'19 Recruiting Forum: Official South Carolina Pregame/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, October 26th
Game Time: 4:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Network: SEC
1571758973070.png

Tennessee returns from Alabama with another loss in the column, but feeling a lot better about the future after a hard fought loss to the Crimson Tide. The bad news is the Vols are sitting at 2-5. The good news, is Tennessee fans have not felt better about their team since about 10 seconds into the Georgia State game. Every game left on the schedule is a winnable game. They almost certainly will not win every game, but they have a reasonable chance to win any of them.

Keys to Victory:

1. QB or not QB... that is the question: For the second week in a row, Brian Maurer has sustained a head/neck injury that leaves his availability in doubt for the following game. No one really knows what is going on... whether it is truly a concussion, a neck strain, or something else. Because of this, we have no idea whether or not he is going to be available on Saturday. It's not a stretch to say the game hinges very much on whether Maurer is good to go (and finish) the game because we know what JG gives us and Shrout still has not gained the trust of the coaching staff. Don't expect an answer to this question till Saturday, as Pruitt will not show his cards until necessary.

2. OL Physicality: The Tennessee OL has really begun to come into it's own, though Darnell had a really rough night against Bama. South Carolina has beef on their DL, with Javon Kinlaw and LB DJ Wonnum being the stars of the defense. On the back-end, they have a talented secondary which creates all kinds of problems for opposing quarterbacks. Jake Fromm had an awful day as SC upset Georgia and Kyle Trask had a fair day, but the SC defense kept them in the game until late when the rug came out from under them.

Tennessee will need to have a Bama game like effort to neutralize the SC rush and seek to establish the running game in the likely absence of Brian Maurer.

3. TN WR Play: Will Muschamp is 100% aware that Chaney has no faith in JG to throw the ball downfield. This is concerning. He will have his corners sit all over the WR's in the short passing game and force TN to take chances downfield. If they are not able to beat the press coverage, it's going to be a long day. Israel Mukaumu had three INT's against UGA and returned one for a TD. Former Vol commitment Jaycee Horn is a star in the making. The TN WR corp needs to strap it on and be ready to carry some wood.

4. Feaster Famine: Former Clemson RB Tavien Feaster is finally realizing the potential that made him a highly recruited running back years ago. He is averaging 6 YPC on the year and blew Florida up for 175 yards at 7 YPC. Tennessee needs to see Feaster kept in check. QB Ryan Hillinski has been ok, but not stellar. In fact... outside of a bizarre 324 yard passing game against Bama... of all teams, he hasn't topped 200 yards in games against KY, Mizzou, UGA, or Florida. If Tennessee can eliminate turnovers and generate some offense, the next concern is Feaster.

Prediction: Without knowing the status of Brian Maurer, this becomes such a difficult call because it is literally a difference of 14 points on the field, IMO. A 14 point spread is easily the difference between these teams, so that being said...

With Maurer
TN 24
USC 21

Without Maurer
TN 10
USC 24

No disrespect to the player, per se, but I don't think he'd be a difference maker in the game anyways. Our run defense is pretty stout this year.

Still, any little bit that helps, I'll take.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicksjuzunk
It all comes down to Maurer. No way in hell we win with JG.
I was of the mind that perhaps it would be a good thing for CJP to go ahead and start JG, given his reasonably steady hand in the MSU win (assuming, of course, BM isn't able to go). Then I saw the replay and heard the analysis of Jordan Rogers on the fumble play and my head nearly exploded. I'm sure it's time to give JT a shot at it now. That was the stupidest play I've see in awhile. Both linebackers were cheating over toward the middle. How do you not see that? Hand off--TD. Man!

Vols win big this weekend. Statement game.
I like it and I agree!! This team is waiting to bust out, and has been improving a lot the last few weeks. If Maurer or JJ starts, I think we win by double digits. If one of the other 2 starts, then we win a close one.

#WINOUT

I look for Chaney to call a great game and the D to hold serve. And I expect a physical game with as many late hits, blatant holds and PI from SCAR as the refs will allow. Hope we're ready to defend Neyland, because Muschamp will strut in cocky and prepared to get a win any way he can.

I doubt we see JG anymore this year unless another injury occurs, JT will be playng when Maurer can't.

We're going to have to run for 300+ yards to win this game.

Need to own time of possession and our OL is going to have to just maul away. I'd legit consider having 6 guys on the OL, with Jahmir Johnson and/or Calbert playing as glorified TE's... with Austin Pope in the backfield. Rotate our best blocking receivers in and out of the game. Quick one read RPO's with all three primary backs in constant rotation to stay fresh. Try and let EG and Ty Chandler use their wiggle to try and bust runs. At least once a quarter take a shot on a 9 route to keep the defense from creeping up too much. Hell, throw in a flea flicker as well.

Might come down to the kickers in an ugly 13-10 type game.

If we win, are you coming off of the negabus? That's not a shot, just curious as to what you think.
If we win vs Scar it would be huge for the entire program. I'd certainly be more upbeat. We would only need to win 3 of the final 4 if we win Saturday, which is very doable

If we win vs Scar it would be huge for the entire program. I'd certainly be more upbeat. We would only need to win 3 of the final 4 if we win Saturday, which is very doable
I agree with that, and I think we may see some recruiting heat back up on a National Level. I think last week was Pruitt's statement loss so to speak, but we need to start dominating the back end of the schedule and the weaker teams in the East if we are ever going to turn this ship back around. I've been suspect about Pruitt till the 3 timeouts. I was in the stadium when it happened. He basically gave the Bamatards a big FU and I loved it. I got to be the only person standing up clapping in my section with a chorus of Bamatard boos. It was awesome. They wouldn't have him back down there after that moment.

Reactions: SmokinBob

VN Store

Back