Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was if these two coaches switched teams (Barnes gets the current Kentucky team and Cal the current Tennessee team) then which team would be better? I think it's obvious that Barnes would be better because this Tennessee team is better than that Kentucky team with a heckuva lot less talent.

Well that’s what I’m saying it’s easy to look at this year and say barnes is better or whatever. But if you told me you could have barnes or cal for the next 5-10 years at Tennessee. I don’t think anyone would honestly take Barnes no matter how much they love them.

Well that’s what I’m saying it’s easy to look at this year and say barnes is better or whatever. But if you told me you could have barnes or cal for the next 5-10 years at Tennessee. I don’t think anyone would honestly take Barnes no matter how much they love them.
I would still take Barnes because he's built this in 4 years. He's getting better talent in but he's looking for the same mindset as the current players. This program will only get better with that combination

Calipari focuses on getting his players in and out as quick as possible. Winning and the NBA is all that matters.

Barnes focuses on developing you into a great man. We've seen a lot of love from his former players that leads us to believe our head coach is truly a special person and mentor. He takes the call to coach very seriously and I think we're lucky to have him. Oh and also he wins a lot.

Would not take Cal over him for one second.

Honestly, it was a great comeback by Duke. Yes, Louisville wilted, but Duke still had to make those plays and they turned up the pressure to force those steals. They also still had to make those 3's. I wanted Duke to lose, but in the end, it does not matter, as many have said. We keep winning and, at worst, we should be the number 2 overall seed.

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
so we're ready to trade coaches huh? we're good, but maybe just not good enough...time to look elsewhere becuase this guy might not do whatever. totally get it.

this is why we can't have nice things for long. always looking at the other side of the fence...man that grass sure is green.

not real sure why this is even a conversation. we're doing things this basket ball program has NEVER DONE. lol.
some of y'all kill me with this stuff.

i guess we've enjoyed our success a little too much, huh?

We also don't know if Barnes just struck gold with the unexpected development of guys like Schofield, Williams, Bone, Turner, Bowden. Obviously he deserves a ton of credit for this team's chemistry and player development, but can he repeat that success down the road with other sub top 200 guys?
If it were one or two of those guys, then sure. But the fact that we have so many who have progressed so much over the past few years makes me fairly certain we didn't just get lucky.

Also, I doubt that we'll be looking at rosters of sub-200 guys in the future. Barnes hasn't been successful here simply because he's not going after blue-chips. He's winning because he's decided to go with system-fits over highly-rated guys that aren't a fit. I think starting now (already begun with Josiah James) we'll start to see more recruits that are a combination of both of those things.

Calipari focuses on getting his players in and out as quick as possible. Winning and the NBA is all that matters.

Barnes focuses on developing you into a great man. We've seen a lot of love from his former players that leads us to believe our head coach is truly a special person and mentor. He takes the call to coach very seriously and I think we're lucky to have him. Oh and also he wins a lot.

Would not take Cal over him for one second.

Exactly. What happens when Barnes gets the talent level of players that Cal gets? That is what is underway. Barnes will win 2/3 or 3/4 of the head to head match-ups while still producing quality people. Occasionally you get a one and done who is legit as a player and a person, but it is the exception as compared to the rule. Many elite guys are figuring out lately that they are not going to be ready to make it in life as well as basketball in one collegiate season. That's who Barnes recruits in addition to the usual under-valued quality players with strong upside.

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
Honestly, it was a great comeback by Duke. Yes, Louisville wilted, but Duke still had to make those plays and they turned up the pressure to force those steals. They also still had to make those 3's. I wanted Duke to lose, but in the end, it does not matter, as many have said. We keep winning and, at worst, we should be the number 2 overall seed.

Louisville coach should be fired. He obviously had not prepared his team for a zone press. His players turned the ball over when they tried to dribble out of a double team instead of passing the ball. Or they made sloppy passes that were picked off and Duke seemed to score off every TO. Worst choke job I have ever seen at any level in my 50+ years watching BB.

Heck, the HS team that I played on years ago was coached better on the zone press than Louisville's team.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
so we're ready to trade coaches huh? we're good, but maybe just not good enough...time to look elsewhere becuase this guy might not do whatever. totally get it.

this is why we can't have nice things for long. always looking at the other side of the fence...man that grass sure is green.

not real sure why this is even a conversation. we're doing things this basket ball program has NEVER DONE. lol.
some of y'all kill me with this stuff.

i guess we've enjoyed our success a little too much, huh?
Preach.. I wouldn't trade Rick Barnes for anyone. Regardless of what happens in the future, when has Tennessee performed like this? I will also mention the caliber of men that Barnes recruits.-- the ones who will go into your community and do good.

