Rennia for choosing to be a LadyVol! 😊

Where she is picked depends on the needs of the teams that are picking first. If the teams that pick first don't need a player that plays her position she may go after the third or fourth pick. Jackie Young was a number one pick only because the team that had the first pick needed a guard. With the right WNBA coach she could become a star but she has to learn to play hard all game. She can't take plays off like she has done sometimes and expect to succeed in the WNBA.

Normally, yes...assuming that the best player at each position in the draft is comparable to one another. I think that because of how weak this draft is, Rennia will get picked in a "best available player" scenario. Let's say that a team needs a post player, but the best overall post in the draft is just an average player. I can see Rennia getting drafted for trading material and being offered in a trade for a better post than they would have been able to draft.

Get Access

Realistically, it is most likely that she goes pro after this season. If she doesn't, of course, that would be a great big cherry on top for the LVs. But the reason you hedge is that something could happen that changes your draft prospects in an unfavorable way. So, I hoping that she has a great senior-year season and then probably the next stage of her b-ball career awaits.

The Aces picking up Jackie Young at #1 in 2019 was one of the most horrible decisions ever.....did you guys see how Jackie Young played in the playoffs?? I'll tell you she couldnt even buy a bucket she was a turnover machine lol it was hard to watch......Bill Laimbeer passed on Arike for Jackie Young???....this season Arike lead the WNBA in Points per game and was on the WNBA All-First Team

that was some horrible front office decision making from the Las Vegas Aces
14053934_web1_WEB-Laimbeer-Aug0520.jpg

The Aces picking up Jackie Young at #1 in 2019 was one of the most horrible decisions ever.....did you guys see how Jackie Young played in the playoffs?? I'll tell you she couldnt even buy a bucket she was a turnover machine lol it was hard to watch......Bill Laimbeer passed on Arike for Jackie Young???....this season Arike lead the WNBA in Points per game and was on the WNBA All-First Team

that was some horrible front office decision making from the Las Vegas Aces
View attachment 319926
It was actually Lindsay Allen that was a turnover machine during the playoffs. Jackie just couldn't hit the side of a barn as usual smh All GM's 1-5 that overlooked Arike look hella stupid though #Facts

Even with Tennessee not in the spotlight anymore it's surprising how little buzz Davis is getting. I have yet to see her name on preseason top players/All-American lists trickling out. I expect that to change as she'll have to carry the team on her back this year...

Even with Tennessee not in the spotlight anymore it's surprising how little buzz Davis is getting. I have yet to see her name on preseason top players/All-American lists trickling out. I expect that to change as she'll have to carry the team on her back this year...
At the G/F spot, I think Rhyne Howard and Michaela Onyenware are probably the pre-season picks for the 1st team AA (with Dana Evans/Aari McDonald, NaLyssa Smith and Aliyah Boston being the likely other 3 members). Davis is in logjam with Christyn Williams, DiDi Richards, Rickea Jackson, and Zia Cooke among others...and whichever surprise breakouts there are (there will be some freshmen or transfers that makes a lot of noise probably). I think she has a shot at WBCA honors, but 1st team is probably going to be a stretch.

But I still think Davis is a lock to get selected in the top 4 of the WNBA draft.

VN Store

Back