Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the hire will come before the next Official visit which is Jan 15.

Could also be the dealbreaker with Mecole Hardman.

I look at it as more of a respect thing. If I am DeBord and have a year on the job with the offense and run game setting records, would I dislike the new guy coming in the door on the other side of the ball making 2-3X more than I do? I probably would not. I don't think it's a coincidence that our OC/DCs have all made about the same money here under Butch.

respect was giving him a job that did not involve pools

Reactions: Weezer

Doubt it has much of an impact on Hardman. Our best hope is that Butch somehow wins out in that one. The only scenario I could envision is that Hardman decides he wants to be a WR and comes to the school that has wanted him there all along.

We aren't going to woo him with a DC hire when his favorite coach is a DC at bama.

I'm wondering if this is the move that Orange Venom spoke of in Mecole's thread, when he said it would be be something that would work in our favor. Has to be.

Here's the other interesting thing...Lavert Hill was going to announce at AA game this weekend but cancelled that. It was said he may be someone that would follow Shoop to TN...hmmm. :question:

I didn't read JAllens post to mean we would potentially lose Mecole( not that we ever had him) but that it would help us- can you clarify JAllen? Thanks! Of course if we get Shoop that is good enough for me either way!

We aren't recruiting Mecole on defense so idk how that would help... We arent hiring Pruitt so...

I was kind of wondering if this was CJJ decision and he had an offer somewhere else (like Wilcox leaving in 2011). But Scout reports that TN will own CJJ the last year of his contract - thus clearly he was fired.

Jancek's 2015 salary was $515,000, and he will be owed the final year of his contract. Butch Jones is now tasked with looking for his first new defensive coordinator since accepting the job at Tennessee.

DC John Jancek Out at Tennessee - Connecticut - Scout

I was out running errands and just heard the news that Jancek is out.

Shoop. Make it happen, Butch.

Would love to stick to Jimmy Frank.

:dance2::rock::clapping::dance::pepper:

Reactions: 1 person
I'm wondering if this is the move that Orange Venom spoke of in Mecole's thread, when he said it would be be something that would work in our favor. Has to be.

Here's the other interesting thing...Lavert Hill was going to announce at AA game this weekend but cancelled that. It was said he may be someone that would follow Shoop to TN...hmmm. :question:

To clarify, that's what I meant. As in possible that could be the edge in signing him.

Is Hill still a take? We have Henderson, Osborne, and Buchanan already committed or signed. On the roster Sutton is in limbo, but we have Martin, Moseley, Abernathy (unless the staff considers him a nickel), Miller. Not exactly hurting for depth there.

So I'm not sure how hard we'd be pushing for Hill right now unless we're looking to cut Buchanan loose (seems unlikely this soon after his commitment) or somebody is expected to end up at a different position.

Will someone sell me on Shoop. I see so many posts that are so excited about him. Has he had a championship level Defense? What makes him such a hot hire? Serious question.

Originally Posted by jasonvol18 View Post
Shop is also a secondary coach so possibly Martinez is out and opens up a QB Coach position. Curious to how this plays out. Got a feeling this isn't the last coaching change.

So, this was VFL34's response in the FF:

Your feelings serve you well..... -Obi wan kenobi

4KIWtM6.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Just a guess-

HC- Butch
OC/QB- Debord
OL- Mahoney
RB/Cruiting Coord.- Gillespie
WR- Canales
TE- Scott
DC/DB- Shoop
DL- Stripling
LB- Thigpen
ST- Azzanni

This is a long time to spend with someone to can them:

Jancek had spent the past three seasons as Jones’ coordinator in Knoxville. Prior to that, he was with Jones for three years in the same position at Cincinnati. The two were also on the same staff at Central Michigan in 2003 and 2004

Especially after a decent year despite key injuries and closing with bowl win where you only allowed 6 points:

The Vols were 36th nationally in total defense this season and 16th in the country — and fifth in the SEC — in scoring defense. Their third-down defense was tops in the conference and third of all FBS teams

Vols ‘part ways’ with DC John Jancek |

Are we sure this wasn't a personality conflict or argument? Just curious. I heard Swain say Monday that if CJJ left it would not be because of his performance but because CBJ and him weren't getting along. Don't know if he knows what he is talking about though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back