Recruiting Memphis

Logan Young - Wikipedia

Very suspicious death. Literally "he fell down the stairs". But this is par for the course with Memphis police. Long history of cover-ups and conspiracy.

Wet works?

Only one man really knows....

phillip-fulmer.jpg

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Oh there are certainly problems, and I had remembered Robinson's issue when I was writing that. There are just certain schools that won't let that happen because the coaches and administration know what a scholarship means to the student. I have never discussed it with him, but I went to law school with one of the defensive coaches at Whitehaven. I assume he would do everything he can to support a kid and keep them eligible.

Between coaches "teaching" classes, super easy electives, and PE courses, it was easy at my rural HS for athletes to stay eligible to play football. One of the reasons I played football in HS was athletes got first choices when it came to class schedules.

It's really easy to stay eligible for HS football. It's harder to be NCAA eligible with a bad ACT score. Most of the transcript changing is to jack up the GPA to get players eligible for NCAA purposes on the sliding scale as a result of bad ACT score

Logan Young - Wikipedia

Very suspicious death. Literally "he fell down the stairs". But this is par for the course with Memphis police. Long history of cover-ups and conspiracy.

Wet works?
Clicked on this link and read up on Logan Young. Scrolled to the bottom and clicked on the related link of Albert Means. Scrolled to the bottom of it, and the related link was the 2017 Ole Miss Rebels and Hugh Freeze lol. Was hoping Crooked Oaks was going to pop up next but all I got was Matt Luke.

Logan Young - Wikipedia

Wet works?

Yep Young's big mouth likely did him in. He was intoxicated, "Fell and bled out" is how I remember the story. Blood was supposedly everywhere. And yes-----Wet Works.

If you are just referring to inner city public schools, maybe. However, I don't think Whitehaven has had many academic casualties.

But, kids that come from CBHS, MUS, White Station, ECS, or St. George's are not going to have academic issues. Kids coming from Houston and Collierville won't either, but those aren't schools that produce much D1 talent.

Note I said Memphis schools (should have narrowed it down some). Think I mentioned CBHS and maybe other private or outlying schools in a later post. No, like you the private schools in the Memphis area would not have academic problems as a whole.

Oh there are certainly problems, and I had remembered Robinson's issue when I was writing that. There are just certain schools that won't let that happen because the coaches and administration know what a scholarship means to the student. I have never discussed it with him, but I went to law school with one of the defensive coaches at Whitehaven. I assume he would do everything he can to support a kid and keep them eligible.

If he went to law school, what the hell is he doing coaching high school football?

If he went to law school, what the hell is he doing coaching high school football?

Many of these inner city schools have absolutely no funding for extracurricular activities since a large part of the old MCS budget went to pay the bloated administration and not education/extracurricular activities. The reason why Whitehaven is successful now (and Melrose was 20 years ago) is that these football programs got community support/funding. Many of these inner city schools rely on volunteer assistant coaches to fill in the gaps. I have a Masters and a professional certification (not a lawyer) and I have volunteered coached at one of these schools in the past. These students need all the positive influences they can find since they are born into a tough situation and the education system in this area is primarily set up to provide cushy "administrative" jobs for political supporters and not to educate kids.

Fulmer/Majors had some pretty good ones...Anthony Miller, Cedric Wilson, Al Wilson (Jackson), to name a few. It's been tough, though.

The Anthony Miller who played at UT was from Los Angeles. I believe youā€™re thinking of the University of Memphis Anthony Miller.

As you said, we recruited some great Memphis players through the years. In the mid ā€˜70s, 80ā€™s and 90s, I can remember and name many players who made a significant impact at UT. As time went on, more and more players were being bought or subsidized in some way. Itā€™s not like 1 or 2 schools were doing it...many schools were coming into Memphis and doing it, and still are. The Albert Means saga left a black eye on the city.

Then grade requirements were overhauled by the NCAA and it had a significant affect on those recruits who now werenā€™t academically qualified. In the mid ā€˜80s AD Doug Dickey told me that recruiting was ā€œnow a matter of numbers (how many kids you could sign) and those who were smart enough to get in.ā€ As this took effect, fewer and fewer recruits from Memphis ended up at Tennessee.

