Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give em hell Bruin. I'd join their site to watch you work.

I am dead serious and I think their site would explode by thousands to watch the three of you work them over. I might be able to dedicate some serious time to reading it.

Please do it. Not asking any of you all to necessarily leave here but I would laugh for days.

Reactions: 3 people
You're not alone. He's not an elite talent at WR. He's a mid-level SEC talent at WR. He still needs to do more though and produce more than he has.

P. Williams is an elite talent though.

How can you say one is and one isn't? Neither has done anything.

Reactions: 1 person
Elite WRs need the ball in the air to make plays. Limited opportunities lead to limited results. I'm not ready to categorize all our WRs taken over the last 3 years as mediocre. They can't put up impressive stats trying to open up a running lane on a toss play to the RB.

Lol it doesn't make sense.

Yeah. It's almost like I have eyes and I have watched both of them play. Is there a specific threshold a WR needs to hit in terms of yards or catches before one can judge their talent level?

Malone is a decent to good talent. He's not really anywhere near the elite guys in this league though. I think Williams has the ability to be with his ability to high point and win the ball, his route-running, and his quickness in and out of breaks. Malone doesn't have those same skills.

The expectations on him, from his overrated recruiting profile, are too high. He can still be a productive player in this league, but he's not going to be an elite WR.

Reactions: 2 people
Has anyone heard much about ST coaching/expectations for 2016?

ST were definitely a strength last year (with the exception of FG), and we have a lot of talent returning (Berry, Sutton, Daniel, Kamara). I'm just curious how Elder's departure will impact this unit.

I'm not trying to be a negavol, but the hype train seems to ignore that ST may regress in 2016. Just wanted some of your thoughts.

Yeah. It's almost like I have eyes and I have watched both of them play. Is there a specific threshold a WR needs to hit in terms of yards or catches before one can judge their talent level?

Malone is a decent to good talent. He's not really anywhere near the elite guys in this league though. I think Williams has the ability to be with his ability to high point and win the ball, his route-running, and his quickness in and out of breaks. Malone doesn't have those same skills.

The expectations on him, from his overrated recruiting profile, are too high. He can still be a productive player in this league, but he's not going to be an elite WR.
Again.... You're judging PW off potential as well... Because, based off last year alone he did not look like the best wr in his class. Injury or not.

Arkansas game?? Did we forget? For example

Last edited:
Has anyone heard much about ST coaching/expectations for 2016?

ST were definitely a strength last year (with the exception of FG), and we have a lot of talent returning (Berry, Sutton, Daniel, Kamara). I'm just curious how Elder's departure will impact this unit.

I'm not trying to be a negavol, but the hype train seems to ignore that ST may regress in 2016. Just wanted some of your thoughts.

If I recall, it was reported last year that each coach is responsible for a specific unit of ST (kickoff return, kickoff defense, etc), which IMO allows each unit to become elite with each coach focusing on one specific aspect of ST.

Bumped all those threads instead of putting it in one post just to give some an idea that despite any recent negativity, we are still in on a TON of elite talent not only this year, but next as well. Sorry i'm not sorry.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHw7KwrTnc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WsKUpA75qA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nWHoEltGl8[/youtube]

The Eli one is the best, IMO.

Reactions: 5 people
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHw7KwrTnc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WsKUpA75qA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nWHoEltGl8[/youtube]

The Eli one is the best, IMO.

"Keep on working...longggg as you can" is mine. :)

Again.... You're judging PW off potential as well... Because, based off last year alone he did not look like the best wr in his class. Injury or not.

Arkansas game?? Did we forget? For example

Of course I am. I never said I wasn't basing it on potential. We're talking about their observed talent, not actual production.

Malone is a guy I want on my team based on his potential, because I think he can be a good player, but his potential isn't elite All-SEC WR.

It's just my opinion (and one I know I share with others), but I just think expectations are way too high on Malone and have been since he got here due to his rivals profile. I just don't think he's that type of player. Luckily I do think we have a couple on our roster who can be, and I still think Malone can be a good player.

