Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some people have somewhat scoffed at mentions of us being #2 in returning production. The common rebuttal being something along the lines of "but if you're returning mediocre players, then what is that really worth?" And that is where some judgments and estimations can be made to adjust for how good said returning players have been...or just let Bill C. do the leg work for us.

Bill C. applies the returning production to last year's S&P+ metric. Using this, he ranks our returning production as 28th. Fwiw he has our preseason S&P+ ranking as 21st.

2019’s projected 130-team S&P+ rankings, from Bama to UTEP

I think the raw returning production numbers are a better data point to use for analysis than Bill’s adjustments and the principle reason is he doesn’t include the offensive line for the offense and he doesn’t distinguish between the position groups on defense either.

The offensive line in the SEC is the heart and soul of the offense. So last year he had Florida at #21 in total raw returning production but because of their 4-7 record in 2017 he adjusted their overall returning production down to #62. He had them ranked overall at #32 preseason but by the end of the season they had climbed all the way up to #9 in his analysis.

Phil Steele had Florida’s offensive line ranked as #9 in the nation based on returning career starts. Bill can’t seemed to figure out when that matters and when it doesn’t. If you have good skill positions, see Auburn who he adjusted their returning production last year up from a raw ranking of #47 to an adjusted ranking of #6 preseason because they had a good season in 2017, but don’t have an offensive line (#114 according to Phil Steele). then you’re going to have a hard time doing anything consistently on the offensive side of the ball.

I think the same applies on defense. The secondary is critical regardless of whether you are in a 4-3 or 3-4 so he relies for the most part on returning production for the secondary. In reality in a 4-3 the defensive line is more important than the linebackers and in a 3-4 the linebackers are more important than the defensive line. He doesn’t even try to capture the differences from what I can see. He uses a cookie cutter approach and because he doesn’t have a lot of competent competition it’s good enough. And now since ESPN bought him off, both FPI and S&P+ are under the same roof.

When these guys come out with their numbers I try to dig into them to see what they’re based on and then see if that makes sense to me. For example, Jesse Simonton wrote an article in May in which he declared that based on his deep-dive into the PFF database we had the worst redzone offense in the SEC last year. That was incredibly misleading if not patently false. We had the 4th best red-zone offense in the conference last year and were ranked first against conference competition. We were 2nd best in the conference at scoring TDs against fellow SEC teams when we were in the red-zone. He measures our red-zone offense by the absolute total number of TDs we score from the red-zone and consequently misses the forest because of the trees. The facts are that if we got into the red-zone last year we had tremendous success. Our problem was not being able to get into the red-zone in the first place not what we did when we actually did make it. I could not believe that he would write something so stupidly absurd.

Anyway, my point is, when the guys publish their opinions, it’s most often my experience that before you bet the farm, either way, you should exercise a bit of scrutiny on their basis and methodology for developing such opinions, no matter who they are. Due diligence. No one can do that for you, well, except me. You can trust me. jmo.

Alright lads here it is

Georgia State (Auto): W
BYU (This one may be close): W
Chattanooga (Auto): W
Florida (Need one more year): L
Georgia (Too much talent): L
Mississippi State (50/50): ?
Alabama (Lol no): L

South Carolina (60/40 Vols): ?
UAB (Closer than we would like): W
Kentucky (It's Kentucky): W
@Missouri (40-60 Zoo): ?
Vanderbilt (MUST WIN): W

Between 6 and 8 wins is very very likely.

*IF* We can win our last four or five regular season games AND win the bowl, heading into the offseason the hype train will start up strongly.
Agree on all of it

Daughter got me a year’s subscription to ESPN+ for Father’s Day. Express purpose for me to watch Peyton’s Places which was supposed to premiere July 15...can’t find the episode anywhere. Anybody else have better luck?

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
To all my Braves fans, is management going to spend the money to get a closer before the trade deadline? My word, Jackson is terrible! The funny thing is that Swarzak has been pitching great...why not try changing the roles, and let Jackson be the set up man and Swarzak close?
The Braves suck ass....that's all.

Reactions: Chuckie and mrMet
We have got to start beating Vandy again.

It’s flat out unacceptable to lose to them.
Especially when you live in the Nashville area. All 20 diehard Vandy fans are here as well as the 100 or so bandwagon/I hate UT douchers. Boat race 'em , don't let off the gas, don't pull your starters, pass pass pass kinda butt whoopin'.

Alright lads here it is

Georgia State (Auto): W
BYU (This one may be close): W
Chattanooga (Auto): W
Florida (Need one more year): L
Georgia (Too much talent): L
Mississippi State (50/50): ?
Alabama (Lol no): L

South Carolina (60/40 Vols): ?
UAB (Closer than we would like): W
Kentucky (It's Kentucky): W
@Missouri (40-60 Zoo): ?
Vanderbilt (MUST WIN): W

Between 6 and 8 wins is very very likely.

*IF* We can win our last four or five regular season games AND win the bowl, heading into the offseason the hype train will start up strongly.
Hope I don't jinx this but it's great to see a more positive Cat...

I used to do heroin and meth together...I just thought I was a drug addict till I started that..sometimes we would snort a line of cocaine on top of it just to get a lil extra kick...Back then we called it speedballin...mixing uppers and downers.

In a side note, we used to get special K from time to time, but I never liked the high no matter what I did it with.
:cool:

Daughter got me a year’s subscription to ESPN+ for Father’s Day. Express purpose for me to watch Peyton’s Places which was supposed to premiere July 15...can’t find the episode anywhere. Anybody else have better luck?
Stinking ESPN

Finally make a good show, then make it subscription based

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back