We then saw an era where several Memphis players came to UT, but left because they couldnā€™t cope with the culture change, had academic issues or were trouble makers..as weā€™ve seen recently.

I think this generation of Memphis youth will come to UT and make a positive footprint for future Memphians.

Last edited:
Many of these inner city schools have absolutely no funding for extracurricular activities since a large part of the old MCS budget went to pay the bloated administration and not education/extracurricular activities. The reason why Whitehaven is successful now (and Melrose was 20 years ago) is that these football programs got community support/funding. Many of these inner city schools rely on volunteer assistant coaches to fill in the gaps. I have a Masters and a professional certification (not a lawyer) and I have volunteered coached at one of these schools in the past. These students need all the positive influences they can find since they are born into a tough situation and the education system in this area is primarily set up to provide cushy "administrative" jobs for political supporters and not to educate kids.

It's hard to say, but all the more reason to not devote much time in recruiting Memphis right now for UT. Most of these potential great players are "project types" because of just what you are saying. (little real coaching and teaching of the game and fundamentals) UT, at this point needs players that are ready to contribute, not guys we need to be starting from scratch with. Keep our hand in on the Memphis front, but be careful of getting into a situation where we are the "elementary" coaches for these guys.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
There hasn't been a lot of good players at those schools in a while. Germantown isnt what they used to be under Netherland. Millington hasnt had a big time recruit since Gallaway back in the mid 90s. CBHS had Ligon but he was a 3* and almost 20 yrs ago. The most consistent program in this area for the past 20 yrs has been Covington, which has only had 5-6 D-1 players.
CBHS had a High 4* (Bill Norton) go to Georgia last year. Also, they play in the Super 7 against elite completion like MUS and MBAā€¦ Itā€™s true Germantown was a system school and has been limited for years running the QB option out of the wishbone/wing-t, but they seem to be evolving as of late. Jauan Jennings went to Germantown his freshman year before he moved to middle TN. Tennessee got Jermey Banks and Jerome Carvin from Cordova last year and Eric Gray this year... Overall, given that a large number of Memphis area players go to D1 programs... itā€™s safe to say that Memphis area football is BY FAR the most fertile and important part of recruiting in the state! And Pruitt knows it!!! Memphis and Mobile AL.(Tee Martinā€™s home town) are both underrated and extremely important recruiting hubs!

Reactions: swampfoxfan
It's hard to say, but all the more reason to not devote much time in recruiting Memphis right now for UT. Most of these potential great players are "project types" because of just what you are saying. (little real coaching and teaching of the game and fundamentals) UT, at this point needs players that are ready to contribute, not guys we need to be starting from scratch with. Keep our hand in on the Memphis front, but be careful of getting into a situation where we are the "elementary" coaches for these guys.
Talent is talentā€¦ youā€™re talking about taking finished products from good homes and good programs with good coaching etc. It makes no sense... yeah it would be great to have a whole team full of ā€œGrant Williamsā€ type players that are high motor & high IQ, but itā€™s not realistic. If we do have a team full of these types of guys then weā€™ll stay 5-7. We need ball players that are loaded with raw talent and can be developed to accompany these ā€œGrant Williansā€ types. Thatā€™s the only way we get over the hump. We have a head coach that prides himself on his high school background and being an educator and developer. This isnā€™t Butch Jones hereā€¦ sheesh

Last edited:
Talent is talentā€¦ youā€™re talking about taking finished products from good homes and good programs with good coaching etc. It makes no sense... yeah it would be great to have a whole team full of ā€œGrant Williamsā€ type players that are high motor & high IQ, but itā€™s not realistic. If we do have a team full of these types of guys then weā€™ll stay 5-7. We need ball players that are loaded with raw talent and can be developed to accompany these ā€œGrant Williansā€ types. Thatā€™s the only way we get over the hump. We have a head coach that prides himself on his high school background and being an educator and developer. This isnā€™t Butch Jones hereā€¦ sheesh

BUT (and this is a big but) will we the fans and the university give Coach P the time need to develop a team and program with guys who need to learn most everything about playing other than being a great athlete? I just don't know, nor does anyone but Fulmer. This question reminds me of the old question"which comes first, the chicken or the egg"?!?

