Recruiting update

If I had to guess, the closest recruits to committing to us are Donald Langley or Rufus Williams, mainly Langley.

Donald Langley, he's a DT from Maryland i believe..Also, Xavier Stinson RB from FL commited to Pitt today.

Berry impressed with Rocky Top
Berry impressed with Rocky Top

By Brent Hubbs, VolQuest.com Editor – Rivals.com

Fairburn, Georgia athlete Eric Berry had seen games in Knoxville be before. He was inside Neyland Stadium in 1999, and he was in attendance for two home games last year, but Berry admits his experience Saturday night with Tennessee and Florida was different.

"It was great," the 5-foot-11, 194 pound Berry said. "I had a really good time. I had really never been up there and hung out before and after the game, but the people up there were really nice."

Berry said before and after the game, everyone made him feel at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I had never seen the VolWalk before," Berry offered. "But it was great. The fans were showing lots of love to the current players and I had a bunch of fans talking to me and showing me some love. Then, after the game, me and a buddy were hanging out on the strip when two fans came up and invited us to grab a burger with them at Krystal and they knew who I was. I had never had an experience like that before. The people up there were great."

On Saturday before the game, Berry had a chance to visit with Phillip Fulmer and David Cutcliffe about his role with the offense and Berry said he liked what he heard. Berry said he also likes his growing relationship with Tennessee assistant Trooper Taylor.

"I talk to coach Trooper the most and I can relate to him the most," Berry said. "He always tells me how it is a family up there and you can see that. I saw it Saturday with the way he treats Robert Meachem. It is like they are father and son. I know he turned down more money last year to go to Texas to stay at Tennessee. That is impressive to me."

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Cincinnati (Ohio) LaSalle four-star defensive end Ben Martin was at Tennessee this past weekend and the Vols definitely made a big impression, even though they lost to hated rival Florida.

What's ironic about the whole situation is that Martin lists Florida as one of his top teams, but did the Vols move up on his list higher?

"I was there for Tennessee, but I just wanted to see both of the teams play," Martin, Ohio's No. 2 recruit, said. "It was cool. Both of them were playing some good defense. Florida came out with it though."

He did like the atmosphere at Rocky Top, though.

"Oh, it was loud," he said. "The crowd was into it. The game was tight. They definitely made a good impression on me. I might go back and check them out for an official visit.

"The coaches just showed me a lot of love after the game. They really want me to come there. They think I would fit in well with their defensive scheme."

ADVERTISEMENT

For now Martin, Tennessee moves up into his top four along with Florida, Notre Dame and Ohio State. He's still yet to set up any official visits.

"I'm just waiting until after the season to go on them," he said. "But I'll probably start setting them up in the next three or four weeks."

Martin did say he saw some of the Notre Dame-Michigan game this weekend, but he missed the Ohio State game.

"I didn't get to see the Ohio State game," he said. "I watched a little bit of the Notre Dame game. That wasn't pretty."

"I think Ohio State is going to make it this year to the national championship game, but I don't know who else."

After moving to linebacker, Martin said he's finally starting to fit in at the position.

"Two weeks ago I did all right," he said. "I had like four hurries and I think six tackles. Last week, I only played the first half but I had a sack and four hurries."

Wiggins adds an offer from the SEC
Wiggins adds an offer from the SEC

By Mike Farrell, Recruiting Analyst – Rivals.com

Miami (Fla.) North Miami Beach athlete Doug Wiggins has added a new offer from the SEC in the past week. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder is impressed by the latest scholarship.

"Last week I picked up an offer from Tennessee," he said. "That's a really big offer and I was surprised to get it because I hadn't really heard from anybody with their program until I received the letter. I do want to look into their depth chart and watch more of their games.

"From what I know about them, I know they win games and are a great team. I also like that they send people to the next level and are a great school from what I hear."

ADVERTISEMENT

The four-star prospect continues to receive a lot of calls from coaches.

"I'm just taking calls from schools across the country," he said. "None of the conversations particularly stood out since all the schools are trying to set up visit dates. Right now I'm not worried about that. I'm focused on my team and teammates. I think I'll take my visits later in the season as I'm still planning to graduate in December.

"Between now and then I really want to get a feel for the teams and coaching staffs. I'm going to be watching their games to see how the offenses and defenses run and what system is best for me."

apparently we're gonna get a visit from 5 star WR Dwight Jones, he is a N Carolina commit..Its on rivals..thats all i can read.

apparently we're gonna get a visit from 5 star WR Dwight Jones, he is a N Carolina commit..Its on rivals..thats all i can read.
That has to bode well for us if he is already commitied to UNC and is gonna take an official visit here. Maybe he will be another Hardesty.

It says he is still committed to UNC. He says he is comfortable up there and has some former teammates that are on the UNC team. He says UF and UT have continued to call him even though he is committed to UNC. He said he has absoluetly no interest in UF, but UT has caught his attention. He has been talking to Trooper and he says he really likes Trooper. He has been watching our games and he likes how we spread the ball around a lot. He says he will be watching the UGA game this weekend, and there is a possibility he will visit during the LSU game. This would be huge because we need a 'difference-maker' type WR to replace Meachem after next season. I think this turns out to be deja vu of the Hardesty recruitment last season. Trooper was his recruiter too. In the end, close to signing day, Jones realizes the UNC football program is going nowhere and that he has a chance to win championships at UT and signs with us.

It says he is still committed to UNC. He says he is comfortable up there and has some former teammates that are on the UNC team. He says UF and UT have continued to call him even though he is committed to UNC. He said he has absoluetly no interest in UF, but UT has caught his attention. He has been talking to Trooper and he says he really likes Trooper. He has been watching our games and he likes how we spread the ball around a lot. He says he will be watching the UGA game this weekend, and there is a possibility he will visit during the LSU game. This would be huge because we need a 'difference-maker' type WR to replace Meachem after next season. I think this turns out to be deja vu of the Hardesty recruitment last season. Trooper was his recruiter too. In the end, close to signing day, Jones realizes the UNC football program is going nowhere and that he has a chance to win championships at UT and signs with us.
Hope your right.

Demetrius Byrd has named at leader, there is a story on scout but i dont know who the leader is. I hope its us, so maybe we could get his teammates too!

that'd be impressive to pull 4 high caliber players that have played together and can immediately contribute. It would def. offset last years recruiting woes.

VN Store

Back