Recruiting Forum Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone sent me a PM asking if our coaching targets have changed. The answer is no, Gruden is the top target with the boosters. I have doubts he will listen, but boosters want him.

Do you think Kelly is a legit option? I'm wondering if his issues with the NCAA will disqualify him.

My booster I talk to regularly hasn't even mentioned Gruden. Wants james franklin and has told his $ is leaving the program if Currie isn't willing to pay huge money to next coach

My booster wants to hire Rich Rod for some reason. He told me if we don't, his money is going straight from the program to St. Jude's Research...selfish punk. My booster is the worst.

Reactions: 3 people
This game vs. SC could be Butch's last game in Neyland. Win or lose, things will take care of themselves. Hope people don't boo him.

Reactions: 4 people
My booster I talk to regularly hasn't even mentioned Gruden. Wants james franklin and has told his $ is leaving the program if Currie isn't willing to pay huge money to next coach

I think Franklin would be a phenomenal hire football wise. I know not everyone would want him, and I understand that, but he'd win big.

Here's something to think about. Given some measure of hindsight, what SHOULD CBJ's regular season record at Tennessee be in your opinion? In other words, if he had reached this level of achievement given the circumstances, he would be considered a very good coach.

My version with (teams) we could have arguably beaten in the respective years if we had a really good coach - jmo.

2013 8-4 (FL, GA, VD)
2014 9-3 (GA, FL, MO)
2015 12-0 (OK, FL, AR, AL)
2016 11-1 (A&M, SC, VD)
2017 4-1 (FL)

Reactions: 1 person
Here's something to think about. Given some measure of hindsight, what SHOULD CBJ's regular season record at Tennessee be in your opinion? In other words, if he had reached this level of achievement given the circumstances, he would be considered a very good coach.

My version with (teams) we could have arguably beaten in the respective years if we had a really good coach - jmo.

2013 8-4 (FL, GA, VD)
2014 9-3 (GA, FL, MO)
2016 11-1 (A&M, SC, VD)
2017 4-1 (FL)

12-0 in 2015 would have been the best coaching job of all time.

Reactions: 2 people

2013 8-4 (FL, GA, VD)
2014 9-3 (GA, FL, MO)
2016 11-1 (A&M, SC, VD)
2017 4-1 (FL)

I know we had an idiot that screwed us up with Dooley, but I've looked at a lot of successful head coaches records. They almost ALWAYS have things rolling by year 3.

I think Franklin would be a phenomenal hire football wise. I know not everyone would want him, and I understand that, but he'd win big.

What's Franklin currently making I wonder? I'd throw between 6 and 7 mill at him and tell him to come on. Would be a dream hire IMO. Would be a lateral move for him though. Maybe he'd want to get back in the SEC.

A close or lucky win cancels out a close loss IMO, at least when viewing a season in retrospect.

2013: 6-6, should have beat either UGA or VU, but did beat USC
2014: 7-5, should have beat UF or UGA but did beat USC and Vandy
2015: 10-2, should have beat OU and UF, but did beat USC (they were driving to win the game)
2016: 9-3, should have beat A&M, USC, and VU, but did beat App State and UGA

What's Franklin currently making I wonder? I'd throw between 6 and 7 mill at him and tell him to come on. Would be a dream hire IMO. Would be a lateral move for him though. Maybe he'd want to get back in the SEC.

Pretty sure he’s making 5.5 or 6. I’m probably wrong though

I’d take him over most coaches that have been named. Dude is a hoss

A close or lucky win cancels out a close loss IMO, at least when viewing a season in retrospect.

2013: 6-6, should have beat either UGA or VU, but did beat USC
2014: 7-5, should have beat UF or UGA but did beat USC and Vandy
2015: 10-2, should have beat OU and UF, but did beat USC (they were driving to win the game)
2016: 9-3, should have beat A&M, USC, and VU, but did beat App State and UGA

Cool. Thanks for playing. :)

I was just wondering why we want to fire him. I couldn't see firing him for losing 1 or 2 games. I'm saying I'm firing him for losing 14 games. You're at 5 games so I can understand that. While on the surface it might seem that you are less demanding than me in fact you seem to tolerate far fewer losses that I would. :)

99% of VN if we hire anyone except Gruden, Kelly or Frost.

regina-george-screaming-2-o.gif

Um... Take off Frost and that’s where I’m at.

Cool. Thanks for playing. :)

I was just wondering why we want to fire him. I couldn't see firing him for losing 1 or 2 games. I'm saying I'm firing him for losing 14 games. You're at 5 games so I can understand that. While on the surface it might seem that you are less demanding than me in fact you seem to tolerate far fewer losses that I would. :)

Butch is a one step forward, two steps back guy. He seems to win one he shouldn't every year and lose two he shouldn't.

Erase a single bad loss from every season he's been here and he's sitting pretty right now, IMO.

2013: VU
2014: UF
2015: OU or UF
2016: USC or Vandy
2017: UF

A coach who meets expectations would have those wins under his belt.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is a one step forward, two steps back guy. He seems to win one he shouldn't every year and lose two he shouldn't.

Erase a single bad loss from every season he's been here and he's sitting pretty right now, IMO.

I think you're probably right about the bolded part. I'd probably still be pissed but I'm just one guy. He'd still have the majority of the fanbase and that would be all he needs to "stay the course" in my opinion as well. :hi:

If you think about it. This team was very very close to being 6-6 last year. UGA and App state could have certainly been losses. App state lucky bounce. UGA lucky Hail Mary. If you throw in Florida we could have ended up with a change this past year.

Agree with this 100%. I've had a similar thought -- if he could've gotten these wins, one more a year, I'd *still* be on board.

I might still be on board if we'd beaten Vanderbilt and gone to the Sugar Bowl last year, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back