And I'll be as happy as anybody if he proves me wrong. I want TN kids to ball out wearing orange, but I think people are reaching when they talk about how physically talented he is.

Luckily practice starts next Monday.

Time to provide my opinion on the elite talent chat between Malone & Williams. Josh Malone is talented for sure. I just don't see any elite talent in him. Is it lack of effort? Is it his attitude? Is it his lack of motivation?

Many things could be holding him back. He is not an elite WR though. He should be after coming out of high school a mix between 4* & 5* status from different recruiting services. Hopefully though in 2016 he can still do what he's very capable of doing on that field & that's be a very good WR.

Now, onto Preston Williams. He's an elite WR even though he's really not showed any signs of elite on the field yet. You can tell though from the way he plays he has elite status. Word is this past spring he has proven to be an elite WR type talent.

He would be the only elite type WR we would have on the 2016 roster but I'm telling you guys that Tyler Byrd will be elite starting his sophomore season. He will see the field in 2016 in special packages & special teams but starting in 2017 Byrd will show his elite type talent at WR & in the return game.

Elite WRs need the ball in the air to make plays. Limited opportunities lead to limited results. I'm not ready to categorize all our WRs taken over the last 3 years as mediocre. They can't put up impressive stats trying to open up a running lane on a toss play to the RB.

All the while Josh Smith has looked really good, as well as Pig.

Time to provide my opinion on the elitetalent chat between Malone & Williams. Josh Malone is talented for sure. I just don't see any elite talent in him. Is it lack of effort? Is it his attitude? Is it his lack of motivation?

Many things could be holding him back. He is not an elite WR though. He should be after coming out of high school a mix between 4* & 5* status from different recruiting services. Hopefully though in 2016 he can still do what he's very capable of doing on that field & that's be a very good WR.

Now, onto Preston Williams. He's an elite WR even though he's really not showed any signs of elite on the field yet. You can tell though from the way he plays he has elite status. Word is this past spring he has proven to be an elite WR type talent.

He would be the only elite type WR we would have on the 2016 roster but I'm telling you guys that Tyler Byrd will be elite starting his sophomore season. He will see the field in 2016 in special packages & special teams but starting in 2017 Byrd will show his elite type talent at WR & in the return game.

92ce22b866acff3aeee06cd67fddb7bf.jpg

And how do you "prove" an opinion from Spring Practice? :hmm:

Reactions: 2 people
92ce22b866acff3aeee06cd67fddb7bf.jpg

And how do you "prove" an opinion from Spring Practice? :hmm:

He was an elite WR before spring practice. I was just saying how well he had performed in spring practice.

Doesn't have anything to do whether he's elite or not. He is elite! I think we're going to see that pretty soon as long as he can stay healthy Mr. butchna! :)

He was an elite WR before spring practice. I was just saying how well he had performed in spring practice.

Doesn't have anything to do whether he's elite or not. He is elite! I think we're going to see that pretty soon as long as he can stay healthy Mr. butchna! :)

Hope you're right but until it's a FACT it's an OPINION. Stating it as such doesn't hurry the process. :hi:

Of course I am. I never said I wasn't basing it on potential. We're talking about their observed talent, not actual production.

Malone is a guy I want on my team based on his potential, because I think he can be a good player, but his potential isn't elite All-SEC WR.

It's just my opinion (and one I know I share with others), but I just think expectations are way too high on Malone and have been since he got here due to his rivals profile. I just don't think he's that type of player. Luckily I do think we have a couple on our roster who can be, and I still think Malone can be a good player.

And I'll be as happy as anybody if he proves me wrong. I want TN kids to ball out wearing orange, but I think people are reaching when they talk about how physically talented he is.

Luckily practice starts next Monday.

My thoughts on the issue, more or less. Neither have proven anything yet.

Preston stands out a little more, to me, with his physical attributes/potential.

Hope they both reach their full potential and ball out for us these next couple years. Lord knows we need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back