Reggie White was dominant

In Reggie's first eight seasons with the eagles he played in 121 games and had 124 sacks. I was fortunate enough to meet him at one of his daughters AAU basketball games and he invited me to sit with him and his wife and we just talked through that game and most of my daughter's game also. He was very interesting to talk to and very gracious. We discussed our faith, our times at UT, girls basketball and of course Tennessee football. Reggie thought is was funny when I told him that when I was at Tennessee, Phil Fulmer was playing there. Great memory of a great man.

pretty sure one of those first 5 years was a strike year and his numbers would have been higher. If he hadn’t gone to the usfl to start his career he would hold the all-time sack record in the nfl no doubt. Also the nfc East at that time with the giants, skins, and to a much lesser extent until the early 90s the cowboys was absolutely loaded and doing what he did to those teams with great o-lines makes his accomplishments so much more special.

He really came into his own his JR & SR season at UT. After that it was game on.

A lot of top NCAA talent went to the USFL in the early 80s. Reggie played 2 seasons for the Memphis Showboats before going to the NFL. I think he had over 20 sacks his first 2 seasons there. What a player and person.

He could absolutely take over a game. He could single handedly shut down an offense even with all their blocking schemes geared to control him!

Reactions: rbjnet
pretty sure one of those first 5 years was a strike year and his numbers would have been higher. If he hadn’t gone to the usfl to start his career he would hold the all-time sack record in the nfl no doubt. Also the nfc East at that time with the giants, skins, and to a much lesser extent until the early 90s the cowboys was absolutely loaded and doing what he did to those teams with great o-lines makes his accomplishments so much more special.

The strike was in '87. He had 21 sacks in 12 games that season! That would be 28 sacks in a 16 game season. Wow!

Who was better Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White? I still can’t believe Reggie has been gone 16 years now nearly he died way too young one of the best Vol players ever.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Who was better Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White? I still can’t believe Reggie has been gone 16 years now nearly he died way too young one of the best Vol players ever.

Reggie led a God centered life, and was a down lineman. LT led a drug centered life and was a linebacker. Should be able to make the decision, as to which of them was the better an easy choice.

My thought too!! As I read the first post and on to yours. I was thinking "could you imagine Doug on one side and Reggie on the other"? LORD help the QB., because the OL couldn't.

Could you imagine a front 4 with Atkins & White on the ends and Haynesworth & Henderson in the middle?

Reactions: savannahfan
I had no idea he had the most sacks of any player in their first five years in the league. These are some dominant players on this list and he's 20 sacks ahead of Richard Dent at No. 5. Crazy.

At a time when everyone threw the ball less than today and with many of his snaps coming from the interior where it’s harder to get sacks

Reactions: rbjnet and Freak
Reggie White was Dominant

In other news...

Water is wet
I guess as time has passed I’d forgotten just how much of a force he was at getting to the quarterback. It’s amazing just how much better his sack numbers are compared to the other best pass rushers of all time.

I looked at his career numbers and while he’s two sacks behind Bruce Smith for the for the most all time, those numbers basically tell the same sorry. Not just that he was dominant, but just how impressive his sack numbers are compared to the other elite pass rushers of all time. It’s crazy.

VN Store

Back