Redshirt walk-on and more

Will be interesting to see if we can only have 34. If pence was on scholarship he counts as one of the 35

From what I’ve heard Pence wasn’t on scholarship. The reason for the high number of freshmen redshirts is that we basically signed two classes this past year. Serrano’s recruits and also Vitello’s recruits. Coach V could have told the previous Serrano recruits to hit the road but gave them the opportunity to come and compete if they wanted to. Looks like a few saw the writing on the wall and didn’t return this semester. Not sure why the others didn’t transfer. I think that would have been the better plan but I am also not sure what they were told by the staff when they left for Christmas break. Since they started spring semester the best thing they can do is go juco next year which means playing somewhere in spring of 2020. If they transfer to a D1 program they will have to sit out 2020 and not be able to play until 2021. I may be wrong but that is what I understand. The upperclassmen that are being redshirted are really in a tough spot and may have some tough decisions coming up soon about their playing future. College baseball is tough!

Reactions: RollerVol
From what I’ve heard Pence wasn’t on scholarship. The reason for the high number of freshmen redshirts is that we basically signed two classes this past year. Serrano’s recruits and also Vitello’s recruits. Coach V could have told the previous Serrano recruits to hit the road but gave them the opportunity to come and compete if they wanted to. Looks like a few saw the writing on the wall and didn’t return this semester. Not sure why the others didn’t transfer. I think that would have been the better plan but I am also not sure what they were told by the staff when they left for Christmas break. Since they started spring semester the best thing they can do is go juco next year which means playing somewhere in spring of 2020. If they transfer to a D1 program they will have to sit out 2020 and not be able to play until 2021. I may be wrong but that is what I understand. The upperclassmen that are being redshirted are really in a tough spot and may have some tough decisions coming up soon about their playing future. College baseball is tough!

Interesting on pence

Numbers are going to be like this every year under tv. It isn't just because of two classes as you say

Hopefully kids wise up and see where they fall and if they aren't on the 35 for their best interest they need to move on imo

It will take some time for the kids and parents to be able to understand what they see and not what they hear from the staff. I don't think these kids would be staying if they were being told they may not be on the 35. Slippery slope for this staff in future recruiting, if that's the case.

I’m sure the kids can count how many of them are at practice and know how many are allowed on a roster. They know what they’re getting themselves into. If we can put the pieces together, I’m sure the kids whose actual lives are impacted can.

It will take some time for the kids and parents to be able to understand what they see and not what they hear from the staff. I don't think these kids would be staying if they were being told they may not be on the 35. Slippery slope for this staff in future recruiting, if that's the case.
I can promise you these kids knew exactly where they stood. Some of the kids that are redshirting the staff hasn’t written off either. They can work on the side and more importantly they can hit the weight room and get stronger.

yes, however when you’re recruiting 15 year olds some just don’t pan out.....

And it doesn't really matter when you recruit knowing you have to cull almost half of every class anyway. No real pressure to be correct in evaluating players that way

Unfortunately for the players, the teams like Vandy, Arkansas, MS State and others that have recruited like this are the ones that have been successful. As you said, over sign and then get rid of the ones that don’t work out. Look at any successful Juco program and you will see a lot of kids that went to a D1 program first. The four year “guaranteed” scholarship deal they came up with a couple of years ago is a joke and isn’t working.

Unfortunately for the players, the teams like Vandy, Arkansas, MS State and others that have recruited like this are the ones that have been successful. As you said, over sign and then get rid of the ones that don’t work out. Look at any successful Juco program and you will see a lot of kids that went to a D1 program first. The four year “guaranteed” scholarship deal they came up with a couple of years ago is a joke and isn’t working.

Vandy hasn't recruited "this way" but they damn sure have an advantage for other reasons

I would think the easy work around is to give everybody a jersey number whether they wear it or not. Is there a rule against that?

VN Store

Back