'18 Recruiting Forum: Official Vanderbilt Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, November 24th
Game Time: 4:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium West, Nashville, TN
Network: SEC

1542801962102.png

Well... Tennessee's game against Missouri did not go quite as we hoped for, with the Tigers absolutely dominating the Vols in every stage of the game except for interceptions thrown. It's a sour way to end things in Knoxville, but this week, the team travels to Neyland West, which we allow Vanderbilt to use for their home games. Vanderbilt should be thrilled to play the Vols. Let's be honest... it's the closest thing to a filled stadium they get to experience in Nashville, even if it is going to be a 60% Orange crowd. It's do or die time for both teams. Win, and you go bowling. Lose, and you go home... though Vanderbilt could get to a bowl at 5 wins due to their APR. For Tennessee however, the perception of this season rides on this game. Don't get me wrong, Tennessee should never define itself by wins against Vanderbilt, but things are not right in Big Orange Country, and for this season, this is a mark we need hit.

Keys to Victory:

1. 3rd down for wha... umm... first down conversions: Vanderbilt is a stale 121st in the nation in 3rd down defense... giving up the conversion on a fresh 45% of attempts. This should be a welcome change of scenery for the Vols who were a dismal 2 for 10 against Mizzou, and couldn't put together anything consistent on offense. Missouri, by the way is 24th in the nation. Tyson Helton needs to be good enough on first and second down to have a full playbook on 3rd down instead of only the old "heave it up to Callaway" play... which admittedly has been a joy to watch this year, or "throw it 1 1/2 yards short of the sticks for a 4th and 1". Key Point: 3rd down conversions.

2. Outrun the 'Dores:
Vanderbilt is not strong vs. the run, ranking 96th and 195 yards per game. When they give up over 200 yards rushing, they are 1-6. When opponents are less than 200, they are 4-0. Tennessee wants to be on the +200 side of that equation. Vandy is 5-1 when coming up with 175 yards or more on the ground, and the Vol defensive front has allowed 200 rushing yards or more in five of the last eight games. When Tennessee allows over 200 yards rushing, they are 0-5. Ke'Shawn Vaughn is a load to handle too. A bigger back, at 210, he's not quite hit Benny Snell like numbers, but he's been much more efficient with each touch. He averages a whopping 7.3 yards per carry and has big play potential, having rushes of at least 43 yards in 5 of the last 6 games. Unlike Snell, who has declined with the age of the season, Vaughn has only gotten stronger, with half of his rushing yards (481) coming in the last 3 weeks. Key Point: Rush for over 200. Don't let them rush for over 175.

3. Get Well Soon: JG and Callaway... we need ya. It would be nice to see Flowers return this week too.

4. For the love of all that is good and pure and orange... defend the pass: Kyle Shurmur is an annoying collection of human parts. I know nothing of his character, but I know that he has career days against Tennessee. In 2016, the infamous Dobbs 31-34 but still lost game, he threw for 416 yards. In 2017, he threw for 283 yards. Unfortunately, he's playing some of his best football... outside of a bizarre 326 yard outburst vs. Notre Dame earlier this year. Over the past 4 games, 9 TD, 1 INT and a completion % of 67%. This has coincided with the recent improvement in the Vandy running game, so to make it simple... Vanderbilt has recently improved all phases of their offense... joy.

Prediction: Ultimately, it comes down to defense. For a team that has just given up 50 points, you are probably ready to check out of this post, but hold on... In spite of Vanderbilt's recent offensive improvement, they're still not that great on defense. In spite of the 50 point melt down against the offensive genius that resides in the mind of Derek Dooley, Tennessee is still not that bad on defense. Tennessee is 43rd nationally, and Vanderbilt 98th. Vanderbilt is currently producing the more potent offense, but overall, I like the edge Tennessee can bring on defense with more of a traditional offense. When Tennessee has been blow apart, it has been the talent disparity of Bama and the uptempo offenses of WV, USCe, and Mizzou. That's not the Vandy game, and I think our dudes can stand toe-to-toe with their dudes, though Vaughn is going to be a big problem. Try to take away Vaughn, and force Shurmur to dink and dunk. Take advantage of forced passes to make turnovers happen, and the Vols have a game that is thoroughly within their grasp. Show up disinterested, and you can find your own way back to your hometown from Nashville.

