Remarkable for BAMA football..... very sad state for UT

SNAFU

After assuming the #1 ranking this week, Bama has been ranked #1 for at least a week for the past 13 seasons. Meanwhile, Tennessee hasn't finished a season ranked in the AP top 10 since 2001. That loss to LSU in the SEC championship game started the ascension of Nick Saban in the SEC and sent UT into a downward spiral that is now nearing 20 years.

If your definition of sadness is not being ranked #1 in the past 15 years then there are about a 100 teams that should be sad.
I would like to start at being consistently ranked in the top 10 at the end of the season. That's where my sadness for this program begins. But at least I have the Steelers.

After assuming the #1 ranking this week, Bama has been ranked #1 for at least a week for the past 13 seasons. Meanwhile, Tennessee hasn't finished a season ranked in the AP top 10 since 2001. That loss to LSU in the SEC championship game started the ascension of Nick Saban in the SEC and sent UT into a downward spiral that is now nearing 20 years.
Absolutely Fulmer should've been let go after the 05 season to smh

If your definition of sadness is not being ranked #1 in the past 15 years then there are about a 100 teams that should be sad.
Yea but there’s not 100 other schools with the same rich traditions we have not are they one of the Top 10 programs of all times in Wins. Some of us actually expect more out of Tennessee than what we are getting. Some of us know where we was at in 1998 when we beat Florida State for the Natty. So expecting us to be in the Top 10 every year is not crazy for some of us.

Absolutely Fulmer should've been let go after the 05 season to smh
Or better yet don’t let him go unless you have a replacement. When you let go of a hall of fame coach you better have a better backup plan than hiring a coach that had no experience in college then follow that up with a guy that was a career looser and only won 8 games 1 time as a coach in college and had losing record prior to Tennessee.

I often think that day marked the start of UT's death spiral.
The 1972 loss to Bama was another personal watershed.

It's simple, they dominate in recruiting. They get whoever they need. They make mistakes like everyone else otherwise they would be 3 deep with quality players at every position. The recruiting rankings don't come close because they actually have the luxury of filling positions of need continually, where the rest of us just go for best player available. They get the players they want then the rest of the teams fight over whoever is left.

Reactions: marvin616
It's simple, they dominate in recruiting. They get whoever they need. They make mistakes like everyone else otherwise they would be 3 deep with quality players at every position. The recruiting rankings don't come close because they actually have the luxury of filling positions of need continually, where the rest of us just go for best player available. They get the players they want then the rest of the teams fight over whoever is left.
Recuiting dominance follows winning it doesn't preceed it. Alabama and Clemson were not tops in recuiting before they started winning. Winning does the recuiting. Alabama will be elite in recuiting until they stop winning or Nick leaves. It will get harder as Nick ages. "Saban is gonna retire while you're at Alabama" will be whispered to all their recuits.

The sadness part isn’t not being ranked #1 but being totally irrelevant in college football for almost 20 yrs, to the point our major rivals ( Alabama, Florida) don’t consider Tennessee a rival much anymore.

I looked it up and, based on the AP poll, these are the SEC teams who have been ranked #1 in the last 15 years.

LSU
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Auburn
Mississippi State
Missouri (while in the Big XII)

Biggest loss in Tennessee Football history
I remember those early years of the SEC championship game in which one team was heavily favored and heavily flagged the first half so the game would be close at halftime, then the refs would flag the other team in the second half. We thought we had them when we hit Davey out of bounds and knocked him out of the game, but we got Mauck which was a totally different style QB. We still almost won, but Stallworth had a cast on his hand and tried to get extra yards on a toss across the middle and of course fumbled. We were going to play for another Natty. We became the first team to lose the SEC while on our way to winning a Natty, thus actually hurting the conference.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Uh...I don’t think that is anywhere close to what he was saying.

Yea but there’s not 100 other schools with the same rich traditions we have not are they one of the Top 10 programs of all times in Wins. Some of us actually expect more out of Tennessee than what we are getting. Some of us know where we was at in 1998 when we beat Florida State for the Natty. So expecting us to be in the Top 10 every year is not crazy for some of us.

Is this true? I thought we were 13th behind Yale, Harvard and Penn.

Recuiting dominance follows winning it doesn't preceed it. Alabama and Clemson were not tops in recuiting before they started winning. Winning does the recuiting.

That's not entirely true. Saban brought in a top 3 class in '08 following a 7-6 season that featured a loss to ULM.

VN Store

Back