Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I think blind nationalism is a bad thing, but I think the vast majority of today's youth are grossly ignorant to the privileges' they have from living in the US.

They need less time on social media and more time traveling. I have quite a few friends/co-workers that are foreign and their world views and thoughts on the US are quite different than these young adults who've never been anywhere outside their own neighborhood.
Was watching a documenttary of drugs last night, and the footage from spain was striking. Seemed to be fewer constitutional protections per searches of persons and property. It was literally police telling citizens up against the wall for a pat-down and submitting their backpacks to be dumped. No other cause or due process. They were just walking and police were on the lookout for potential spotters for drug smugglers.

Yes it’s the “traitors” in education - absurd to me that people despise education in this country - and not the fault of the parents who raised them.

Just like a lot of people in this country to blame others for their own failures. I get it, the truth is scary and uncomfortable. But those kids didn’t F themselves up. And neither did their educators.
I don't despise education....I despise educators teaching garbage.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I think loving your country is a good thing to a degree. You sure as hell don't want to depend on this generation to defend it.
You also don't want any generation to blindly trust the gov't. The same gov't that our grandparents selflessly served and supported abused their kids with MK-Ultra and such. We need patriots that support the constitution, not any old thing a government wants to do. That's not patriotism.

You also don't want any generation to blindly trust the gov't. The same gov't that our grandparents selflessly served and supported abused their kids with MK-Ultra and such. We need patriots that support the constitution, not any old thing a government wants to do. That's not patriotism.
I agree with that also. Japan was basically able to create a whole nation of fanatical brainwashed serial killer sociopaths and unleashed them on the world...

There HAS to be a happy medium. A way you can teach inconvenient truths without totally tearing everything down to nothing and ripping it apart at the seams.

Yes it’s the “traitors” in education - absurd to me that people despise education in this country - and not the fault of the parents who raised them.

Just like a lot of people in this country to blame others for their own failures. I get it, the truth is scary and uncomfortable. But those kids didn’t F themselves up. And neither did their educators.

Parents abdicated their role in the children's education for far too long. The whole, "Well, that is the schools job to teach them that!", attitude was rampant. Some of the more liberal leaning educators took that and went a little further and a little further. When the parents didn't complain they took it as a mandate. Most parents were happy not to have to have "the talk" with their kids. They found it uncomfortable and people don't want to be uncomfortable so let the school handle it. Covid caused a lot of parents to re-engage and they are appalled at some of the things that are being taught or are trying to be taught to kids as young as 4 and 5. A lot of what we are seeing now is the over-reaction back in the other direction that was probably inevitable at some point. There has to be a partnership between the parents, students, and schools. Everyone must be engaged for success. I do think that gender and sexual education should be the realm of the parents and the schools should stay out of it. Nothing is cut and dry though. Basically, what we have is a giant s*** sammich and errybody is having to take a big ole bite right now.

You have this odd habit of attributing hate to people who have different views than you.

"They disagree with me on policy toward poor people so they hate poor people. They disagree with some of public eduction's curricula so they hate education."

It's an incredibly lazy way to think and discuss.

Just a FYI.

Parents abdicated their role in the children's education for far too long. The whole, "Well, that is the schools job to teach them that!", attitude was rampant. Some of the more liberal leaning educators took that and went a little further and a little further. When the parents didn't complain they took it as a mandate. Most parents were happy not to have to have "the talk" with their kids. They found it uncomfortable and people don't want to be uncomfortable so let the school handle it. Covid caused a lot of parents to re-engage and they are appalled at some of the things that are being taught or are trying to be taught to kids as young as 4 and 5. A lot of what we are seeing now is the over-reaction back in the other direction that was probably inevitable at some point. There has to be a partnership between the parents, students, and schools. Everyone must be engaged for success. I do think that gender and sexual education should be the realm of the parents and the schools should stay out of it. Nothing is cut and dry though. Basically, what we have is a giant s*** sammich and errybody is having to take a big ole bite right now.
Ding, ding, ding!

Reactions: InVOLuntary
You have this odd habit of attributing hate to people who have different views than you.

"They disagree with me on policy toward poor people so they hate poor people. They disagree with some of public eduction's curricula so they hate education."

