Remember when we . . . .

jonnon111

What you see is what you get.
We used to get big commits after tough losses in Butchs first year? We needed some positives in that 5-7 season with a loss to Vandy at home.
That was Hurds recruiting class.

Now when we lose we hear about transfers, injuries and dismissals. The losses are fewer and further between (well 3 in a row is not exactly further in between, but you get the point). However they seem to hurt worse.

I'm kind of rambling and intended this to be a sort of gallows humor, but we used to lose a lot and so our off the field talk was more positive. Now we don't lose a lot and focus on what doesn't work well enough. Does Volnation balance out the Mojo? :birgits_giggle:

A few years ago I would have given my pinky for a comeback win, he'll any win over UF. We have lost to the two best teams in the west (arguably) and possibly he worst team east of the Mississippi River. So that balances out to a decent average loss if you say it fast enough.

Just try to remember the whole story. We should be better, but we are not. We used to be a whole lot worse, that's for sure. We have better than a zero percent chance of winning the east, cue the Jim Carry gif. Some of us grown men need to act like this is a freaking game and have fun.
Go. Damn. Vols.

The game has changed since 2000 and Tennessee hasn't kept up. Butch has brought us back to speed, but not enough yet. I want to see him finish another year, so I hope they win out, but this fan base got taken for a ride on the hype train and everyone believed it, including the players. Now that it was only that, hype, everyones true character is coming out in terms of quitting on the team, recruits, fans, etc. Honestly it could be what is best for the program, showing that there is no loyalty here its all about performance, the best players play, plain and simple. I would rather have recruits coming in knowing that, vs thinking they will start guaranteed year two, or have the system set up for them. (not bashing any particular player just in general) Program is a long way away from greatness again, but giving up on Butch now is silly. I would like to see how he handles the rest of the year and what the team looks like. Next year we know nothing is guaranteed, and it if he wins the East in convincing fashion it will make for an exciting season and everyone will be happy again. Of course until we lose another game :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person
The game has changed since 2000 and Tennessee hasn't kept up. Butch has brought us back to speed, but not enough yet. I want to see him finish another year, so I hope they win out, but this fan base got taken for a ride on the hype train and everyone believed it, including the players. Now that it was only that, hype, everyones true character is coming out in terms of quitting on the team, recruits, fans, etc. Honestly it could be what is best for the program, showing that there is no loyalty here its all about performance, the best players play, plain and simple. I would rather have recruits coming in knowing that, vs thinking they will start guaranteed year two, or have the system set up for them. (not bashing any particular player just in general) Program is a long way away from greatness again, but giving up on Butch now is silly. I would like to see how he handles the rest of the year and what the team looks like. Next year we know nothing is guaranteed, and it if he wins the East in convincing fashion it will make for an exciting season and everyone will be happy again. Of course until we lose another game :rolleyes:

I agree with much of what you said. I think this is a painful learning year. We have had some good luck, see VT and App St., we have had some bad luck see Kirkland at that VT game and our injury situation in general.

I agree 100% that Butch is going through next year no matter what. I think he should. Next year will be a tough sled no doubt. UF and Bama on the road. LSU late in the season. So he has a proving ground again.

Recruits should know going in to any university PT is earned. I think Butch personally may have some loyalty issues with that, but that is a harsh critique: too much loyalty.

I think he has to win out to not be on the real hotseat, but that would be an absolute meltdown IMO.

Silver lining, maybe we get Cam Akers now?

e3c4711d1a8c3f2aa824b6d20028b397.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with much of what you said. I think this is a painful learning year. We have had some good luck, see VT and App St., we have had some bad luck see Kirkland at that VT game and our injury situation in general.

I agree 100% that Butch is going through next year no matter what. I think he should. Next year will be a tough sled no doubt. UF and Bama on the road. LSU late in the season. So he has a proving ground again.

Recruits should know going in to any university PT is earned. I think Butch personally may have some loyalty issues with that, but that is a harsh critique: too much loyalty.

I think he has to win out to not be on the real hotseat, but that would be an absolute meltdown IMO.

I wouldnt expect recruiting to pick up. As a matter of fact, I would expect the opposite. I expect us to start losing some guys because Tennessee might be showing signs of coaching instability.

Win out? Highly unlikely. With Tuttle and KMac out for the season, it will likely be open season on our rush defense. Which has been bad all year long. Boom Williams and Ralph Webb against our defense? Good Lord, that is scary. I think we lose one of if not both, of Kentucky and Vandy.

If Tennessee comes out flat against TT, Butch should be fired on the spot. But he wont and we will likely go into halftime against an Ohio Vally conference team losing. We will win but it will be ugly just like every other game this year. Mizzou is terrible but I imagine the ssme thing will happen with them.

Getting Cam Akers? Please. We will be lucky to hang on to Ty Chandler at this point.

Hell.... I'm all for brick by brick, I just wish someone would throw some at the next four teams we play!!

We used to get big commits after tough losses in Butchs first year? We needed some positives in that 5-7 season with a loss to Vandy at home.
That was Hurds recruiting class.

Now when we lose we hear about transfers, injuries and dismissals. The losses are fewer and further between (well 3 in a row is not exactly further in between, but you get the point). However they seem to hurt worse.

I'm kind of rambling and intended this to be a sort of gallows humor, but we used to lose a lot and so our off the field talk was more positive. Now we don't lose a lot and focus on what doesn't work well enough. Does Volnation balance out the Mojo? :birgits_giggle:

A few years ago I would have given my pinky for a comeback win, he'll any win over UF. We have lost to the two best teams in the west (arguably) and possibly he worst team east of the Mississippi River. So that balances out to a decent average loss if you say it fast enough.

Just try to remember the whole story. We should be better, but we are not. We used to be a whole lot worse, that's for sure. We have better than a zero percent chance of winning the east, cue the Jim Carry gif. Some of us grown men need to act like this is a freaking game and have fun.
Go. Damn. Vols.

We got a commit yesterday

I agree with the loyalty thing, but honestly that should be done with after this season and to me it makes sense a little bit, even if its frustrating. Josh Dobbs is a good example, but with our o-line it probably doesn't matter. JD won't get benched because he is a senior, from CBJ first recruiting class, that won us some big games with stellar play, brought our program back to relevance a little bit, and he is hands down the best representative we could ask for, for our university and football team. I honestly want to buy his jersey, based on his character alone. Im crossing my fingers the rest of this year. Next year it's all or nothing for CBJ. GO VOLS :rock:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back