Reggie Crawford

strikervol

He announced he was transferring to the Vols next season but gets drafted 30th in the first round by the Giants. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He gone…Congrats to him
Maybe, but maybe not. He is being drafted as a pitcher and he had Tommy John surgery last year. One never knows if he will be able to pitch or not. However, if he wants the $2-3 million he will get at and he might jump for it . That would give him a little nest egg to plan for the future.

Reactions: feathersax
Maybe, but maybe not. He is being drafted as a pitcher and he had Tommy John surgery last year. One never knows if he will be able to pitch or not. However, if he wants the $2-3 million he will get at and he might jump for it . That would give him a little nest egg to plan for the future.
98-99% of first round picks end up signing. I would not count on Crawford ever playing a game for UT.

98-99% of first round picks end up signing. I would not count on Crawford ever playing a game for UT.
This is a little different situation than 98-99% of other first rounders. There are several layers involved here that most, if not all, people on here are not knowledgeable about. It seems he will go on to sign, but there was some specific reason, unknown to us, why Crawford would announce his transfer publicly to Tennessee several days before the draft.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
This is a little different situation than 98-99% of other first rounders. There are several layers involved here that most, if not all, people on here are not knowledgeable about. It seems he will go on to sign, but there was some specific reason, unknown to us, why Crawford would announce his transfer publicly to Tennessee several days before the draft.
He’s probably just using his UT commitment as leverage for a better deal with SF.

I agree that Reggie will probably sign and you are correct in saying he's a little different than most 1st rounders. First, he's basically a Sophomore so he if he stays he would have leverage next year too. Second, most 1st round pics have hit their ceiling in terms of slot value. Reggie has the potential to be a top 5 type pick, thats $4, $5 or even $6 million upgrade from where he's drafted now. If San Fran doesn't over pay for his slot, then there is a chance he might come back. He's not taking $2.49, they will need to pay in the $3's for him to sign........in my opinion.

I agree that Reggie will probably sign and you are correct in saying he's a little different than most 1st rounders. First, he's basically a Sophomore so he if he stays he would have leverage next year too. Second, most 1st round pics have hit their ceiling in terms of slot value. Reggie has the potential to be a top 5 type pick, thats $4, $5 or even $6 million upgrade from where he's drafted now. If San Fran doesn't over pay for his slot, then there is a chance he might come back. He's not taking $2.49, they will need to pay in the $3's for him to sign........in my opinion.
Yes, SF will almost certainly try to use his injury to sign him for under slot money. Will Reggie bite or bet on himself by going to Tennessee?

16B5FD99-2D44-4183-BEF7-03DDC73A9ED3.jpeg

Layers like onions, or parfait?

4c901ccfa18897cdae92644808c49be9.gif

Reactions: chuckiepoo

OT, wouldn't you think that deal has already been made? Why would the Giants spend their only first round draft pick on a 'maybe?'

OT, wouldn't you think that deal has already been made? Why would the Giants spend their only first round draft pick on a 'maybe?'

Seems like there is a lot of manipulation that is possible with a player going where they want. Seems like if he wanted to go to the Giants he could easily tell any of the teams, no, not interested, I’ll go to Tennessee.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Why draft Kumar Rocker at 11 last year with his medical? Why draft Fabian at 41, which is basically the first round, when the value is so similar? High picks reject offers all the time.

Seems like there is a lot of manipulation that is possible with a player going where they want. Seems like if he wanted to go to the Giants he could easily tell any of the teams, no, not interested, I’ll go to Tennessee.

I believe from everything I've read over the years that any team interested in a particular player contact him and start negotiating prior to the draft. A player might negotiate with more than one team. By the time the draft comes, they have agreements with multiple players as to how much they will be willing to pay, and the player for how much he is willing to acccept for a multiple of draft slot scenarios. So, for the first round especially, all these agreements are in place prior to the draft. That's why I am septical that Crawford will turn down the team that drafted him and come to UT.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Why draft Kumar Rocker at 11 last year with his medical? Why draft Fabian at 41, which is basically the first round, when the value is so similar? High picks reject offers all the time.

First round money isn't turned down very ofter, from my memory (which is poor, admittedly). In fact, I think it's rare. Any agreement can go awry, as did Rocker's last year, but I believe that was an outlier. And 41 is not the first round. The issue here is that Crawford was drafted late in the first round by a very successful organization. I maintain it's a 95% probability they wouldn't have done that without an approval/agreement for the money they offered by Crawford. To your point, there is that other 5% chance, but.............

First round money isn't turned down very ofter, from my memory (which is poor, admittedly). In fact, I think it's rare. Any agreement can go awry, as did Rocker's last year, but I believe that was an outlier. And 41 is not the first round. The issue here is that Crawford was drafted late in the first round by a very successful organization. I maintain it's a 95% probability they wouldn't have done that without an approval/agreement for the money they offered by Crawford. To your point, there is that other 5% chance, but.............

I know that. I’m saying in value pick #30 and #41 aren’t that drastically different. #30 is $2.5 million and pick #41 is right around $2 million. To OT’s point, his value can be a lot higher if he bets on himself, but that’s a very low probability. My whole point is it’s just not that crazy for high picks to reject money. It happens more often than people think.

I hear ya, but:

From CBS/MLB - CBSSPORTS.Com, 7/11/21, article by R.J. Anderson:

"Every first-round pick in the past two classes has signed. You have to go back to 2018, Stewart's class, to find examples of players who didn't sign. Coincidentally, two of the unsigned players from that year, Matt McLain and Gunnar Hoglund, are likely to come off the board this first round as well.

Over the past five drafts, there've been only three players who didn't sign after being selected in the top 30 of their class. In other words, when a player is selected on Sunday, take it as a nod that they're going to turn professional."

I know that. I’m saying in value pick #30 and #41 aren’t that drastically different. #30 is $2.5 million and pick #41 is right around $2 million. To OT’s point, his value can be a lot higher if he bets on himself, but that’s a very low probability. My whole point is it’s just not that crazy for high picks to reject money. It happens more often than people think.

Edit: I was mistaken about the following, wrong Crawford

One note is that since Reggie is the son of Carl Crawford, whose estimated career earnings are $171,482,419 according to spotrac, cash considerations may not be as critical in this case.

Carl Crawford

Last edited:

VN Store

Back