Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

tenor.gif
F68D99D6-1975-4AE4-A025-C52478BF3637.gif

Reactions: Glitch
All we can be sure of is what we've been told.

12 Common Words And Phrases With Racist Origins Or Connotations | HuffPost Life
To call a Black person articulate or “well-spoken” is to suggest that you expect the opposite to be true.
“When a non-Black person says to a Black person, ‘You are so articulate!’ what you are saying is that you are surprised they have a certain set of ‘acceptable’ linguistic skills, and here, ‘acceptable’ equates to ‘sounds white,’” Figueroa said. “This upholds the racist idea that the only way for Black people to be taken seriously is to sound white, when linguistically speaking, both ways of speaking are equally good.”

PS: I don't think you were being racist. I also can see how people of color could take issue.

I don't think your usage was being racist, actually. That was a joke.

However...

12 Common Words And Phrases With Racist Origins Or Connotations | HuffPost Life
It’s all about intent, is the person just being thoughtless or intentional? There is a huge difference, and I think that gets missed a lot… my grandparents generation… intentional, today? Mostly careless or unintentional, but it is always treated as such and rarely given the benefit of the doubt.. it’s amazing that we all even talk to one another at all lol (man/ woman/ different ethnicities).. it’s very tricky.. was the person trying to hurt someone? Ask them

Reactions: InVOLuntary
It’s all about intent, is the person just being thoughtless or intentional? There is a huge difference, and I think that gets missed a lot… my grandparents generation… intentional, today? Mostly careless or unintentional, but it is always treated as such and rarely given the benefit of the doubt.. it’s amazing that we all even talk to one another at all lol (man/ woman/ different ethnicities).. it’s very tricky.. was the person trying to hurt someone? Ask them
I once told a girlfriend thank you, for something she'd given me.

Apparently, that wasnt the right thing to say.

She now lives in Cali, and, is def one of those folks. Asked me on facebook why I didnt speak up more on SM.

Because I'm an adult.

I once told a girlfriend thank you, for something she'd given me.

Apparently, that wasnt the right thing to say.

She now lives in Cali, and, is def one of those folks. Asked me on facebook why I didnt speak up more on SM.

Because I'm an adult.
My neighbor, who is a female attorney from Chicago, got terribly miffed when the men held open the doors and elevators for her in Nashville lol.. I feel bad for y’all, you can’t win.. it’s like I told my son, you always need to display your manners, even if the other person is not receptive, that’s on them lol

This'll get moved too. And see my update.

I'd say this. There are two Biblical, relational principles that would solve the issue of racism today if everyone would apply them.

Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

1 Cor 13 -- if given the opportunity, assume the best in the actions of others, not the worst.

Problem is that we are in a culture that trains us to assume the worst intentuions/motives from everyone else that aren't like us.

My neighbor, who is a female attorney from Chicago, got terribly miffed when the men held open the doors and elevators for her in Nashville lol.. I feel bad for y’all, you can’t win.. it’s like I told my son, you always need to display your manners, even if the other person is not receptive, that’s on them lol
Mom used to stand at the door, rain, cold, sleet. Doesnt matter.

She's from NC, and, demanded it. Used to read from the book of etiquette at table. It's like that.

Had a co worker at our training recently, one of few people that ever notices it. It's just second nature.

This'll get moved too. And see my update.

I'd say this. There are two Biblical, relational principles that would solve the issue of racism today if everyone would apply them.

1 Cor 13 -- if given the opportunity, assume the best in the actions of others, not the worst.

Problem is that we are in a culture that trains us to assume the worst intentuions/motives from everyone else that aren't like us.
So true, and yes, we got moved, we are the bad posters lol

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Mom used to stand at the door, rain, cold, sleet. Doesnt matter.

She's from NC, and, demanded it. Used to read from the book of etiquette at table. It's like that.

Had a co worker at our training recently, one of few people that ever notices it. It's just second nature.
Lol I’m not quite that extreme, I’m going inside 😂 but yes, it is definitely something that is passed down, for a lot of people that’s all they had was their manners and not much else, I think that is why we cling to it so much

I shove old ladies out of the way to get to the door so I can hold it open for them. They always get mad. Old ladies are just ungrateful if you ask me.

I shove old ladies out of the way to get to the door so I can hold it open for them. They always get mad. Old ladies are just ungrateful if you ask me.
Ha! 😂 I’m not sure what she expects to happen.. she’s a character, we constantly shock each other with our takes on things lol.. I’m in my forties, and I have to admit if a man just happens to get to the door first and lets it slam in my face (it has happened) I’m going to think you are a butthole 😂

Last edited:
Lol I’m not quite that extreme, I’m going inside 😂 but yes, it is definitely something that is passed down, for a lot of people that’s all they had was their manners and not much else, I think that is why we cling to it so much
On the flipside, Dad was born out in the County.

May have been a few snorts and farts along the way. But hey, at the dinner table...

Conversely, when the Picadilly was open (RIP), Id sprint to the counter to avoid getting stuck behind or havin' to deal with purple haireds. Hell id alpha my way in there if the 'cough' 'im behind you,' didnt get results.

The farting and spitting would happen on way to the vehicle.

Conversely, when the Picadilly was open (RIP), Id sprint to the counter to avoid getting stuck behind or havin' to deal with purple haireds. Hell id alpha my way in there if the 'cough' 'im behind you,' didnt get results.

The farting and spitting would happen on way to the vehicle.
damn I had memory holed Piccadilly. Wow. We had one in Spartanburg, too. I was a child when they closed, but I remember always getting the chop steak and gravy and a jello lmao

Ha! 😂 I’m not sure what she expects to happen.. she’s a character, we constantly shock each other with our takes on things lol.. I’m in my forties, and I have to admit if a man just happens to get to the door first and lets it slam in my face (it has happened) I’m going to think you are a butthole 😂

My daughters try to hold the door for me sometimes and I refuse to go through a door held open by a lady/girl. They get mad (not really) at me when I hold the door and make them go in before I go in. lol

My daughters try to hold the door for me sometimes and I refuse to go through a door held open by a lady/girl. They get mad (not really) at me when I hold the door and make them go in before I go in. lol
It’s all very confusing 😂 I hold the door for everyone because I was a nurse for so long, so I go into helper mode lol

It's a sign they think you're old and feeble. They're probably already checking out nursing homes for you.

It’s all very confusing 😂 I hold the door for everyone because I was a nurse for so long, so I go into helper mode lol
I find it best to hold said door, open. Waive 'em on. Then kick their leg into their orher leg just as they crest the plane of the mall carpet. If you time it right you can get some great laughs.

10 pts for facial rugburn, 5 for bruised knee or elbow.

VN Store

Back