Reggie Crawford

I hear ya, but:

From CBS/MLB - CBSSPORTS.Com, 7/11/21, article by R.J. Anderson:

"Every first-round pick in the past two classes has signed. You have to go back to 2018, Stewart's class, to find examples of players who didn't sign. Coincidentally, two of the unsigned players from that year, Matt McLain and Gunnar Hoglund, are likely to come off the board this first round as well.

Over the past five drafts, there've been only three players who didn't sign after being selected in the top 30 of their class. In other words, when a player is selected on Sunday, take it as a nod that they're going to turn professional."

Kumar Rocker says he loves accurate journalism.

The Giants signed their first round pick in 21 .... for under slot value AND he was their 9th signee of the class at that time.
In total, they drafted and signed 13 pitchers in 21 . Their first 9 picks were all pitchers.
I thought the 21 color was interesting enough to post .... assuming it shows how they go about business ... from a historical perspective.

Since, Reggie has not yet signed ... and because I am the curious sort ....
In total, SF drafted 11 pitchers in 22 . Their first 6 picks were all pitchers.
Every report indicates SF is definitely being tight with the $$$$.
I will be google eyed if we see Crawford get more than his slot value. (Uniformed opinion - NO informational basis) But I did read that the Giants appeared to agree to his number on draft day.
Assuming OldTimer (also known as Mr. Optimistic from time to time) is accurate about Reggie wanting a big number (I am interpreting that as ABOVE slot value) ... I think the odds are slightly in favor of him suiting up for Tennessee. College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

The Giants signed their first round pick in 21 .... for under slot value AND he was their 9th signee of the class at that time.
In total, they drafted and signed 13 pitchers in 21 . Their first 9 picks were all pitchers.
I thought the 21 color was interesting enough to post .... assuming it shows how they go about business ... from a historical perspective.

I will be google eyed if we see Crawford get more than his slot value. (Uniformed opinion - NO informational basis) But I did read that the Giants appeared to agree to his number on draft day.
Assuming OldTimer (also known as Mr. Optimistic from time to time) is accurate about Reggie wanting a big number (I am interpreting that as ABOVE slot value) ... I think the odds are slightly in favor of him suiting up for Tennessee. College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

1658964460427.gif

I assumed as well that they agreed to a number before drafting him. But that begs the question….why hasn’t he signed yet?

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

good call!!

I am floored he accepted underslot. Damn. He left potentially 3-4 million on the table if he had come back and had a great year in college. Again, I guess there is something to taking the known quantity over the unknown, but that is just crazy he was okay with takin under the slot value with his talent.

wow, that's a shocker to me, under slot. I'll be anxious to follow his career, and I still think he could have doubled his money, if not more, in next years draft.
Unless his arm is a concern. That's a good deal if he's not sure his arm can hold. Throw a bit to put the team at ease and let them under slot but put back a couple mil anyway. Why risk coming back to college and risking another set back? Nah, he did the smart thing under the circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I am floored he accepted underslot. Damn. He left potentially 3-4 million on the table if he had come back and had a great year in college. Again, I guess there is something to taking the known quantity over the unknown, but that is just crazy he was okay with takin under the slot value with his talent.
Under slot, and taking the money should neither come as a surprise. He is coming off of Tommy John, he has very few innings pitched, and he was projected as a late 2nd-3rd rounder.

If he balks at the offer, he has to come to Tennessee and make good on the promise in the best conference in the country. He also has to stay healthy. Either of those things fail to materialize, he loses the mystique surrounding his talent/potential, and he loses any bargaining power without the option to return to school.

Think of a similar parallel to Shaedon Sharpe, Kentucky, and the NBA draft.

Under slot, and taking the money should neither come as a surprise. He is coming off of Tommy John, he has very few innings pitched, and he was projected as a late 2nd-3rd rounder.

If he balks at the offer, he has to come to Tennessee and make good on the promise in the best conference in the country. He also has to stay healthy. Either of those things fail to materialize, he loses the mystique surrounding his talent/potential, and he loses any bargaining power without the option to return to school.

Think of a similar parallel to Shaedon Sharpe, Kentucky, and the NBA draft.
There's the other side of the coin too, and it also supports him taking this deal now. Here's why:. If he's successful and reaches the majors quickly and becomes a highly sought free agent in 6 years from then, his reward will be a 30 or 40 million per year contract. Why delay that payday to spend a year in college if the maximum potential gain is a mere 6 million increase in signing bonus?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back