'22 Recruiting Forum: Official LSU Pregame/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
1665006977133.png 1665007002249.png

Tennessee returns from a well timed bye week with a trip down to the Louisiana bayou. Tiger Stadium is always a tough venue but it should be a little more tame with an 11:00 CST kick-off time. This is Brian Kelly's first LSU team and they have gotten better throughout the season but will they have what it takes to match-up with the high powered Tennessee offense? Getting a slow start will create a slow burn in the crowd and by the time 3:00 rolls around, they will be fully engaged. Shut it down early.

Keys to Victory:

1. Start at 11:00 am: One of the keys to winning in a hostile road environment is getting a hot start and taking the crowd out of it before they get a chance to get going. If Tennessee can get a two score lead in the first quarter, they may be able to ride the momentum to victory.

2. Bend Less: Tennessee has used a 'bend but don't break' approach to defense this year. There has been bend... a LOT of bend. This typically has come in the form of soft zone coverage that gives quarterbacks spacious windows to throw within before they attempt to tighten up in the redzone. While is has worked so far in terms of wins and losses, it won't work forever and a a decent QB is going to exploit it to no end. Look for the Vols to continue with the same approach against Jayden Daniels, who simply is not very good as a passer. He completed a horrific 80 yards passing vs. Auburn so Tennessee will likely be very content to let him throw as they focus on shutting down the running game. I would like to see a more aggressive attack on defense though. If he can't pass well, why are we going to make it easy? Make him earn every bit of it. Just try to bend less, and certainly don't break.

3. Turnover Battle: It sounds like a lazy take, but turnovers will be key here. Auburn dominated LSU and loss with a 4-1 turnover ratio. In spite of gaining 168 more yards, it doesn't matter if you give it away before you hit the endzone. Hooker will eventually throw an interception, and we've had our share of fumbles. This is not a game where you can give away your chances.

4. Balance the Offense: The key to breaking down the LSU defense lies in balance and protecting the football. They are solid in pass and run defense, in spite of Auburn torching them through the air, and Heupel will be looking to take what they are giving him.

Prediction: Vol fans want this to be a big victory, but it's going to be much harder sledding than they expect. In spite of LSU being less than impressive in their performances and inconsistent, they are a play away from being an undefeated Top 10 team... one play away. No, they are not a complete product, but don't believe the narrative that they are not a good football team. Vols, closer than you'd like.

TN 24
LSU 21

I’m seeing this as a 34-24 type of game. I just don’t think they can consistently stop us and, while our D is having issues, their O isn’t spectacular either. They’ll score on us, but they’ll have some unsuccessful drives too.

Florida’s success on offense was, in part, due to their strategy of constant gambling. I don’t think we’re gonna face anyone else this year that gambles on that many 4th down attempts.

I could be wrong. We may struggle to score, but I just don’t see it. Here’s to being 5-0. Go Vols!

Oh, I look for another nail biter in the Death Valley. As much as we would love us to come out strong. I won’t believe it until I see it. Sold out stadium caught my attention and LSU defense will be fired up despite the 11 a.m. kickoff and that’s probably what the team will hang their hat on. . I’m still going with the good guys because I never bet against them. Vols 27 LSU 24. and down to the wire.

I corrected. I hate this damn phone. 🤬🤬🤬

Last edited:
Would a real Mod please merge this duplicate thread with the previously created game thread for the upcoming matchup with LSU. TYIA.

MERGE!!!
UnconsciousAgreeableGerenuk-max-1mb.gif

VN Store

Back