TN 24
Vandy 20

Just checked my previous game threads. I've never predicted a Vandy win. I consider myself objective, but I can never bring myself to pick Vandy. It's like admitting that you are capable of letting a little something extra out when you squeeze a little wind out the back side. I mean I know it COULD happen, but there is just no way that I think that it ever WOULD happen.

... again.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. It would not surprise me if we come in disinterested and lose, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we came in and played with our hair on fire and beat them by double digits. This team has been so inconsistent all year, that they are hard to predict.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. It would not surprise me if we come in disinterested and lose, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we came in and played with our hair on fire and beat them by double digits. This team has been so inconsistent all year, that they are hard to predict.

Exactly how I feel. Is it UF/Mizzou? Or is it Barn/UK? Maybe it's the in-betweener of USCe. It's all across the board. Nick did as well as can be expected based on what has happened this season.

My take is they need to commit to run the football and throw the ball 20+ on play action. On key 3rd downs rediscover the slants and shallow crossing routes. The D needs to redeem their manhood. Last week was wimpy. Time to go!

Thanks, Nick for doing these all season. Here's hoping you'll have one more.

As to the game, I think after last week these players are done. Seniors ready to put their careers behind them. Some, including some underclassmen are looking forward to getting themselves ready for the big leagues. I think Pruitt said that most of what's left to play for is pride. I don't think the collectively the team has much pride left. If you can't get up for senior day, in your own stadium, playing for bowl eligibility, and playing for the chance at a winning record, I don't see them playing inspired ball this Saturday.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but I think Vandy plays inspired football and becomes bowl eligible with a fairly convincing win. The oline continues to whiff and be outplayed. I wouldn't be surprised to see JG get knocked out again. Don't see our dline getting to their QB enough to affect his passes.

We struggle the most against teams that are balanced. They appear very balanced. This team struggles defensively to put pressure on the QB and cover. That makes the running game work.

If mason is one thing he's a pretty dang good defensive coach. My guess is he'll have a decent scheme dialed up. Our offense is vanilla and predictable so my guess is that Vandy will blitz and blitz often. We don't seem to have or execute plays to punish that. I think the offense will look putrid again Saturday.

I think Vandy wins this fairly comfortable somewhere in the 31-10 range.

Don't @ me. It's un-American.

Just checked my previous game threads. I've never predicted a Vandy win. I consider myself objective, but I can never bring myself to pick Vandy. It's like admitting that you are capable of letting a little something extra out when you squeeze a little wind out the back side. I mean I know it COULD happen, but there is just no way that I think that it ever WOULD happen.

... again.
2-4 last 6 games. 2-5 after Saturday unfortunately....

Reactions: KBVol
Just according which team shows up. I do believe we match up better with Vandy than we did Mizz. If the right team shows up we could win a tight game. Of course if last week O shows up we will get blown out. The good thing is we aren't facing a future NFL QB this week. That's when we really get exposed. This is our best change to get win 6 so GBO!

If O shows up
UT - 35

Candy - 17

We haven't won every away game, but we've played well in almost all of them (save WVU game).

I don't know what it is, but aside from the UK game, we've played like smashed buttholes at Neyland all year. I think going on the road helps this team this week, and I think we win this week.

Date: Saturday, November 24th
Game Time: 4:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium West, Nashville, TN
Network: SEC

View attachment 177118

Well... Tennessee's game against Missouri did not go quite as we hoped for, with the Tigers absolutely dominating the Vols in every stage of the game except for interceptions thrown. It's a sour way to end things in Knoxville, but this week, the team travels to Neyland West, which we allow Vanderbilt to use for their home games. Vanderbilt should be thrilled to play the Vols. Let's be honest... it's the closest thing to a filled stadium they get to experience in Nashville, even if it is going to be a 60% Orange crowd. It's do or die time for both teams. Win, and you go bowling. Lose, and you go home... though Vanderbilt could get to a bowl at 5 wins due to their APR. For Tennessee however, the perception of this season rides on this game. Don't get me wrong, Tennessee should never define itself by wins against Vanderbilt, but things are not right in Big Orange Country, and for this season, this is a mark we need hit.

