Remember Tennessee's 1998 National Championship?

I was 25 and had already been a UT graduate for 2 years. The only home games I missed were Arkansas and UAB. I also went to Athens for our beat down of the Dawgs. I wouldn't say I remember it like it was yesterday... but I do remember that time very well.

I do...I remember it well, as I'm sure a lot of other people do as well...You don't have to be that old to remember.

I was 3 years old when Georgia won their only national championship...I don't remember that crap because it was so long ago.

I’m not sure if you’re being nice or if this is some sort of troll job to point out how long it’s been.
Yes I remember it well. I was 16 years old.

I’m not sure if you’re being nice or if this is some sort of troll job to point out how long it’s been.
Yes I remember it well. I was 16 years old.
I'm really feeling spicy towards Georgia today...Just reminding them that they've never really done that much, and without the greatness of Herschel Walker, they'd still be looking for that 1st natty.

But it's not trolling, I also remember Tennessee's national championship well, because it wasn't 40 friggin' years ago.

I'm really feeling spicy towards Georgia today...Just reminding them that they've never really done that much, and without the greatness of Herschel Walker, they'd still be looking for that 1st natty.

But it's not trolling, I also remember Tennessee's national championship well, because it wasn't 40 friggin' years ago.
In that case....
3277A5F0-1CB2-4C32-B640-8F268C7794CC.gif

I was 9. Didn’t even know about it. I just knew football was something that made my dad yell at the tv. I was probably in my room playing with Barbies

Reactions: VolNExile
I was 25 and had already been a UT graduate for 2 years. The only home games I missed were Arkansas and UAB. I also went to Athens for our beat down of the Dawgs. I wouldn't say I remember it like it was yesterday... but I do remember that time very well.
Arkansas was the only one I was able to get to.

Arkansas was the only one I was able to get to.
I had the flu that day and gave my tickets away. I even turned away from the game after Tee Martin's pass to Peerless Price fell incomplete on 4th down. I was living in an apartment complex in west Knox at the time with thin walls, and you could hear everything from next door. I reached my bath room and heard my neighbors screaming and cheering and assumed something crazy (and good) must have occurred ... when I went back to the game, we had the ball. I missed the "Stoerner Stumble" as it happened.

I had the flu that day and gave my tickets away. I even turned away from the game after Tee Martin's pass to Peerless Price fell incomplete on 4th down. I was living in an apartment complex in west Knox at the time with thin walls, and you could hear everything from next door. I reached my bath room and heard my neighbors screaming and cheering and assumed something crazy (and good) must have occurred ... when I went back to the game, we had the ball. I missed the "Stoerner Stumble" as it happened.
I remember being stuck in a wreck on I 40 headed to the game and a friend of mine getting out of the car in the rain (he needed 2 tixs) to check with a guy that had a sign up in his window several cars back.

My dad and brother had left the stadium when Stoerner fumbled. They were well up the road from the stadium when the heard the crowd. They stopped and listened at a KPD car that had it on to catch the finish.

Wild nite.

I do...I remember it well, as I'm sure a lot of other people do as well...You don't have to be that old to remember.

I was 3 years old when Georgia won their only national championship...I don't remember that crap because it was so long ago.
Georgia Tech has a more recent title than Georgia does.

Georgia Tech has a more recent title than Georgia does.
Hey I also remember Georgia Tech's national title! (Even though the had to split it with Colorado...Who has also won a National Championship more recently than Georgia.)

BYU I believe has won an undisputed National Championship since Georgia won theirs.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Hey I also remember Georgia Tech's national title! (Even though the had to split it with Colorado...Who has also won a National Championship more recently than Georgia.)

BYU I believe has won an undisputed National Championship since Georgia won theirs.
And Clemson has won 3 since Georgia won their last one. 1981, 2016, 2018.

Since 1980, Georgia really could have won about 5 more titles. 1981, 1982, 2002 (only loss was to a Ron Zook-coached unranked Florida team), 2008 (by far Richt's most disappointing/underachieving team), 2017.

I remember being stuck in a wreck on I 40 headed to the game and a friend of mine getting out of the car in the rain (he needed 2 tixs) to check with a guy that had a sign up in his window several cars back.

My dad and brother had left the stadium when Stoerner fumbled. They were well up the road from the stadium when the heard the crowd. They stopped and listened at a KPD car that had it on to catch the finish.

Wild nite.
I was a student at the time and that was actually the first time I drew tickets in the upper deck but it was like row 5 around the 40 so the seats were awesome. It was cold and raining the whole time, we had just gone to number 1 that week, and we were on the verge of blowing it. I was actually closer to leaving in the first half than I was at the end. It never crossed my mind then. I was too mad. But had we gone down 28-3 I would’ve left that cold rain to go watch us lose back in the apartment. I swear that when Stoerner fumbled I thought the upper deck was coming down. I know many look to the Florida game that year as the game of the year but you don’t see very many matchups of undefeated teams in November and even fewer that include a comeback from 18 points down plus a miracle play close to the end. I’ll never see a game like that in person again, not with that much on the line.

I was a teenager, and I remember it very well. I've watched every game from that season, probably 100+ times, except for the Houston and UAB games because they were on PPV, and I didn't order them. But I recorded all the other games on VHS, and the tapes are still at my parents' house.

I definitely remember and won't tell you how old I was then. It's going to be a few more years before Vols are competitive again. When will we see 8 or more wins? I don't see it in next 3 years. Need a coach that can recruit 3-5 star recruits!

I remember. I didn’t watch many games that year because I raced go karts every Saturday but we always listened to the games on the radio on the drive home and people almost always had them on at the track. I remember thinking UT was really going to have their work cut out for them playing FSU because they were so good at that time. But at least to me once the game started it was pretty obvious who was going to win.

I was 19 it was a glorious season in retrospect if I had of known then what I know now I would’ve enjoyed it more . At the time I assumed back then every season we would win 11 to 12 games and be in the national title hunt every season along with being one of the top two teams in the SEC. If somebody had told me in 98 or 99 that it’s 20 plus years later and the Vols haven’t won a SEC title since or been to a big time bowl game again I would’ve called you crazy. I never thought it would ever get this bad for UT football.

There are players who were Seniors on the UGA national championship team that will reach Medicare eligibility in a little over 3 years.

I don't specifically remember it, I was five, but I do remember the hype surrounding the program and how Tennessee just absolutely was on top of the world.

There are players who were Seniors on the UGA national championship team that will reach Medicare eligibility in a little over 3 years.
There are a number of players on that Georgia national championship team that are almost certainly grandfathers and even in a few cases of "early family starting" or "late exit", so to speak, possibly a few great-grandfathers.

I call my great-grandfather "paw paw"...Let that sink in...There might be a UGA national championship winning football player that someone calls "paw paw".

I remember it well. I went to all of the home games except the Houston blowout and the South Carolina and Georgia road games.

The Florida and Arkansas games were great, and beating Alabama was the BEST.

VN Store

Back