Recruiting

preacherman20

Just a reminder. I had a Vol Recruit's dad, guy who could really help program, talk to me. He was asking about UT, coaching staff, facilities, and son's experience. But then he asked the big question and I know this has been said on here before but I will say it again. He asked, "Are all the UT fans as negative as the ones on VolNation?" I remember thinking the same thing when my son was being recruited by Vitello. It is amazing that the coaches tell the players to stay off of here and all the dads of players except maybe me stay off of here because of the negativism. This is the best team in recent history and they are #4 in the nation and I think moving up. Yet, when I read yesterday's thread some of you drive by's and regulars were bashing players and coaches hard UNTIL one swing of the bat. Until then some were saying our pitchers are horrible, our fielders can't catch, and our hitters can't hit. Most guys would love to have their team in the top 5 in the nation at any point. Just remember you are a part of the recruiting process. I understand being honest when my son or any other player makes mistakes or throws bad pitches but to bash your (if you are on here you should be a UT fan) players and coaches is just wrong. Say all you want about Vandy, Arkansas, and on and on but don't bash our team. I kinda understood when my son was being recruited 5 years ago because we were pretty bad but not now. Be a part of the recruiting process that gets the best guys here. Go VOLS!

Just a reminder. I had a Vol Recruit's dad, guy who could really help program, talk to me. He was asking about UT, coaching staff, facilities, and son's experience. But then he asked the big question and I know this has been said on here before but I will say it again. He asked, "Are all the UT fans as negative as the ones on VolNation?" I remember thinking the same thing when my son was being recruited by Vitello. It is amazing that the coaches tell the players to stay off of here and all the dads of players except maybe me stay off of here because of the negativism. This is the best team in recent history and they are #4 in the nation and I think moving up. Yet, when I read yesterday's thread some of you drive by's and regulars were bashing players and coaches hard UNTIL one swing of the bat. Until then some were saying our pitchers are horrible, our fielders can't catch, and our hitters can't hit. Most guys would love to have their team in the top 5 in the nation at any point. Just remember you are a part of the recruiting process. I understand being honest when my son or any other player makes mistakes or throws bad pitches but to bash your (if you are on here you should be a UT fan) players and coaches is just wrong. Say all you want about Vandy, Arkansas, and on and on but don't bash our team. I kinda understood when my son was being recruited 5 years ago because we were pretty bad but not now. Be a part of the recruiting process that gets the best guys here. Go VOLS!
Though I do agree to an extent, the kids have to realize there will be "those" type of fans everywhere. Whether it is school, work, or friends, life will always have those "glass half empty" type people, just learn to filter through it. With that said, what is said on a message board should have very little or no bearing on what college a kid decides to choose. There are radicals in most every fan base and some who just post to be negative, but have no affiliation with that school at all. It's an unfortunate process that will always be around in some form, just hope he/she chooses to align theirself with people that are a positive influence.
Go Vols!!

I’m starting to think most are not TN fans, we simply have a forum that gives them an opportunity to bash our school and players. If they are TN fans then I know they never competed at anything. Some are just clueless.

Unfortunately, the ones you are targeting are too narcissistic to understand that others outside of their little worlds and little minds are effected by their venom to fathom the merit of your statement.

My question is "why pay attention to them".
I will read a lot of negative posts but to "pay attention" to them, not so much. A few, when properly presented are worth examination and discussion. Most are not. If we never see what some people say that is negative, then we wouldn't have much of a website. When everything is hunky dory, and going great guns, there are still things to be less than thrilled about. Much like a pro golfer who is leading a tourney but still goes to the practice range after a great round knowing there is still something that need attention.

Reactions: vol66 and txbo
@savannahfan brings light to truth here.

there will always be the negative but don't dwell on the glass half empty crowd or those that were never served a glass to begin with.

keep working to get better and improve oneself and don't dwell in, on or around the negative.

Reactions: savannahfan
Guess I would have suggested he disregard the faceless internet “fans” and asked what he thought of the fans in Lindsey Nelson.

Reactions: ButchPlz
A good antidote would be meeting fans at the actual game, rather than the ’fans’ who have recently jumped on the bandwagon and proceed to throw barbs.