Keys to Victory:

1. 3rd down for wha... umm... first down conversions: Vanderbilt is a stale 121st in the nation in 3rd down defense... giving up the conversion on a fresh 45% of attempts. This should be a welcome change of scenery for the Vols who were a dismal 2 for 10 against Mizzou, and couldn't put together anything consistent on offense. Missouri, by the way is 24th in the nation. Tyson Helton needs to be good enough on first and second down to have a full playbook on 3rd down instead of only the old "heave it up to Callaway" play... which admittedly has been a joy to watch this year, or "throw it 1 1/2 yards short of the sticks for a 4th and 1". Key Point: 3rd down conversions.

2. Outrun the 'Dores: Vanderbilt is not strong vs. the run, ranking 96th and 195 yards per game. When they give up over 200 yards rushing, they are 1-6. When opponents are less than 200, they are 4-0. Tennessee wants to be on the +200 side of that equation. Vandy is 5-1 when coming up with 175 yards or more on the ground, and the Vol defensive front has allowed 200 rushing yards or more in five of the last eight games. When Tennessee allows over 200 yards rushing, they are 0-5. Ke'Shawn Vaughn is a load to handle too. A bigger back, at 210, he's not quite hit Benny Snell like numbers, but he's been much more efficient with each touch. He averages a whopping 7.3 yards per carry and has big play potential, having rushes of at least 43 yards in 5 of the last 6 games. Unlike Snell, who has declined with the age of the season, Vaughn has only gotten stronger, with half of his rushing yards (481) coming in the last 3 weeks. Key Point: Rush for over 200. Don't let them rush for over 175.

3. Get Well Soon: JG and Callaway... we need ya. It would be nice to see Flowers return this week too.

4. For the love of all that is good and pure and orange... defend the pass: Kyle Shurmur is an annoying collection of human parts. I know nothing of his character, but I know that he has career days against Tennessee. In 2016, the infamous Dobbs 31-34 but still lost game, he threw for 416 yards. In 2017, he threw for 283 yards. Unfortunately, he's playing some of his best football... outside of a bizarre 326 yard outburst vs. Notre Dame earlier this year. Over the past 4 games, 9 TD, 1 INT and a completion % of 67%. This has coincided with the recent improvement in the Vandy running game, so to make it simple... Vanderbilt has recently improved all phases of their offense... joy.

Prediction: Ultimately, it comes down to defense. For a team that has just given up 50 points, you are probably ready to check out of this post, but hold on... In spite of Vanderbilt's recent offensive improvement, they're still not that great on defense. In spite of the 50 point melt down against the offensive genius that resides in the mind of Derek Dooley, Tennessee is still not that bad on defense. Tennessee is 43rd nationally, and Vanderbilt 98th. Vanderbilt is currently producing the more potent offense, but overall, I like the edge Tennessee can bring on defense with more of a traditional offense. When Tennessee has been blow apart, it has been the talent disparity of Bama and the uptempo offenses of WV, USCe, and Mizzou. That's not the Vandy game, and I think our dudes can stand toe-to-toe with their dudes, though Vaughn is going to be a big problem. Try to take away Vaughn, and force Shurmur to dink and dunk. Take advantage of forced passes to make turnovers happen, and the Vols have a game that is thoroughly within their grasp. Show up disinterested, and you can find your own way back to your hometown from Nashville.

TN 24
Vandy 20
atta boy.

good write up. Vaughn definitely has my attention. we have to stop the runt his week. like, it's important. lol.

and recognize screens. they like use those a lot, so we need to be ready for it and understand what to look for so we don't get caught behind the line and a guy like Vaughn running free.

agree about the offensive match up against their defense. if our RB's can STOP FUMBLING, i think you're 100% correct on the early down success. it's one if, if not the, most important keys to our offense having an semblence of success. we suck at 2nd and 3rd and long.

special teams could be a huge factor as well, we were on the short end of the field position game last week and we can't let that happen again. and i still think Cimaglia has a role to play at some point.

i think this is a bit higher scoring than you do, simply because stopping the run may just mean we held them to 150 yards....lss, i think they'll probably be able to score a little bit. but so do we.

TN 31
Vandy 27

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
We haven't won every away game, but we've played well in almost all of them (save WVU game).

I don't know what it is, but aside from the UK game, we've played like smashed buttholes at Neyland all year. I think going on the road helps this team this week, and I think we win this week.
i think part of it was the opponents...Bama, FL, MO bad losses.....ETSU, UTEP, UNCC, UK....w's. (some prettier than others, of course).

