Recruiting: Opinions

Right now they are taking the best they can get. I personally like it. We are getting people who want to be here. The last staff expended considerable resources and time chasing big time players who for the most part, usually did not end up coming here. They slow played the type of guys that we are taking now and then a lot of times, these type of players didn't want anything to do with us when we missed out on our first option and it was clear to them they were a back up piece. To be sure it's not an ideal situation we are in, but our staff is making the best of it, which is all you can ask.
People who want to be here or people who don’t have a better offer? We will see how it all works out. Hope for the best.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
People who want to be here or people who don’t have a better offer? We will see how it all works out. Hope for the best.
I'm not saying it's all going to be sunshine and roses. The quick fix possibility left the building years ago, this is going to have to be a Majors type rebuild. People who don't have a better offer are grateful to get ours. Some will have better offers but will jump aboard anyway. We need both kinds.

Last edited:
It's not as though our coaches don't possess years of experience in recruiting players at a very high level. They all do. No doubt they have established metrics they are looking for and are making every effort to land the best players they can. It doesn't matter what I believe they are doing, or how well they are doing it. The recruits themselves can offer the best insight into that.
Branson Robinson, the nation's No. 4 rated running back is being recruited by all the major schools, and here's what he had to say yesterday. “It’s a pretty close race between Georgia and Tennessee. Both are doing a good job staying on top of me and recruiting me but of all the schools I’d say them two stick out the most.”
And he added, “Tennessee’s future is so bright now and in my opinion, in a few years they will be playing for (a spot in the) College Football Playoff.”
Here's the link. Tennessee Vols among top 2 schools for 4-star RB
Maybe we'll land the guy, maybe not, but it's pretty obvious to me our coaches have a clear vision of the kind of talent they want, and they know how to go after it.
Seems like every new coach we get there is always one or more recruits saying Tennessee will be contending for the playoffs soon. 🤔

?????? Like Omari Thomas, Key Lawrence, The Memphis trio, Eric Gray etc.
He recruited a few players. Not the people around them or the family. Gray, Lawrence, and French already left. We need to produce feeder schools that steer all their prospects our way.

Im Just thankful they are filling some big time needs...even if they aren’t huge names. They are doing the best they can at the moment and doing a pretty good job at it. Can’t ask for much more than that

The question is- are they actually 'filling' big time needs with quality players. I have no doubt they're doing the best they can. Unfortunately all the previous staffs did the best they could, which didn't amount to much. We'll soon see if this job is just too big for the current staff.

Reactions: vettefool
They won’t be extending 500 offers like the last staff did, if they make an offer the kid has a spot.

They may not make 500 offers and everyone they do offer could accept on the spot and be welcomed. However we know most players are not going to accept when offered. I hope at some point a player who chose not to accept early gets recruited over and we do not have a spot left when they do want to commit.

With this staff, I would like to know some of your opinions. Does this staff recruit based recruiting analyst evaluations, their own evaluations, potential, current needs, fit (such as personality or work ethic) or some other metric? I've noticed they offer a lot of recruits that don't have a lot of big time offers. Is this because the state of the program is so bad and they think they would be wasting their time and resources? Just curious on what you guys think.
When on campus visits start again on June 1, things will be “a little” easier for Tennessee to impress. However, the main recruiting problem has been and still is the impending NCAA investigation. It cost Tennessee the 2 players that went to Kentucky (they said that bluntly). They need to get that taken care of ASAP. Tennessee & the NCAA will drag their feet forever. Knowing it is killing their recruiting.

Reactions: savannahfan
Are we talking about the 2021 or 22 class? For ‘21, it’s like what Devo said but I do like that they’re at least addressing the need to fill the holes on defense. As for ‘22, I really don’t know, but to form an opinion at this point is just conjecture. JH has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
With this staff, I would like to know some of your opinions. Does this staff recruit based recruiting analyst evaluations, their own evaluations, potential, current needs, fit (such as personality or work ethic) or some other metric? I've noticed they offer a lot of recruits that don't have a lot of big time offers. Is this because the state of the program is so bad and they think they would be wasting their time and resources? Just curious on what you guys think.

Just start paying players to transfer and they can play immediately under the new rule, matter of fact, just pay them to walk-on. Problem solved.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I think you are probably correct for the 2022 class because of the timing of his and the assistant coaches hiring added to not knowing what will be coming on the NCAA investigation. As for 2023 and 2024, I think they are looking for the best players available. He knows his long term goal will require better players in future classes, especially in the skilled positions. I have already been impressed how by how different the Line looked in the Spring compared to previous years.

This is the 300 Lb. gorilla in the recruiting room as far as I am concerned. However , it might be of little consequence based on the new attuited of many players about playing in a game that "doesn't mean anything to them" (I thank a bad outcome cause by the playoff system)

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I am very worried that they do not even seem to be attempting to recruit top level players. I know we aren't going to get them - but we need to be in the conversation.

We seem to be targeting the low hanging fruit - players with limited SEC offers.

I want to see some player development regardless if the player is a 5 star can't miss prospect or a PWO. We've seen the last two staffs be able to recruit but limited to no development of the players once they're here. If Heupel and Co can coach these guys up that's going to be a recruiting tool to use down the road.