The internet is just as accurate about real life as the Kardashians are

Very few of the negative fans have gone to a single class on the Hill.
Very few of the fans have sat through stunning midweek losses in the cold while ranked in top 5.
Very few of the negatives have ever held a position of authority in their jobs, their family or their church
They speak without knowledge, experience, or concepts

Why we feed the trolls on a forum is beyond belief

This is just my opinion. Negativity and adversity are just part of life. It comes along with the expectations in any job, but especially those in the public eye. I believe the "negavols" label is a bit overplayed. I am not ok with deragotory comments, threatening of lives, but I believe its not a true reflection of Vols fans....just a few bad apples that every college fan base has. If these athletes have professional aspirations, they will face negativity on a much more grand scale with professional sports. If they are too sensitive to take it from college fans, then I question how they will respond at the next level. They won't be able to avoid "negative" talk from fans, local media, the national talking heads shows that fill time on the sports networks from 9am to 5pm during the day. Again, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: txbo
A parent of a player or potential player will always see this forum with a much different perspective than most of us. No way around it.

The baseball forum is not immune from negativity at any point in time. Overall, over time, it really doesn’t deserve that criticism. There are many longtime, even long suffering, loyal supportive fans and donors.

I would just say this...as it pertains to yesterday...there were a whole bunch of positive posts, not just after the game but during it too. It doesn’t matter what message board you go to whether you follow a team or not...if you go looking for the negative, you will find it.

Of all the forums on VN this is about the most polite, respectful place, there’s always gonna be some of those folks, but by and large a lot of folks here have spent years saying don’t bash the players in some form or fashion.

GBO!!!

Glass half full,glass half empty,the real problem is the glass is twice as big as it should be.Always use a smaller glass.

It’s been my experience most of those posters that say deeply negative things generally aren’t educated about the sport of which they speak. Now I’m sure they THINK they are. And I think we still have the ignore option too. But I would hate to think we lost a recruit because of a hateful poster who in all likelihood isn’t even a Vol fan. Really it’s all elementary if you think about it anyways. JMO

Arkansas fans as the #1 team, had a lot to bi t ch about on their message board. It's just today's society. Losses always bring out the worst in fans.

100 % agree, it’s every fan base that’s passionate though. All I know is win or loose today, this has been a fun series. Can’t remember last time I watched two complete baseball games. Had to miss Friday’s game kid had a high school game. Man Saturday was an amazing game. Go Vols, stay positive Volnation!!!

I actually haven't seen a lot of "bashing" in the BB forum. Some complaining about umps calls, players swinging at bad pitches, lack of quality pitching. Haven't seen fans calling
the players names or saying they are no good. Saying the team needs better pitching or hitting is not negative to the players. Teams are always looking to improve on their weaknesses.

Critique? Maybe. Bash? How in the He!! Could anyone bash anything concerning this baseball program right now? This loss today hurt, in a bad way, but man am I proud of this team! They fight hard for Vitello and Vitello does the same for them.
Tell that dad not to let a group of meat heads keep his son from playing for a special coach, who is building something special at a very special place!
GBO!!

My question is "why pay attention to them".
I will read a lot of negative posts but to "pay attention" to them, not so much. A few, when properly presented are worth examination and discussion. Most are not. If we never see what some people say that is negative, then we wouldn't have much of a website. When everything is hunky dory, and going great guns, there are still things to be less than thrilled about. Much like a pro golfer who is leading a tourney but still goes to the practice range after a great round knowing there is still something that need attention.
I personally could not care less what they say. I am not the one that can be used in a anti recruiting campaign with a potential recruit. Those who are foolish to think posts will be used need to recheck their tech cred.

There is no reason we shouldn’t be able to recruit any kid to play ball here. All canvases have “those” fans it’s just our seem louder (if they are true fans as discussed earlier). I agree we should not bash our players, coaches, admin, or fans. However, you also have to remember this is an outlet for fans. This boards is a place where casual fans can let their thoughts free instead of yelling at their friends, spouses and neighbors when frustrated with team play, etc. Players and parents should stay away from the site if they can’t handle it. Remember most of the guys on here do not attend baseball games (and most fans are too far away from players in football) so their shouting would not even be heard in most cases. Let’s just enjoy this team and keep negativity to a minimum. It will be interesting to see if the media sees this weekend as one swing of the bat away from being swept by Arkansas or one inning away from us giving them their first series loss of the year. Both are correct.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
while I agree that our negative nannies are mind blowingly offensive, I suggest the dad have his don ask the current players if they feel the negativity. That’s who would know the impact of negative posters.

VN Store

Back