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Let's just try not to start run up the middle, three and out pathetic for once... move the ball, mix it up, keep them guessing, sustain the drive, and score. Then figure out a way to pressure the QB without leaving WR's wide open... Then we have a chance.

Good write up OP...I have to say I agree with you...but ..don't sleep on vandys secondary tho ...they have a couple guys who can make plays....one reason I feel confident about the win tho is the way Pruitt shut down Ky's run game...I think we can do that again but Shurmer will still find a way to give us fits if Taylor and the rest of our defense fail to show up...but I predict that we get at least 5 sacks with a bunch of qb hurries....GBO!

Reactions: feathersax
UT has rushed for over 200 yards once this season, against UK, and I still haven't determined how that happened (I assume some sort of weird alignment in the stars that day), so as weak as Vandy has been against the run I don't expect us to run for 200 yds. I am not sure we can contain Vaughn either as he is as physical as the Mizzou backs. I know we contained Snell for the most part, but it was easy to load the box against UK and dare Wilson to beat us with is arm. Vandy is pretty balanced offensively, so it will be a risk bringing extra defenders into the box. In the last 3 games Vandy has scored 45 against Ark, 28 against Mizzou, and 36 against Ole Miss. Granted, Ark and Ole Miss are not good defenses, but then, UT doesn't have a good defense either. If we can't stay ahead of the chains on 1st and 2nd downs, we won't win this game.

Missouri's DL appeared to dominate our OL. Mizz starting DL:

DE Byers - 6-4, 280, So. - 2 tkl vs. UT
DT Beckner - 6-4, 295, Sr. - 4 tkl, 1 TFL vs. UT
NT Palmore - 6-4, 320, Sr. - 4 tkl, 1 sack, 0.5 other TFL vs. UT
DE Turner - 6-4, 255, So. - 0 tkl vs. UT

Not sure who Vandy's DL starters are, but they have:

Dare Odeybingbo - 6-2, 282, Sr. - 4 tkl vs. OM
Dayo Odeybingbo - 6-6, 265, So. - 4 tkl vs. OM
Vecchio - 6-5, 270, So. - 3 tkl vs. OM
Birchmeier - 6-4, 295, RSSo. - 1 tkl vs. OM
Rest of their DL either had no tackles or didn't play vs. OM.

I think our OL should fare better vs. Vandy's DL, and maybe JG will survive to finish the game. Comments?

Thanks, Nick for doing these all season. Here's hoping you'll have one more.

As to the game, I think after last week these players are done. Seniors ready to put their careers behind them. Some, including some underclassmen are looking forward to getting themselves ready for the big leagues. I think Pruitt said that most of what's left to play for is pride. I don't think the collectively the team has much pride left. If you can't get up for senior day, in your own stadium, playing for bowl eligibility, and playing for the chance at a winning record, I don't see them playing inspired ball this Saturday.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but I think Vandy plays inspired football and becomes bowl eligible with a fairly convincing win. The oline continues to whiff and be outplayed. I wouldn't be surprised to see JG get knocked out again. Don't see our dline getting to their QB enough to affect his passes.

We struggle the most against teams that are balanced. They appear very balanced. This team struggles defensively to put pressure on the QB and cover. That makes the running game work.

If mason is one thing he's a pretty dang good defensive coach. My guess is he'll have a decent scheme dialed up. Our offense is vanilla and predictable so my guess is that Vandy will blitz and blitz often. We don't seem to have or execute plays to punish that. I think the offense will look putrid again Saturday.

I think Vandy wins this fairly comfortable somewhere in the 31-10 range.

Don't @ me. It's un-American.

TN will play inspired football. Vandy is not Mizzou.

Reactions: feathersax
There has been no logic with this team all year. Ala and Ga were pretty easy to predict, maybe WVU. They showed no reason to beat Auburn or Ky and I thought SC should have been a winnable game. A win or loss will not surprise me but my gut says Vandy goes bowling and Pruitt and staff hit the road to close strong with the recruits.

There has been no logic with this team all year. Ala and Ga were pretty easy to predict, maybe WVU. They showed no reason to beat Auburn or Ky and I thought SC should have been a winnable game. A win or loss will not surprise me but my gut says Vandy goes bowling and Pruitt and staff hit the road to close strong with the recruits.

This. Vandy is tougher than we are, and it will show.

VN Store

Back