Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butch's last four hires:

Scott
Shoop
Gullickson
Warren

So looking at this list, where does the belief that he only makes weak/ crony hires come from? Is it only from when he hired Debord( which worked out pretty alright, IMO)? From looking at his hires, it appears that he tries to get the best available hire that will work within his system to me.

Reactions: 19 people
I am told that Kevin O'Connell much prefers to stay in the NFL per an NFL coach last week. Also am told watch for him possibly w/ Jags since Chip Kelly just got the OC job there.
Both Weinke & Canales want the QB job at UT. I am told Weinke has delayed some NFL interview options bc he wants the UT spot.
-Brice

Reactions: 16 people
Butch's last four hires:

Scott
Shoop
Gullickson
Warren

So looking at this list, where does the belief that he only makes weak/ crony hires come from? Is it only from when he hired Debord( which worked out pretty alright, IMO)? From looking at his hires, it appears that he tries to get the best available hire that will work within his system to me.

It's been parroted ever since he made his "best staff in America" comment in his opening press conference. It's a fallback for when people want to criticize and it's been said so much that people believe it regardless

Butch's last four hires:

Scott
Shoop
Gullickson
Warren

It was probably a good hire, but Gullickson WAS in Butch's wedding.

Just pointing out that that one is a bad example of your point, not commenting on the point itself.

Just pointing out that that one is a bad example of your point, not commenting on the point itself.

While I don't disagree, it also makes another seperate point that Butch not only had ties to great personnel resources but could get them to buy in and join him at UT. I didn't buy the best staff in America comment, but you can argue he's improved with each hire he's made in his tenure here.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Fulmer will do a good job. The man loves the Vols and can help Butch in a big way.

I think the help that he could give Butch will be highly overstated. Fulmer's weaknesses as a coach were very similar to Butch's weaknesses. Fulmer seems like a guy who has trouble admitting his own mistakes, so I'm not sure the value he would bring there.

The potential lack of prioritization for basketball concerns me.

Would be a terrific ambassador for the university and a great fundraiser. Never have to worry about where his loyalties lie.

Overall, I take DB over Fulmer 10 out of 10 times. I'd slightly prefer Fulmer over Gilbert solely on account of being a UT guy.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the help that he could give Butch will be highly overstated. Fulmer's weaknesses as a coach were very similar to Butch's weaknesses. Fulmer seems like a guy who has trouble admitting his own mistakes, so I'm not sure the value he would bring there.

The potential lack of prioritization for basketball concerns me.

Would be a terrific ambassador for the university and a great fundraiser. Never have to worry about where his loyalties lie.

Overall, I take DB over Fulmer 10 out of 10 times. I'd slightly prefer Fulmer over Gilbert solely on account of being a UT guy.

Agree

Pretty interesting that we would hire a person to be AD and in control over all UT athletics, but we fired him because he ran the football program into the ground. Not saying that is my opinion, but I'm already hearing this being put out there. It's how we do it at UT.

You know how they say to never do business with family? Well, the AD is a business. And when you hire a "family" member to run it, it makes the break-up/divorce process so much harder and messier if things go bad.

I think he was AT his wedding and that has morphed into he was IN the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back