Remember how bad Sal Sunseri was

He will be okay coaching the d-line. I wouldn't let him have a defensive coordinator position to save my life. That was the worst defense in the history of Tennessee. I remember being pumped about the 3-4 conversion and knowing it would take some time. Never would have happened under Sal Sunsuckass.

You guys act like the dude was here for years........He came in and took a team that had been a base 4-3 for decades and tried to go directly to a 3-4. It takes time to recruit over guys and teach a system like that unless you've already been recruiting for a multiple-type defense. Not saying he was a great or even good DC. My point is it's a bit of an overaction based on the context and timeframe of his tenure here.

The misalignments were numerous and had nothing to do with a 3-4 defense. Florida ran a basic unbalanced line sweep play to the strong side for 80yds untouched. Then later they ran it to the other side and untouched again. Opponents outschemed him all yr. And he’s never sniffed a DC job since.

The misalignments were numerous and had nothing to do with a 3-4 defense. Florida ran a basic unbalanced line sweep play to the strong side for 80yds untouched. Then later they ran it to the other side and untouched again. Opponents outschemed him all yr. And he’s never sniffed a DC job since.
when learning a new defense players tend to mess up.. so yes it had a lot to do with switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. No one is saying he is a good DC I am saying people overplay the whole thing. There was a whole lot of trainwreck going on with the program during that time and no one came out looking good.

when learning a new defense players tend to mess up.. so yes it had a lot to do with switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. No one is saying he is a good DC I am saying people overplay the whole thing. There was a whole lot of trainwreck going on with the program during that time and no one came out looking good.

Just the fact the defensive staff didn’t adjust & UF knew this would be the alignment most likely showed SS wasn’t a DC. Players later in the season realized SS didn’t know what he was doing & they checked out. Troy for heavens sake had over 750 yds offense

Just the fact the defensive staff didn’t adjust & UF knew this would be the alignment most likely showed SS wasn’t a DC. Players later in the season realized SS didn’t know what he was doing & they checked out. Troy for heavens sake had over 750 yds offense
Of all the messed up crap that happened during that administration's tenure Sal Sunseri's defense is not even in the top 10 worst probably not top 20. Everything was a mess and players on both sides of the ball checked out, literally. It was a full-on mess from the University President down to the people selling media guides. Why is this even a thread its in the past it was one year and its over.

Comparing anyone on this current staff to anyone from back then is insane. Banks and Martinez are fine. Last years defense was mostly down to injuries and the offensive scheme.. talent on the defensive side of the ball is catching up to the Offensive side and as they get their guys into the system it will only improve. I don't think we will ever have (on paper) a great defense while we run this offensive scheme it just does not work out that way, they see too many snaps. The more snaps a defense takes the more chances for mistakes to happen the more yards they are going to give up and even more importantly more tape for opposing coaches to break down. Having healthy guys and more talent will help a lot but even if this team went 15-0 and won a natty they'd have a few games where they give up 30-40+ its the nature of it all. That being said the new rule changes will actually help our defense more than it hurts our offense.

Reactions: Sarms58
Several things were working against Sal. Transitioning defense from 4-3 to 3-4. Depleted roster and not the personnel for the switch. Dooley as head coach.

Reactions: pimo1
I remember the 2012 Troy game. UT couldn't get a stop. A Tyler Bray led offense had to outscore Troy 55-48 to win.

Reactions: VolsSince78
“It’s just like anything else….”

He said that every interview. Was super annoying.

The Sunseri situation was different. Dooley was broken by the end of year 2. He was grasping for straws and thought maybe following Bama's 3-4 move would save him. It was the "rage" at the time. Sunseri was a terrible choice to lead that change. But if he had been the ideal choice... UT simply didn't have the players on the roster to do it.

Just a completely screwed up situation caused by a coach who had apparently already asked UT how they could mutually part ways.
Pretty much. We didn’t have the proper players to implement the system. Sal also completely sucked as well as a DC in every sense. Never seen a defense where the opponent could pass or run on you at will.

Reactions: sjt18
You can blast Prime all you want to, but he’s a competitive SOB, well spoken, excellent salesman, marketing genius , and finds a way to win.
will he pan out? Idk. But those thinking he’s a joke are wrong. Colorado, based on their history, rolled the dice and for their level this is totally worth the gamble. The upside is HUGE, and the downside isn’t ANY worse than they’ve been. Anyone saying otherwise is a Prime Time Hater.
And folks I wasn’t even a big Deion fan! But this is a very smart hire.

Reactions: Sarms58
Is this something that fans get excited about? Obviously if Colorado has made up posters like this they do. I'll admit I'm a more casual fan than most - I couldn't tell you who the position coaches were at the teams I followed.

The better defensive performances outweigh that outlier. The SC loss did suck though. We also don’t win the Pitt game without the defense. Offense struggled that day and almost cost us the game.
gave up 500 yards to Anthony Richardson and a horrible Florida offense

VN Store

Back