You should probably tell them that an SEC schedule is a little tougher than an AAC schedule. Maybe bring up Memphisā€™ 1-22 record against UT. Use small words, though.

hard to make up ground when UT won't schedule Memphis.
Balance of power has shifted...Memphis is the best team in the state right now....has been for about six years.

Thank you

Balance of power has shifted...Memphis is the best team in the state right now....has been for about six years.

The Dobbs teams would have run all day on the Memphis defense, and the 2015 and 2016 UT teams had good defenses. I grew up in and live around Memphis, so I follow both. UT would have struggled the last couple of years.

The Dobbs teams would have run all day on the Memphis defense, and the 2015 and 2016 UT teams had good defenses. I grew up in and live around Memphis, so I follow both. UT would have struggled the last couple of years.

Memphis had Paxton Lynch, Dorland Dorceus, Phil Mayhue, Sam Craft, and Anthony Miller, Patrick Taylor, and Mose Frasier on offense...and LB Genard Avery playing really well on defense. We'd have moved the ball. We put the screws to Ole Miss 2 out of 3 tries with their super teams...and this was after they had beaten Alabama twice.
Recall the slobber knocker Avery laid on Nkemdieche for Ole Miss....they had Nkem lined up at RB for 4th down and 1...and Avery knocked him out with a hit,

When Norvell took over in 2016...we slipped a bit defensively...but offensively we were still as potent as we had been the season before. (only lost 20 yards of production..we were breaking in former UT QB Riley Ferguson that year)
I'd say we would have held our own against you...but we'll never know.
Anyway...this isn't your grandfather's era of Memphis Tigers.
New generation of leaders stressing football and infrastructure.

*edit*
One of the things our governor did..was to give us our own board of trustees...we used to be held hostage by the board in our state...just like Alabama's did for UAB.
Alabama's board had forced UAB to shut down its football program for a short time.

Last edited:
Memphis recruiting....low expectations, minimal disappointment.

With Memphis starting to do well in football...recruiting is getting a bit easier for our staff.
We've had some guys get to the NFL...and kids are seeing they will still have a stage that can get them to the pros.
Not saying UT can't compete for these guys...but I'd like to think Norvell is giving them other visible options now.

Norvell is a limp wrist. Heā€™s lucky Pruitt is a nice guy and doesnā€™t feel the need to possum stomp his ass.

Of all the coaches since PF, coach Pruitt is the one that coaches seem to like. It is still early but I truly believe he will do very well. Coaches liked PF because he had to cover up a of dislike toward Woody. Coach Johnson already had a few ties here so that also helped.

Tennessee has never gained anything from playing Memphis and its still that way today. No matter how good (or perceived "good") they are theres just no strategic positives for the Vols. If there were any, trust me the Vols would play them every year.

Memphis had Paxton Lynch, Dorland Dorceus, Phil Mayhue, Sam Craft, and Anthony Miller, Patrick Taylor, and Mose Frasier on offense...and LB Genard Avery playing really well on defense. We'd have moved the ball. We put the screws to Ole Miss 2 out of 3 tries with their super teams...and this was after they had beaten Alabama twice.
Recall the slobber knocker Avery laid on Nkemdieche for Ole Miss....they had Nkem lined up at RB for 4th down and 1...and Avery knocked him out with a hit,

When Norvell took over in 2016...we slipped a bit defensively...but offensively we were still as potent as we had been the season before. (only lost 20 yards of production..we were breaking in former UT QB Riley Ferguson that year)
I'd say we would have held our own against you...but we'll never know.
Anyway...this isn't your grandfather's era of Memphis Tigers.
New generation of leaders stressing football and infrastructure.

*edit*
One of the things our governor did..was to give us our own board of trustees...we used to be held hostage by the board in our state...just like Alabama's did for UAB.
Alabama's board had forced UAB to shut down its football program for a short time.

Yea, I know who Memphis had. Donā€™t care about Ole Miss. Our 2015 team was physical. Alabama players said we were probably the most physical team they had played at that point. Not saying it was an easy win, but Dobbs, Hurd, and Kamara would have run all over a Memphis defense. Just with a quick look, Sports Reference had us finish 16th on defense while Memphis finished 66th. 2016 would have been a shootout because our defense was much worse with injuries.

The last two years...there is no doubt who was better.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back