I think part of the 2022 class so far happens to be guys CJH and his staff already recruited at UCF and were very high on and already have those connections. Brian Grant and Venson Sneed certainly fit that mold.

They seem to be casting a wide net in recruiting. Targeting several players in areas we don't normally do much recruiting in. I think that's a smart approach. The current coaching staff doesn't have those long relationships yet with the recruit and UT. So you have got to gauge the interest and get those relationships built quickly since we're already half way to the next signing day.

I am very worried that they do not even seem to be attempting to recruit top level players. I know we aren't going to get them - but we need to be in the conversation.

We seem to be targeting the low hanging fruit - players with limited SEC offers.

We have got to utilize our time wisely since we're so far behind other teams in recruiting. Allocating a lot of time and effort into a recruit that you're not likely to obtain doesn't seem to be a smart approach given the time frame. CJH and his staff likely don't have those relationships with most of these top level recruits. It's doubtful that would change much in 6 months.

No doubt the last coaching staff left a lot of problems for the current staff to have to deal with. Coach Heupel has brought in some experienced players via the transfer portal, and for the most part, has addressed the biggest needs on defense. The offensive side of the line has experience, and even back ups that have played. Biggest thing in my opinion is how well the team picks up the new playbook. From the Orange and White game, it seems like the offense has done a good job of learning the plays. Defensively, a lot of holes needed to be filled to really get a feel for how they will perform in a real game. When recruits see the product on the field, it should get them interested in Tennessee if it's a good product. The pending NCAA investigation is the biggest unknown factor. We could get hammered, or just get a slap on the wrist. Now that kids are going to be allowed to make money from their image, who knows what will happen.

Reactions: BigBadVol
We have got to utilize our time wisely since we're so far behind other teams in recruiting. Allocating a lot of time and effort into a recruit that you're not likely to obtain doesn't seem to be a smart approach given the time frame. CJH and his staff likely don't have those relationships with most of these top level recruits. It's doubtful that would change much in 6 months.
My opinion is swimming in deeper waters prepares you for a time you can actually land the big fish.

Taking G5 players will yield G5 results.

I'm not saying it's all going to be sunshine and roses. The quick fix possibility left the building years ago, this is going to have to be a Majors type rebuild. People who don't have a better offer are grateful to get ours. Some will have better offers but will jump aboard anyway. We need both kinds.

Butch Jones wanted to be here. To some, this is a/their dream job.

You have the correct ideology. It will take a Johnny Majors type of rebuild.

My opinion is swimming in deeper waters prepares you for a time you can actually land the big fish.

Taking G5 players will yield G5 results.

That's all well, but they don't have those relationships with this staff and we have 6 months until signing day. Combined with pending sanctions, it doesn't seem wise to use those resources on recruits we have a low probability to sign. Target the guys who fit best. Target the under the radar guys that most of the big schools haven't targeted yet. Work on building the relationships with the elite recruits in 2023 and beyond.

Butch Jones wanted to be here. To some, this is a/their dream job.

You have the correct ideology. It will take a Johnny Majors type of rebuild.
The unfortunate truth is you are correct about the rebuild. My fear is only a Tennessee boy like Johnny would get the leash necessary to do it.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The pending NCAA investigation is the biggest unknown factor. We could get hammered, or just get a slap on the wrist. Now that kids are going to be allowed to make money from their image, who knows what will happen.

The NCAA will most likely accept whatever UT offers them (or they would be smart to do so), if we are talking about cash in McDonald's bags. Any attempt by the NCAA to restrict commerce could be viewed by DOJ Antitrust Division as contrary to law from which they have already sent a warning letter.

Whether what UT and staff have been doing is contrary to the NCAA rules is mostly irrelevant at this stage (generally speaking)... the rules are not really enforceable as it comes to some of this.

Pay is the new name of the game. <---- Tennessee is getting out payments when the whole system is now going to payments?

Last edited:
Here's a few quotes about recruiting and what they want in players from Alex Golesh who was co OC at UCF in 2020. I see no reason for CJH to change his recruiting philosophy because of a move to SEC play.

"You can have the greatest scheme in the world, but if you don't have the right players it does not matter what you run. We recruit to what we are trying to accomplish. And we work really hard at developing our guys—so if you lose a guy like Tre Nixon it's not a huge drop-off.
"You want to have guys that can stretch the field vertically. You want guys that are different from each other, a variety of guys.

"Our running backs look different from each other, our receivers look different. That versatility gives you the ability to do a lot of different things.

Moving forward, Golesh suggests that, from a recruiting standpoint, the Knights are looking for players who he describes as "quick processors."

Last edited:
Reactions: 9876543vol
The most important factor in recruiting for us is to take what we have and win this fall. I believe we can be anywhere between 6 - 6 to 9 - 3 (if ALL the breaks fall our way). I think 8 - 4 is very achievable this year with an exciting offense. Do that, and we become more attractive to some of the higher ranked kids. Pull a 9 - 3 the next year, and we're on our way. Winning solves so many problems!

VN Store

Back