Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who knew him all the way back to his HS coaching days always said this

I have a very good friend who had him as a teacher in high school. My buddy is a MSU alum but didn't like him even in high school. I am not sure that his religion is fake, but he certainly used it to his advantage.

I was bored last night and rewatched some of the defense in the Orange and white game and noticed something I hadn't before: Dillon Bates was actually on the field quite a bit as a 3rd linebacker. He was often lined up out wide over a slot receiver or TE if they flexed out the TE.

It will be interesting to see how much more 4-3 looks we'll see in 2017 and who will get the nod there. If Bates was playing as the 3rd LB in spring, maybe Shoop is wanting to plug in more of a rangy OLB than a SLB type. That would be somewhat in line with what he's done at past stops in using a SS/OLB hybrid type of player at times. If he goes that route, we might end up seeing Sapp out there if he's ready to go. Might also be part of the reason Elliot Berry dropped so much weight this offseason.

Also of note: Austin Smith and Bituli were on the field together at times (Smith seemed to be playing WLB, behind McDowell but ahead of Reid).

There were two things in the spring about abates that had me curious about his role this fall.

1. Shop said that we would play more 4-3 instead of nickel this year. And the SAM LB was going to have to cover the TE and RB in pass coverage more.

2. Shop said Bates was working at nickel most of spring because of injuries and depth. If I combine this with 1., I figure Bates was getting prepared for pass coverage out of the 4-3

They are still in fantasy land.

Next coach discussion:

Chip Kelly
Bob Stoops
Les Miles
Justin Fuente
Mike Norvell
Derek Mason
Lane Kiffin

Ole Miss, you will get some guy from South Dakota named Jeff, who earned his chops on Madden 96

Reactions: 10 people
Ole Miss sucks. You don't spend 40 something years in the cellar and then all of the sudden become a juggernaut in recruiting and on the field that fast. Back to the cellar they go, where they belong.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back