We also don't know if Barnes just struck gold with the unexpected development of guys like Schofield, Williams, Bone, Turner, Bowden. Obviously he deserves a ton of credit for this team's chemistry and player development, but can he repeat that success down the road with other sub top 200 guys?
yeah, it IS obvious. you don't just luck in to 6 guys developing like this group has. lol.

and sometimes you just get a group together and it works. the process of development will most certainly be the same. that doesn't mean every group will have the same chemistry, like this one.

the recruiting is what it is, and i think it's on the up swing with kids like James jumping on board.

but really, should we care about any of that right now????

we're in the midst of what could be the greatest season we've ever had, and we're already looking for reasons why he's going to suck later on???

just. don't. get. it.

what happened to "enjoy the journey"????

Louisville coach should be fired. He obviously had not prepared his team for a zone press. His players turned the ball over when they tried to dribble out of a double team instead of passing the ball. Or they made sloppy passes that were picked off and Duke seemed to score off every TO. Worst choke job I have ever seen at any level in my 50+ years watching BB.

Heck, the HS team that I played on years ago was coached better on the zone press than Louisville's team.
They definitely were not ready. I don't think that he should be fired. But, he obviously needs to fix it.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Hank doesn't seem to be mentioning the fact that Cal has left a trail of recruiting violations at every school he's coached at (with the exception of Kentucky, so far). Those UMass and Memphis teams had those postseason victories vacated. Cal's a great recruiter and a good hype man for his players getting to the next level. Other than that, his systems are rudimentary drive and kick, where he's relying on the talent of his players to get em over the top. Given Tennessee's roster 2 years ago, Cal could have never accomplished what Coach Barnes can do. I want to win, but I want to win with players that stay.
Another thing about Cal's teams is that you get a flipped roster almost every year. He finally is starting to get some continuity, but he still has a lot of one and dones. I personally like getting to know players as people over a 3-4 year span.

Reactions: ngavolgirl
Reading Rucker gives me a headache. I feel like he gives such a big run-around sometimes.

I wish some of you guys would write articles. Or make podcasts. I would rather listen to some of y'all than most of the Vols media folks to be honest.

Good message tho I suppose.
Power T Talk by @TBrown and @zjcvols is a really good podcast and it is done by the locals here. Highly recommend you giving it a shot. They cover Vols football, basketball, and various other sports and gambling at the end. They’re coming out with a recruiting recap soon.

They definitely were not ready. I don't think that he should be fired. But, he obviously needs to fix it.
what i couldn't believe is how every single player on that Louisville team for the last 7 minutes of the game didn't want the ball.

they choked BADLY. i thnk they had like 7 turnovers or something in the last few minutes of the game.

that team lacks leadership. and the coach couldn't provide it in lieu of having a floor general. they wiltd when the lights came on, Duke didn't. credit duke for for the effort and tenacity to keep plugging away. but Louisville provided MULTIPLE opportunities for them to do so....you don't make 23 pt comebacks in the last 8 minutes of the game w/out both of those things happening.

Louisville is better than people thought at the beginning of the season. they are not a championship caliber team right now and last night at least proved that in spades.

We should definitely have a Volnation Recruiting Forum Podcast.

Seems like one started awhile back and I listened to it and enjoyed it but not sure where it went. It may have been football forum guys tho I can't remember.

Would be fun if there was 1 or 2 every week hosts and you brought a different poster on every week. Or had a call-in type show and let posters call in live and ask questions. Or whatever. And it could be full of inside jokes and Bass freakouts and everything.

Ok rant over. Just an idea I had to throw out there. Somebody go run with it!

Power T Talk by @TBrown and @zjcvols is a really good podcast and it is done by the locals here. Highly recommend you giving it a shot. They cover Vols football, basketball, and various other sports and gambling at the end. They’re coming out with a recruiting recap soon.

Awesome I will definitely check that out.

yeah, it IS obvious. you don't just luck in to 6 guys developing like this group has. lol.

and sometimes you just get a group together and it works. the process of development will most certainly be the same. that doesn't mean every group will have the same chemistry, like this one.

the recruiting is what it is, and i think it's on the up swing with kids like James jumping on board.

but really, should we care about any of that right now????

we're in the midst of what could be the greatest season we've ever had, and we're already looking for reasons why he's going to suck later on???

just. don't. get. it.

what happened to "enjoy the journey"????

Enjoying the journey and pondering the future of the program and the circumstances that created this best in school history (thus far) season aren't mutually exclusive. Especially on a message board which is designed to, you know, have discussions and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back