Just a FYI.
I don't hate education. I hate indoctrination....two totally different things.

Just a FYI.

He literally said the “traitors in education”. You call a lot of people you like “traitors” or ?

He didn’t say “I disagree with some of public education’s curricula” lol. But sure, it’s me putting words in his mouth, and not his actual words, that display hate towards opposing thought patterns.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou
He literally said the “traitors in education”. You call a lot of people you like “traitors” or ?

He didn’t say “I disagree with some of public education’s curricula” lol. But sure, it’s me putting words in his mouth, and not his actual words, that display hate towards opposing thought patterns.
You equate the educators to the product? If teachers were indoctrinating into traitorous thoughts, or dogma that undermined the nation, then he could have opinions about them while loving education. As a matter of fact, the stronger his appreciation for education, the stronger his dislike for those who were damagint it may be.

It's a dangerous thing to make education/educators synonymous.

Examples:

Have someone teach your kid false multiplication tables, and you know they are setting them up for failure in life. You could call the person out *because* of your respect for the multiplication tables.

Polemics within faith. When two Bible teachers disagree about doctrine, they can call each other out BECAUSE they respect the Bible.

It sounds like the poster has a great deal of respect for the importance of education, and its effect of society, thus he has strong feelings about those he feels are abusing and damaging it.

Again making the educator and the education synonymous is pretty dangerous. What if public policy indoctrinated every kid into Christianity, Islam, or White Supremecy? Would you feel the same way? That the educator and the education were synonymous and shouldn't be questioned? Would you roll your eyes if someone claimed that to disagree with them was a hatred for education?

Last edited:
If there is a distinction, it's a blurred one at best. Probably safe to say that you care what the state is indoctrinatig into.
Fair....but teaching reading, writing and arithmetic isn't in anyway indoctrination. That 💩 comes when they get into subjects like social studies, history and literature.

There have got to be instructional texts out in our world that give a fair assessment of those three areas without leaning to far to one side or the other. History is full of crappy stuff that should probably be learned, but we have to choose what are the most important topics. Maybe kids should be allowed to opt out of art and music and sign up for history and literature classes that go more in depth about how human culture has changed and evolved over the years and how much further we have to go as a species.... assuming we don't kill ourselves off before we can get there.

Fair....but teaching reading, writing and arithmetic isn't in anyway indoctrination. That 💩 comes when they get into subjects like social studies, history and literature.
Sure it is. Well, maybe depending on how strict you distinguish between definition one and two:

in·doc·tri·nate
/inˈdäktrəˌnāt/
Learn to pronounce

verb

1. teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
    "broadcasting was a vehicle for indoctrinating the masses"
    • ARCHAIC
      teach or instruct (someone).
      "he indoctrinated them in systematic theology"

These are the multiplication tables. Memorize them. They are coorect and you need them.

Why are they correct?

Because they are. You missed half of them. That's a 50% An F. You failed?

Nuh uh. To me, that's 70%, and 70% is an A+.

Not around here.

This is the alphabet, and each letter corresponds to a certain sound. They are combined by these rules to form words.

Why?

Because those are the rules.

It's all indoctriination. And we can all have opinions on what subjects are up for inoctrination, and to what degree within those subject.

To agree with @Glitch and @MarcoVol, the major problem in our country is that parents have abdicated the responsibilities of teaching their kids, and are now shocked, offended and horrified with what the state has chosen to do in their absence. i.e. what the parents, corporately, have allowed.

You could probably add to that that we have accepted and created a society that convinces kids that they can never have a future without submitting themselves to the higher education indoctrination, which at least on the liberal arts side is teaching postmodernism and relative truth.

Get that, we are pressuring kids to be taught that no one is really able to teach them because there really is no truth.

That'll be $100,000 for your confusion.

Mr-Incredible-math-gif.gif

Was watching a documenttary of drugs last night, and the footage from spain was striking. Seemed to be fewer constitutional protections per searches of persons and property. It was literally police telling citizens up against the wall for a pat-down and submitting their backpacks to be dumped. No other cause or due process. They were just walking and police were on the lookout for potential spotters for drug smugglers.

You obviously havent seen an episode of The Wire.

VN Store

Back